• Jun 20th, 2019 7:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
9139 posts
1164 upvotes
Vancouver

Greater Vancouver public EV charging thread

Maybe my Googling skills aren't what they used to be but I can't for the life of me find an active discussion of local public charging (malls, municipal sites, dealerships, etc.). Like rumors/confirmations of new ones coming, out of service notices, changes to service levels/costs, accessibility issues, etc.

I've seen the check-ins on Plugshare act as a pseudo discussion forum but that doesn't work well and it's not what it was meant for.

The thing that originally sparked my curiosity were those chargers installed long ago in Metrotown, along the back wall on P1 near the entrance to the Metrotower parking area. There are signs that say for Metrotower only during business hours but they would be open to the public after 6:00 and on weekends. Which would be great for one of the busiest charging locations in the city (constantly full from before the mall opens until after it closes) but they seem to be eternally taped off, other than a period of a couple weeks a few months ago, for the better part of a year. Anyone know anything about them?

Also any updates on the upcoming Burnaby Supercharger? I read a rumor somewhere it would be in the new Brentwood Mall?
General Radek had some good ideas.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1794 posts
1120 upvotes
If you charge at home you can avoid all of these hassles. Only time I use public charging is when I outdrive my range, which is hard to do.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
9139 posts
1164 upvotes
Vancouver
I don't think it's anyone's primary source of charging but that doesn't mean it's not worth considering.
Aug 17, 2005
95 posts
14 upvotes
Vancouver
1226 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2019 5:17 pm
any updates on the upcoming Burnaby Supercharger? I read a rumor somewhere it would be in the new Brentwood Mall?
Not a rumor, there is a development permit application to re-purpose the old Sears building that you can see on the city's website. But that was before Musk's proclamation that all retail centres will be closed and then backtracking a few days later.

Regardless, I would say it's a minimum of 4 years away (I think it's in the part of the redevelopment that is two stages away).
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
9139 posts
1164 upvotes
Vancouver
faston wrote:
Jun 20th, 2019 5:38 pm
Not a rumor, there is a development permit application to re-purpose the old Sears building that you can see on the city's website. But that was before Musk's proclamation that all retail centres will be closed and then backtracking a few days later.

Regardless, I would say it's a minimum of 4 years away (I think it's in the part of the redevelopment that is two stages away).
Tesla website says coming in 2019 though? Musk is certainly known for overpromising but when it comes to superchargers they've actually generally lived up to their promises.

https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/findus#/bou ... percharger