Credit Cards

Great Canadian Rebates (GCR) 2021 CC Cash Back: Cobalt $120,SCP $100; Amex Biz Cards $50-$150 - Jun 23rd

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 27th, 2021 4:44 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
4349 posts
645 upvotes
Georgetown
choclover wrote: I was thinking the exact same thing BUT at least you got what you were seeking. That makes it a success! I might try to apply sometime soon but don't have a need to spend $4k in the near future. Originally, I applied for the card so that I could pay property tax via a 3rd party processor but the 3rd party processor failed on the $1 test payment (twice) so I didn't want to chance a sizeable payment.
I always find spending a big amount on an Amex to be a bit more challenging - never an issue with Visa\MasterCard... but Amex can be a pain. I have a few months to figure it out though... and if I find a place where I can buy gift cards to top things off if needed it should all work out.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
15822 posts
4566 upvotes
Scarberia
Tiberius wrote: I always find spending a big amount on an Amex to be a bit more challenging - never an issue with Visa\MasterCard... but Amex can be a pain. I have a few months to figure it out though... and if I find a place where I can buy gift cards to top things off if needed it should all work out.
if u got the simply preferredcash cc...best place online to buy gcs is rakuten gift card shop! u get 1% cb and 2% from the cc
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
May 25, 2021
2 posts
1 upvote
If I get approved for Amex SimplyCash CC now. Will I be eligible for welcome offer on preffered card later on?
Oct 7, 2020
159 posts
124 upvotes
Tiberius wrote: I always find spending a big amount on an Amex to be a bit more challenging - never an issue with Visa\MasterCard... but Amex can be a pain. I have a few months to figure it out though... and if I find a place where I can buy gift cards to top things off if needed it should all work out.
A few suggestions that I've used for meeting minimum spend:

- prepay cellphone/internet - this allows you to double dip with the current Amex offer if you have it
- Amazon gift cards are versatile and available just about anywhere - picked one up at Shell recently for some Air Miles offer
- If you buy groceries at any of Sobey's/Safeway or Save-on brands, they take Amex and you can buy the store's grocery gift cards for future use

My ultimate fallback is to make a tax installment payment using Plastiq, but at 2.65%, that is a last resort.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
4349 posts
645 upvotes
Georgetown
BCisBeautiful wrote: A few suggestions that I've used for meeting minimum spend:

- prepay cellphone/internet - this allows you to double dip with the current Amex offer if you have it
- Amazon gift cards are versatile and available just about anywhere - picked one up at Shell recently for some Air Miles offer
- If you buy groceries at any of Sobey's/Safeway or Save-on brands, they take Amex and you can buy the store's grocery gift cards for future use

My ultimate fallback is to make a tax installment payment using Plastiq, but at 2.65%, that is a last resort.
Thanks for the tips! With Sobeys taking Amex, I guess you could buy any gift card they sell to meet the spend.
Oct 7, 2020
159 posts
124 upvotes
Tiberius wrote: Thanks for the tips! With Sobeys taking Amex, I guess you could buy any gift card they sell to meet the spend.
Especially if you are using a Cobalt and getting 5x while you're at it!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
3769 posts
3849 upvotes
GTA
Tiberius wrote: Getting that SCP offer to come up with $500 reward instead of $400 was tedious! I had tried Chrome, Edge, IE, and Firefox on a Win10 machine, and Safari and Chrome on an iPad.... sometimes google would show the $500 offer but when clicked it popped up as $400 on the Amex site. I clear browser history on the Win10 machine for IE, Edge and Firefox and started to go through them again (in private browsing mode first, then non-private)... it finally gave the $500 offer in Firefox in private mode on this second round through the broswers... So, I probably tried 15+ combinations (browser on device - private and on-private) before finally getting the $500 to show up. I also was switching up whether I clicked the first link shown (the paid 'Ad' link) and the next link (the one specific to the deal that would show $400 or $500 in the text about the offer). I believe the click-through that finally worked was the "Ad" link - but maybe it would have worked for either (clicking both after it popped up was consistent with the $500 offer).

Now I just have to hope everything else goes smoothly... GCR cashback payout... and spending 4K to reap the $500 in rewards.
Way to go Tiberius, your persistence paid off!!
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
15822 posts
4566 upvotes
Scarberia
mzmoney wrote: Way to go Tiberius, your persistence paid off!!
i read on reddit churning thread where a guy said he signed up using that select offer to get extra 100$ statement but amex rep claims they don't see that offer on his account..not sure if its true or not..is there a sure way to make sure u get that 100$ statement? or u won't know unless u spend 5$ k in 3 months
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
3769 posts
3849 upvotes
GTA
kulb wrote:
I applied on May 16, was IA, received card on May 19, but still no sign of GCR rebate - looks like my first time I've run into issues with GCR.
MrBigNose wrote: Check with GCR.
Applied on May 7, GCR $100 was posted on May 10, received the card on May 11. (May 8 & 9 were weekends)
kulb wrote:
I have to wait at least 3 weeks from approval date as GCR will not accept inquiry forms submission prior to that.
Howitzer1 wrote:
I applied May 11, also IA, and card arrived on May 19. No GCR $100 yet either - I will wait until around the first week of June before contacting them.
walukupix wrote: Just to chime in along with the other data points.
Applied on April 28 through GCR. It was instant approved.
Received card in the mail on April 30.
As of today, GCR still have not post the $100 rebate yet.

@kulb @Howitzer1 @walukupix, any positive updates on your GCR $100 CB for your newly approved Amex SCP?

- yep, as @MrBigNose said, our recent experience with an Amex IA = 3 days total

for Rebate to show up under 'Current Rebates' and 'Clicks' tabs
Images
  • gcr_currentcashbackrebates_page_30may21.png
  • gcr_clickhistory_page_30may21.png
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2016
1122 posts
1389 upvotes
Ottawa
mzmoney wrote:
@kulb @Howitzer1 @walukupix, any positive updates on your GCR $100 CB for your newly approved Amex SCP?

Nothing yet for me.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
2080 posts
634 upvotes
mzmoney wrote: @kulb @Howitzer1 @walukupix, any positive updates on your GCR $100 CB for your newly approved Amex SCP?

I haven't received the rebate yet.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
3769 posts
3849 upvotes
GTA
Howitzer1 wrote: Nothing yet for me.
kulb wrote: I haven't received the rebate yet.
Hmm, nothing showing up for SCP under 'Current Rebates' and 'Clicks' tabs ... + ad blockers turned off and cookies allowed when you applied?
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4737 posts
3024 upvotes
LaLaLand
I applied for SCP on May 15 and received notification of the GCR rebate on May 17.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
2080 posts
634 upvotes
mzmoney wrote: Hmm, nothing showing up for SCP under 'Current Rebates' and 'Clicks' tabs ... + ad blockers turned off and cookies allowed when you applied?
SCP is there for me under "Clicks" and I was IA, but for some reason rebate did not post.
Mar 6, 2017
242 posts
187 upvotes
mzmoney wrote: @kulb @Howitzer1 @walukupix, any positive updates on your GCR $100 CB for your newly approved Amex SCP?

Still nothing.
I have submitted a Missing Rebate Inquiry. Got the following response.
Sorry about your missing SimplyCash Preferred Card from American Express rebate. Unfortunately, your approval never showed up in the reports from the financial company. This does happen occasionally.

We post rebates automatically for all approvals in the reports we receive. We will have to post your rebate manually. First, we have to inform the financial company. They will check to see if you were in fact approved and you clicked from GCR to go to their application page.

Your inquiry is now active. Click on My Account and select the Inquiries tab to view it.

What Happens Next?
1. Financial Companies investigate inquiries a batch at a time. We will send your inquiry in the first week of June.
2. We will get a response at the very end of June.
3. We will post your rebate into your account when they reply if yours is accepted.
4. We will waive the 58 day wait so you can be paid on July 28.

Thank you for being a member of GreatCanadianRebates.ca,

Best Regards,

MemberCare
The Great Canadian Rebates Team
Apr 7, 2019
912 posts
1022 upvotes
mr2711 wrote: I use Firefox.

App 1 and App 2 were made in Dec 2020. One inquiry is resolved and another is still pending.
App 3 was done in mid-March and inquiry was raised this week.
Just wanted to update everyone on this:
All 3 inquiries resolved by GCR. Got payment for 2 and will get paid for 3rd by end of month.
:)
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1258 posts
45 upvotes
BCisBeautiful wrote: A few suggestions that I've used for meeting minimum spend:

My best trick for meeting minimum spend is using on car/home insurance.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
7054 posts
1207 upvotes
Ottawa
not related to cc, but if i use gcr to purchase an item online, and I get my cashback registered correctly, then the vendor does a partial refund, does the credit in gcr decrease or does it get entirely scrapped?
Jan 30, 2017
578 posts
93 upvotes
Does anybody know if the simply cash back is 10% on 4K or 10% on 5k... I remember a few months ago it was 10% on 5k even tho they were advertising it for 4K... is this still the case

Thanks!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
3769 posts
3849 upvotes
GTA
jeeva86 wrote: not related to cc, but if i use gcr to purchase an item online, and I get my cashback registered correctly, then the vendor does a partial refund, does the credit in gcr decrease or does it get entirely scrapped?
I had a Home Depot discount that did not show up in initial CB amount, and then the 'discount' amount x %age rebate got clawed back later. So, am assuming your GCR cash back will decrease as well, taking into account the partial refund.

Guess that's why GCR payout takes so long, giving them enough time to adjust for refunds :(

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)