Hot Deals

[Great Canadian Rebates] MBNA Rewards World Elite® Mastercard® credit card - $60 cash back for sign up

Jan 6, 2013
111 posts
73 upvotes
JONQUIERE
I upvoted just because I found out my card still has 2% cashback since I'm in QC and now I don't have to find a new one.

Thanks for the info guys.
Jun 2, 2014
45 posts
39 upvotes
Markham, ON
Why bother? Just get the Rogers WE with no fee. You have to spend $48000 or more in order to waive the annual fee comparing to Rogers WE.
This guy is too lazy to leave a signature.
Sep 15, 2015
231 posts
140 upvotes
Mooooonnn
zdpz wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 12:35 am

Exactly, TD ruined the best card in Canada, which was the too card for like 7 years running.

I warned at least $1250 a year from this card, now I get $590 Max even though I spend more.

And there's nothing else that offers 2% cash back.

The Rogers card is only good for Rogers customers, and even then, it's not going to yield $1250 a year with my spending.

There are some great cards in the US, but I can't even get those and the conversion fees kill it.

I agree, and I am on the same boat: used to get $1000 plus cash back (50k plus spending). But now I still keep the card because
1. I do not trust Rogers as a rogers internet/cell customer. They made mistake on the bill from time to time and don’t keep the promise on promotion over phone. I don’t want to risk my credit card with them.
2. I heard Rogers card has certain limitation/less freedom for redeeming points, didn’t check myself but probably something like can only redeem as statement credit/once a year/towards Rogers bill, etc
3. MBNA still has no charge for additional card up to 9 card (same card number) so I have applied the card for my wife, parents, and in laws to accumulate together.

I did the calculation comparison:
their cash back drops from 2% to 1.667%; Annual fee $120 from $80.
So for spending 50K, it used to yield $ cash back 1000 minus $80 annual fee, that’s $920 in pocket.
Now at 1.667% for 50K spending it should be $833.33, minus $120, that’s $713.33.
So the difference is $920-$713.33=$206.67, and with $33.33 extra difference for every additional 10k spending.

Even for grandfather card holder with 0 fee, the difference should be $1000-$713.33=$286.67

Considering all above and checking all the other options available on market, I don’t find anything else, other than Rogers unfortunately. And I feel Rogers is not good enough for me to start over again with a credit check hit and change all the auto payment with new card number. Thus I am staying, for now.

To be honest, I feel to charge $80 annual fee is fair. I know they need to keep balance rather than lose money as they are not running a charity. But it sucks when they increase the AF and decrease CB rate at the same time. Not to mention compare to other cards on market at $120+ AF, they should at least keep up with the perks, such as out of province travel insurance, travel delay/cancellations, or some lounge access to make it on par with others.
One punch, ouch man
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1157 posts
355 upvotes
anshiren wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 1:46 pm
I agree, and I am on the same boat: used to get $1000 plus cash back (50k plus spending). But now I still keep the card because
1. I do not trust Rogers as a rogers internet/cell customer. They made mistake on the bill from time to time and don’t keep the promise on promotion over phone. I don’t want to risk my credit card with them.
2. I heard Rogers card has certain limitation/less freedom for redeeming points, didn’t check myself but probably something like can only redeem as statement credit/once a year/towards Rogers bill, etc
3. MBNA still has no charge for additional card up to 9 card (same card number) so I have applied the card for my wife, parents, and in laws to accumulate together.
I'm on the Rogers WE CC, my $0.02 below:

1. Their financial services business is likely separate from their telecom business.
2. That has since changed, you can redeem available cash back credits at any point in time.
3. That's actually a very neat feature, not sure how much Rogers WE card charges.
Oct 21, 2013
167 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Also considering changing from MBNA WE.

Just did a redemption and found that the dollar equivalents redeemed on gift cards are slightly more than cash/cheque:
120pts/$1
vs.
112.55/$1 with GC
Oct 11, 2006
969 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
Latitude57 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 11:42 pm
One of the most mediocre one ? I’m still earning 2% cash back here !
It's per account basis. My card was changed sometimes earlier this year (updated from no annual fee to $120 and lowered redemption to ~1.66%)
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
2369 posts
1690 upvotes
Oakville
kennyluo wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 2:32 pm
It's per account basis. My card was changed sometimes earlier this year (updated from no annual fee to $120 and lowered redemption to ~1.66%)
How do you check what your annual fee is and how much your redemption rate is?
-ZdpZ... ;)
Nov 22, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
After MBNA went down the toilet I opted for the Rogers World Elite Master card 1.75 cash back and Amex SimplyCash preffered 2% cashback. With my spending habits surprisingly, there are not many places that don't accept Amex....if they do I use Rogers.
Jun 4, 2018
80 posts
48 upvotes
anshiren wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 1:46 pm
I completely understand this. Rogers is the most dishonest and inept company I have ever dealt with and I swore years ago never to use them for anything ever again.

Free cable? No thanks. I know they won't honour it and the bill will change within two months.

Trust Rogers with my financial matters? ROFL. I think not.
Sep 15, 2015
231 posts
140 upvotes
Mooooonnn
saladtoss wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 2:17 pm
I'm on the Rogers WE CC, my $0.02 below:

1. Their financial services business is likely separate from their telecom business.
2. That has since changed, you can redeem available cash back credits at any point in time.
3. That's actually a very neat feature, not sure how much Rogers WE card charges.
Thanks for the comments. I believe their credit card department should be better than telecom dept., but still they will need to work harder earn my trust.
Good to know about #2, but when doing the math, I feel it is still not good enough for me to transfer over:
Rate difference is 1.75-1.67=0.08% (I don’t shopping much using foreign transactions), thus $40 difference for 50k spending, and $8 extra for every additional 10k spending. Plus the $120 AF. The difference is less than $200, thus not worth the change, yet.

Someone mentioned AE 2%, I know it is a good card, but not sure how widely it is accepted. I do not like my previous experience several years ago of humbly asking “do you accept AE” while holding another card on hand ready to hand it over if they say no, that’s not the best shopping experience. Plus I shop at Costco a lot.
One punch, ouch man
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
10280 posts
6058 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Only advantage to MBNA is in the massive CL's we MBNA cardholders have. The extended warranty at MBNA is crippled. The MBNA RWE (supposedly a travel card) has no travel-medical coverage. GCR $60 + WB will offset the AF on the first year, but that's still not a compelling reason to sign up.

Those who rely on an MC for "base earn rate" might as well flock to Rogers WE. But, churn at least a few cards per year, and base earn rate becomes irrelevant.

Too bad MBNA has become irrelevant (aside BT's) to most of us.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Oct 11, 2006
969 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
zdpz wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 3:04 pm
How do you check what your annual fee is and how much your redemption rate is?
i received a mail from mbna indicated the changes, at that some some people already had the changes for a while for their accounts.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
2369 posts
1690 upvotes
Oakville
So what card should we all move to if this card is a confirmed dudd
-ZdpZ... ;)
Dec 1, 2009
242 posts
146 upvotes
Ottawa
zdpz wrote: