Credit Cards

Great Canadian Rebates (GCR) 2022 CC Cash Back: Aug 2022 Update - RBC Avion VI on GCR

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2022 12:14 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
5532 posts
6045 upvotes
GTA

Great Canadian Rebates (GCR) 2022 CC Cash Back: Aug 2022 Update - RBC Avion VI on GCR

Happy 2021!!

Great Canadian Rebates (GCR) has a few Credit Card Cash Back Boosts (for a few Select Retailers too) currently available, with Expiry Dates.

If you're looking for a new Credit Card via GCR, need to check GCR at the beginning/middle/end of each month (or daily/weekly!) as CC Cash Back Rebates change periodically.

Feel free to discuss any existing/new Credit Card Offers of interest, in addition to Cash Back Boosts below.

New to Great Canadian Rebates or a current user? Ask a question (or 2), provide your feedback ... and/or share your experiences!

See Thread Summary for FAQs

gcr_cashback_boosts_2021.png

January 2021 Credit Card Cash Back Boosts *:

#1 MBNA Rewards Platinum Plus® Mastercard® - $65 Rebate
Cash Back Boost until Jan 30/21
Edit: Jan 31/21 = $50

#2 MBNA Alaska Airlines World Elite® Mastercard® - $65 Rebate
Cash Back Boost until Feb 27/21

#3 SimplyCash Preferred Card from American Express - $90 Rebate
Cash Back Boost until Jun 30/21
Edit: Feb 3/21 - end date and logo is no longer showing via Cash Back Boost box home page, however, still on the CB Calendar until end of Feb 2021; tbd if this $90 offer stays the same/continues until 6/30/21

https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/cbbhistory.php

#4 American Express AIR MILES Platinum Credit Card - $100 Rebate
Cash Back Boost until Jun 30/21

Current Credit Card Rebates on Jan 5/21 - see images below *:

#1 Amex - Featured and List of All - highest = Amex AIR MILES Platinum CB Boost = $100 and Amex Simply Cash Preferred = $90 GCR CB
#2 MBNA - Featured and List of All
#3 Scotia - Featured and List of All
#4 CIBC - no Cash Back Rebates currently
#5 HSBC - no Cash Back Rebates currently
#6 Tangerine

*subject to change, snapshot and screenshots on Jan 5/21; see GCR site for most up-to-date CB Rebates.

FYI, I do not work for GCR. Created this thread to help others new to GCR as I remember what it was like when I joined GCR.

Ie. Uncertainty/questions when applying for 1st CC via GCR and not knowing if you missed any steps. Ad blockers! lol

Others with more experience can chime in too, if you care to share.

Cheers!
Images
  • gcr_cashback_boosts_2021.png
  • gcr_amex_featured.png
  • amex_gcr_5jan21.png
  • mbna_featured.png
  • mbna_5jan21.png
  • scotia_featured.png
  • scotia_5jan21.png
  • tangerine_featured.png
  • cibc_5jan21.png
  • hsbc_5jan21.png
Last edited by mzmoney on Aug 8th, 2022 10:22 am, edited 53 times in total.
Thread Summary
How does GCR Work for Credit Card Cash Rebates?

1. Register
2. Check to see what CC is of interest
3. Before completing a CC application, ensure you are logged into GCR and launch + complete application from GCR; see below TIPS!
4. Receive a Cash Back Rebate for your CC Application

For every 'approved' Credit Card application made via GCR, they get paid a commission from the Credit Card provider. They pass most of it back to their users in the form of a Cash Back Rebate.

