• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2009 2:31 am
[OP]
Aug 1, 2009
230 posts
191 upvotes
Ontario

great ps3 deal

from dell.ca free shipping: Holy crap is all I have to say!!!

This limited edition bundle includes the game, Uncharted Drake's Fortune, a new DUALSHOCK
20 replies
Sep 14, 2008
512 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
not great, this is something they do regularly.
[OP]
Aug 1, 2009
230 posts
191 upvotes
Ontario
canabal wrote: not great, this is something they do regularly.
If I had to buy a new PS3, it is the best bundle around right now. But you are right, they do this regularly, however just because it is often a great deal, does not make it any less of a great deal ...
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17528 posts
626 upvotes
Wait till after the 18th before buying, supposed to be a price drop then.
[OP]
Aug 1, 2009
230 posts
191 upvotes
Ontario
Super strokey wrote: Wait till after the 18th before buying, supposed to be a price drop then.
If I waited for a price drop, or the next "deal" I would never have bought my PS3 in the first place, or my TV etc. Most of these rumours about price drops tend to be the competition creating fear, so people do not buy.

If you get a "good deal" like getting this bundle, in the end, you probably are still ahead then buying it next month at a lower price.

That would be like saying " I am not buying MW2 in oct. because MW3 is going to be out soon after!!!"
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7796 posts
974 upvotes
abirdd wrote: If I waited for a price drop, or the next "deal" I would never have bought my PS3 in the first place, or my TV etc. Most of these rumours about price drops tend to be the competition creating fear, so people do not buy.

If you get a "good deal" like getting this bundle, in the end, you probably are still ahead then buying it next month at a lower price.

That would be like saying " I am not buying MW2 in oct. because MW3 is going to be out soon after!!!"
On the whole I agree with you, waiting for pricedrops is ridiculous, but if you're only 8 days away might as well wait.

It would be analogous to buying a macbook right before the student discount sale. Then again, I bought my PS3 BNIB for $300 from craigslist in January and have never looked back.

This deal is OK. I think the one from Walmart that comes with Killzone 2 + LBP (and Uncharted...) for the same price is better.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2007
1068 posts
2 upvotes
HBP wrote: On the whole I agree with you, waiting for pricedrops is ridiculous, but if you're only 8 days away might as well wait.

It would be analogous to buying a macbook right before the student discount sale. Then again, I bought my PS3 BNIB for $300 from craigslist in January and have never looked back.

This deal is OK. I think the one from Walmart that comes with Killzone 2 + LBP (and Uncharted...) for the same price is better.
I liked the walmart bundle better. 3 great games with a 160gb console.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10794 posts
668 upvotes
Scarborough
abirdd wrote: If I waited for a price drop, or the next "deal" I would never have bought my PS3 in the first place, or my TV etc. Most of these rumours about price drops tend to be the competition creating fear, so people do not buy.

the deal is not good in the first place. Actually I don't think the deal is worth much to begin with. Uncharted and the PAIN voucher comes with the system. I think your only getting the controller and the headset.

I know waiting is an issue, but it is only 8 days away. Right now, all the 80gbs in Europe are dropping in price by 100pounds. All the past rumors were dumb in my opinion. E3 was not the right time for a price drop, price drops should always occur before the holiday season. W

This is TRULY the first time for an indication of a SLIM console and/or a price drop. First off, about a week ago, 7/11 in Japan received notices that they are no longer going to be getting anymore shipments of the 80gb. That is the only console version of PS3 in Japan. Now, its the price drops occurring across Europe. Something is up this time.
Jan 23, 2007
926 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
IIRC the rumours are about the PS3 Slim rather than a price drop. Regardless, this deal is okay but nothing to get excited over.
Apr 3, 2009
305 posts
59 upvotes
Edmonton
Bonks wrote: IIRC the rumours are about the PS3 Slim rather than a price drop. Regardless, this deal is okay but nothing to get excited over.
There has been noise about both the Slim and a price drop.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2006
1506 posts
95 upvotes
There is going to be NO price drop. The CEO already stated, there will be NO PRICE DROPS in the future. He stated, if they do a price drop they will LOSE money. And, they cannot afford to do a price drop.

So, I really don't see a price drop coming UNLESS stores want to take a hit them selves.
GamerzPlace
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10794 posts
668 upvotes
Scarborough
harryt wrote: There is going to be NO price drop. The CEO already stated, there will be NO PRICE DROPS in the future. He stated, if they do a price drop they will LOSE money. And, they cannot afford to do a price drop.

So, I really don't see a price drop coming UNLESS stores want to take a hit them selves.
The issue with that statement can be solved with one question:

WHY WOULD ANYONE TELL YOU THERE IS A PRICE DROP BEFORE AN ANNOUNCEMENT?

It makes no sense whatsoever. You will stall your console sales if you tell people in May or whenever that interview happened (probably after E3) and say a price drop is coming in the holidays. Any company would literally sell no units if they did that. Its idiotic.

Even if there isn't a price drop, a SLIM is possible. Even if the SLIM comes out, then thats already an upgrade. The system itself will be smaller, the components will be smaller = less heat, less power. That can ensure this machine will likely last longer than the ones that came before it.

The wait is one week. If anyone cannot stand being without a console for a week, I feel really sad for them. Just wait the one week and decide right after.
Apr 3, 2009
305 posts
59 upvotes
Edmonton
harryt wrote: There is going to be NO price drop. The CEO already stated, there will be NO PRICE DROPS in the future. He stated, if they do a price drop they will LOSE money. And, they cannot afford to do a price drop.

I guess you missed the part where they announced manufacturing costs for the PS3 has dropped by 70%.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2006
1506 posts
95 upvotes
tzhuge wrote: I guess you missed the part where they announced manufacturing costs for the PS3 has dropped by 70%.
Where is this? I just read an article maybe 3 weeks back, that sony couldn't afford to sell for less.
thechampion116 wrote: The issue with that statement can be solved with one question:

WHY WOULD ANYONE TELL YOU THERE IS A PRICE DROP BEFORE AN ANNOUNCEMENT?

It makes no sense whatsoever. You will stall your console sales if you tell people in May or whenever that interview happened (probably after E3) and say a price drop is coming in the holidays. Any company would literally sell no units if they did that. Its idiotic.

Even if there isn't a price drop, a SLIM is possible. Even if the SLIM comes out, then thats already an upgrade. The system itself will be smaller, the components will be smaller = less heat, less power. That can ensure this machine will likely last longer than the ones that came before it.

The wait is one week. If anyone cannot stand being without a console for a week, I feel really sad for them. Just wait the one week and decide right after.
You do know, MANY times console creators announce price cuts TO COME. They don't mention WHEN eg. date or month. They mention we will HAVE a price cut in the near future. And, they END it with that statement.
That doesn't mean sales end, because I could be waiting 4 months after that announcement and STILL no price cut, and just say screw this I'm gonna buy it anyways.

Usually CEO's at press conferences GIVE hints about what's to come. They don't outright lie to the public and then have something happen.
GamerzPlace
Apr 3, 2009
305 posts
59 upvotes
Edmonton
harryt wrote: Where is this? I just read an article maybe 3 weeks back, that sony couldn't afford to sell for less.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6214569.ht ... bj=6214569

Here... the CFO said that at the earnings report, so a completely credible source. I'm sorry but you're being either naive or argumentative. I doubt the costs dropped that much over night; they probably stop losing money on each unit quite a while ago. Sony's CEO was just plain BSing when he made that comment, but of course it was a very deliberate statement to try to mitigate damage to sales due to price cut rumors.