5. Payment (see post #31 Jan 25/21 for steps and images)

Your GCR account balance including rebates and bonuses are paid by Direct Deposit, Paypal or eGift cards of your choice. See details in the FAQ page.

https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/FAQ/

TIPS:

1. What can I do to ensure that I receive my Cash Back Rebates for my Credit Card application?

- Turn OFF Ad blockers
- Turn ON browser cookies
- login to GCR and do a keyword search for Credit Card Provider/Credit Card
- click on Credit Card from GCR, take note of 'Click History' number before it launches CC Application page
- complete application from the same GCR session
- do not visit other websites in between clicking from GCR and completing the application
- make screenshots and note the Reference # (either Instant Approval/Pending), in case you need to follow up on a Missing Rebate

Merchant Issues

If the link works and it takes you to the merchant website, then your transaction will get tracked. However, there have been instances the merchant made software changes that causes tracking to not work. Some credit card merchants track an order properly but never reports the approval, hence, your rebate will be missing. Simply click the Report Problems link to manually get your rebate.

https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/Help/

2. How do I get paid?

a. eGIFT CARD payments are automatically paid each month by email if your account balance is $10.00 or more for over 58 days. The minimum balance required depends on the eGift card. The individual rebates and bonuses over 58 days old will be paid out.

Each month GCR will issue a new eGift Card * of your choice for the balance of your GreatCanadianRebates.ca account. A bonus of up to 4% will then be deposited into your GCR account. The bonus rate depends on the card chosen. See eGift Card choices and more details.

* https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/gif ... yments.php

b. Direct Deposit payments are automatically paid to your bank account each month if your account balance is $12.00 or more for over 58 days. The individual rebates and bonuses over 58 days old will be paid out.

c. PAYPAL payments are automatically paid to your Paypal account each month if your account balance is $12.00 or more for over 58 days. The individual rebates and bonuses over 58 days old will be paid out.

3. Why didn't I get paid?

You get paid on the 28th of the month only if:
a. You reached the minimum required balance for payment of your payment preference.
b. And each item in that balance is older than 58 days based on the 'Post Date'.

Enjoy your new Credit Card and Cash Back Rebate that will offset the Annual Fee ... or if FYF, happy spending/saving with the extra cash!
351 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
6863 posts
7255 upvotes
How about adding notes about turning off ad-blockers and not wandering away from GCR-launched online applications to keep the link from going stale? And when to expect rebates to appear (1-30 days). These types of topics always come up when GCR is in the mix.
Countdown - 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0. [email protected] 2022-07-26 3:17pm ET.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
5532 posts
6045 upvotes
GTA
Thanks @bizee-bee! Added FAQs in Thread Summary and snapshot of ALL CC current offers by FI as of today, Jan 5th.

Let me know if I need to add anything else/feel free to provide any additional feedback!
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15537 posts
14070 upvotes
Going to the Moon
PTMBAA wrote: Do you work for GCR?
Probably farming :lol:
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
5532 posts
6045 upvotes
GTA
PTMBAA wrote: Do you work for GCR?
titaniumtux wrote: Probably farming :lol:
Nope and nope!

Just trying to help others that are new to GCR as there's lots of questions in other threads ... And I remember the uncertainty of not receiving the first CB Rebate when I joined GCR approx 1.5 or 2 years ago.

And of course, the GCR Pros can comment/share feedback too :)

Cheers!
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13405 posts
8767 upvotes
Markham
A quick question: if i click GCR link to apply credit card, will GCR keep my personal information that I fill in credit card application?

Thanks
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
5532 posts
6045 upvotes
GTA
smartie wrote: A quick question: if i click GCR link to apply credit card, will GCR keep my personal information that I fill in credit card application?

Thanks
Hi @smartie!

Your app is not through GCR per se ... you're logging into GCR, however, still applying via Amex or other FI, so GCR will not see any personal info entered via your CC application :)

Cheers!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
6863 posts
7255 upvotes
smartie wrote: A quick question: if i click GCR link to apply credit card, will GCR keep my personal information that I fill in credit card application?

Thanks
Unlikely. It’s launching the FI’s online application hosted at FI’s own site, and passing a parameter in the URL string that identifies GCR’s source/promo code so the FI knows to give GCR their commission once you’re approved. Commissions are paid by the FIs on an undetermined schedule. Could be the next day, or the next week, or weeks. All depends on when they run their sweeps. Once GCR gets their commission then GCR will in turn give you your share in the form of the cash back rebate.

If your application is approved but you don’t see the GCR rebate after a few weeks, then submit a request for GCR to investigate. Having the FI’s application reference code helps to resolve missing cash back rebates.

Call me silly, but I usually click on the link several times and ensure I have at least a couple of click IDs registered in my GCR click history before I ultimately continue with my true application to apply for the card. Also, if I take too long to complete the CC application then I’ll abort and start over again.
Countdown - 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0. [email protected] 2022-07-26 3:17pm ET.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
5532 posts
6045 upvotes
GTA
BassHole wrote: What is GCR? one if my family member got approved today for this card, so to get the $60?
spena wrote: GCR = Great canadian rebates. Link as follows: https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/det ... Preferred/

@BassHole created this thread shortly after I read your post and @spena's reply in Amex SCP thread.

Hopefully, it's helpful for you and other RFDers :)
Jul 7, 2016
506 posts
1008 upvotes
It is worth noting that although the AMEX SCP offer expires on June 30, 2021, since cash back is paid out once a year in September, you probably want to apply well in advance to get the $4,000 (over 4 months) spending out of the way if you want it paid in September.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
5532 posts
6045 upvotes
GTA
Presents wrote: It is worth noting that although the AMEX SCP offer expires on June 30, 2021, since cash back is paid out once a year in September, you probably want to apply well in advance to get the $4,000 (over 4 months) spending out of the way if you want it paid in September.
Good point @Presents!

Also, the $90 CB is for the GCR Rebate and there's no guarantee that Amex will keep the 10% Offer alive until June 30th*, for Amex CB payout as a Statement Credit in Sept.

* no 'offer end dates' for '10% CB for first 4 months' in Amex Ts+Cs.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
5532 posts
6045 upvotes
GTA
pererac wrote: GCR cashback increased from $100 to $120 for the AMEX Air Miles Platinum Card!
I applied earlier this week when it was $100 :(
Get $331.58 AM cash back + GCR $120 - Annual fee $120
WUS $1500
pererac wrote: $1500 spend yields 150 AM. SUB is 3000 AM. 3150 AM divided by 95AM ($10 increment) equals 33.158. Multiply by $10 equals approx $331.58

@pererac you posted in Amex SCP thread late last year ... it looks like that was a temporary $20 increase only to $120 GCR CB, for a few days.

There's now an expiry date of Air Miles Platinum GCR Rebate at $100, until June 30th. Still, one of the best deals for a 'Cash Back' type CC, provided one collects Air Miles and has it set to Cash Miles:

331.58 - $20*
= 311.58/1,500
= 20.77%

*$120 AF - $100 GCR

Air Miles Cash Miles valued at approx .10526 or 95 AM = $10, redeemable at Metro, Sobeys, Shell, LCBO, etc.

https://rewards.airmiles.ca/cashrewards/

A 20% return after GCR Rebate is awesome for Amex AM Platinum!

p.s. for newbies, @pererac feel free to share your experiences, for CC applications via GCR. @choclover, you too :)
Images
  • cbboost_amex_am_plat.png
Aug 7, 2012
148 posts
193 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm interested in SCP but what if i apply and they give me only $1000 credit Limit. How would i reach the 4k Bonus for $400 without being at 100% utilization ?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
5532 posts
6045 upvotes
GTA
ufcdeals wrote: I'm interested in SCP but what if i apply and they give me only $1000 credit Limit. How would i reach the 4k Bonus for $400 without being at 100% utilization ?
Yes, it's worth it to apply through GCR and get $90 CB towards AF of $100.

If you get a CL of $1k, call Amex to find out 1st Statement Date and spend first $1k.

Since you have 4 months, hopefully you are able to do $1k per month.

However, I don't have experience with whether paying off quickly will reopen back the CL $1k immediately.

Anyone else can help @ufcdeals?
Last edited by mzmoney on Feb 3rd, 2021 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 7, 2020
256 posts
193 upvotes
However, I don't have experience with whether paying off quickly will reopen back the CL $1k immediately.
This worked for the Cobalt when I had a low CL. As soon as a payment posts, you can use the CL again. Hypothetically, you could probably spend as much as $10k in a month by paying as soon purchases post, but it might trigger the fraud detection algorithm if you did so.
Aug 22, 2012
785 posts
1292 upvotes
mzmoney wrote: @pererac you posted in Amex SCP thread late last year ... it looks like that was a temporary $20 increase only to $120 GCR CB, for a few days.

There's now an expiry date of Air Miles Platinum GCR Rebate at $100, until June 30th. Still, one of the best deals for a 'Cash Back' type CC, provided one collects Air Miles and has it set to Cash Miles:

331.58 - $20*
= 311.58/1,500
= 20.77%

*$120 AF - $100 GCR

Air Miles Cash Miles valued at approx .10526 or 95 AM = $10, redeemable at Metro, Sobeys, Shell, LCBO, etc.

https://rewards.airmiles.ca/cashrewards/

A 20% return after GCR Rebate is awesome for Amex AM Platinum!

p.s. for newbies, @pererac feel free to share your experiences, for CC applications via GCR. @choclover, you too :)
Hey, first of all thank you for posting this thread! Very helpful and insightful.

Great deal on this Amex card. I've used up most of my 10% cashback on the Amex Simplycash Preferred card - I'm wondering if 1. I'm eligible for this offer and 2. Worried Amex may clawback my current cashback if they label me as a churner. I've seen some horror stories from last year on them cracking down

Thoughts?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
5532 posts
6045 upvotes
GTA
Enforcer22 wrote: Hey, first of all thank you for posting this thread! Very helpful and insightful.

Great deal on this Amex card. I've used up most of my 10% cashback on the Amex Simplycash Preferred card - I'm wondering if 1. I'm eligible for this offer and 2. Worried Amex may clawback my current cashback if they label me as a churner. I've seen some horror stories from last year on them cracking down

Thoughts?
My pleasure!

You mentioned:. "I've used up most of my 10% cashback on the Amex Simplycash Preferred card"

- as in met your min spend and waiting for Sept CB or received your Statement Credit and still holding OR have cancelled SCP card?

#1 look at # of Amex cards opened, held, and cancelled* in last few years

* after holding one year or less

#2 received any repeat bonuses and/or completed applications via self referral(s)

DPs show crackdown on those with #2, however, #1 may also be reviewed, so YMMV, in applying/cancelling, depending on your Amex history/relationship.

Cheers!
Aug 22, 2012
785 posts
1292 upvotes
mzmoney wrote: My pleasure!

You mentioned:. "I've used up most of my 10% cashback on the Amex Simplycash Preferred card"

- as in met your min spend and waiting for Sept CB or received your Statement Credit and still holding OR have cancelled SCP card?

#1 look at # of Amex cards opened, held, and cancelled* in last few years

* after holding one year or less

#2 received any repeat bonuses and/or completed applications via self referral(s)

DPs show crackdown on those with #2, however, #1 may also be reviewed, so YMMV, in applying/cancelling, depending on your Amex history/relationship.

Cheers!
It's my first Amex card, and I'm coming up on month 4 of 10% spending and almost at the 4k spend (or possibly 5k). I'll redeem the cb in September and cancel in October before my AF posts in November
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
5532 posts
6045 upvotes
GTA
Enforcer22 wrote: It's my first Amex card, and I'm coming up on month 4 of 10% spending and almost at the 4k spend (or possibly 5k). I'll redeem the cb in September and cancel in October before my AF posts in November
Congrats on 1st Amex! You may want to wait to cancel until 30 days after Annual Fee posts, Nov xx/21 +30 days = Dec xx/21. You will get a full refund and can transfer to another Amex or cheque in mail.

If you decide to apply for Amex Air Miles Platinum via GCR, you may also want to consider a 'keeper' Amex with no AF (can apply direct Amex vs GCR) at some point, so that if you decide to cancel the AF cards after 1 year, you still have an Amex card to maintain history/relationship.

Cheers!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)