Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Green Ontario Fund

ON - new Gov't rebates for insulation heat pumps, etc

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2019 2:52 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
3292 posts
988 upvotes
i need both attic and some new windows, so let's see how this goes, but would be hassle to have windows install now, so most likely Spring time
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2008
2690 posts
1741 upvotes
Home
Does a vertical geothermal setup make financial sense given how cheap natural gas (assuming you use it to heat your house) is ATM?

For an average house. Quick googling indicates a 2000 sqft home would need 3 ton system and would cost about 35k in Ontario all in for a vertical system. With the gov rebate that's still 26k (35k minus 3k/ton rebate). That system would need to cost less than 20k all in before 9k rebate before it would start making any financial sense. If you gotta pay more than 10k after rebate than the pay back would be too long for an average house/consumption of Nat. Gas.

I chose the vertical loop geothermal because it's the one I think most would be able to install as you dont need much land or access to water/pond. I'm thinking this geothermal only makes sense if you need to install heating/cooling system from scratch, not replace/augment an existing and functioning high efficiency natural gas system.

Thoughts? Actual acurate numbers (rather than my off the cuff numbers)?
Fizz Mobile $ 4.80 USA CAN 45 GB
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
3673 posts
4140 upvotes
rogerrabbit168 wrote: i need both attic and some new windows, so let's see how this goes, but would be hassle to have windows install now, so most likely Spring time
Those are the main two items for me, I know my attic requires some insulation blown in for sure. Windows feel cold, sometimes a very light draft, so I would think they will need to be upgraded. Don't know though how would they know which window needs to be replaced, and which is fine?
Stay strong, situation always looks harder and that it will never end when you are in the middle of it, but remember past experiences, everything has an ending.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4102 posts
2980 upvotes
Kitchener
toronto_slim wrote: New provincial gov't rebate announced today for insulation, heat pumps, etc. The insulation rebates ($1-$2/sqft) look pretty generous, especially on a cold day like this :-) . Also a nice website with an at-a-glance view listing multiple programs from gas & electricity providers. Click on My Home and fill in your postal code.
I'm still waiting for a call from GreenOn for my install -- I got an email from them today, actually, so I guess they're starting to roll it out.

Thinking of doing insulation around the house too. Though my home heating bill really isn't that much...for one month between January 19-February 19, 2016 (because it was cooler than 2017 winter) my gas bill for 31 days was $102 -- including heating the water and using the oven/stove -- this includes a fixed charge, so if I minus $45 off of that (typical summer bill) it works out to $60 a month to heat the place -- temperature set to 22ºC in the day and 20.5ºC at night.

Far cry from when we had electric heat, something like $300 additional each month...ouch.
Why can't we all just get along?
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2004
1041 posts
228 upvotes
Hamilton
I RFD wrote: Does a vertical geothermal setup make financial sense given how cheap natural gas (assuming you use it to heat your house) is ATM?

For an average house. Quick googling indicates a 2000 sqft home would need 3 ton system and would cost about 35k in Ontario all in for a vertical system. With the gov rebate that's still 26k (35k minus 3k/ton rebate). That system would need to cost less than 20k all in before 9k rebate before it would start making any financial sense. If you gotta pay more than 10k after rebate than the pay back would be too long for an average house/consumption of Nat. Gas.

I chose the vertical loop geothermal because it's the one I think most would be able to install as you dont need much land or access to water/pond. I'm thinking this geothermal only makes sense if you need to install heating/cooling system from scratch, not replace/augment an existing and functioning high efficiency natural gas system.

Thoughts? Actual acurate numbers (rather than my off the cuff numbers)?
I have geothermal as gas is not available where I live, so we are paying about double of what we used to pay for gas heating at the previous house. This is not talking about the cost of the system itself, just comparing monthly hydro bills to previous gas+hydro. Cooling is different story, it certainly costs less (probably around 30% less) to cool using geothermal, but it is impossible for me to provide accurate numbers.
“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.” ― Terry Pratchett, Hogfather
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4102 posts
2980 upvotes
Kitchener
ysl5710 wrote: Can someone explain. Why people are avoiding contractors? How much do contractors cost to today's your best pump and insulation? Guv said it will rebate up to 6000$.

Little confused at this.
We had our attic insulated, I believe at that time is was part of the Conservatives Action Plan. Anyway, in the end, total cost to us was $0.

Unsure if my walls need insulation, as I mentioned in previous post, heating is around $60/month, give or take $20 or so, I guess, depending on how cold it gets.
Why can't we all just get along?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5602 posts
3999 upvotes
GTA
ATLien69 wrote: Pretty unfair that there is no rebate if you do the work yourself.
Wouldn't want to take them jobs away from contractors now would you?

Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
3292 posts
988 upvotes
PriceHunter wrote: Those are the main two items for me, I know my attic requires some insulation blown in for sure. Windows feel cold, sometimes a very light draft, so I would think they will need to be upgraded. Don't know though how would they know which window needs to be replaced, and which is fine?
if yours are the old wooden type window, I would change them all if this rebate works out in your favour. For me, previous owner only changed some windows, like half the house's windows, so I got the rest of the old wooden type to change.

I recently changed my old furnace and air conditioner out, and I already notice a decrease in electricity and gas consumption, so can't wait to get the attic and the rest of the windows done
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3606 posts
2409 upvotes
Mississauga
So if I have to get my attic insulation updated, do I just need to get it done through an approved contractor? Or do I need an energy audit before and after as well to be able to get the rebate?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
3673 posts
4140 upvotes
rogerrabbit168 wrote: if yours are the old wooden type window, I would change them all if this rebate works out in your favour. For me, previous owner only changed some windows, like half the house's windows, so I got the rest of the old wooden type to change.

I recently changed my old furnace and air conditioner out, and I already notice a decrease in electricity and gas consumption, so can't wait to get the attic and the rest of the windows done
My current house is around 13 years old, and the windows look like they are double layered, inner frame is plastic, only the window housing is wood. Some of them however start to have some sweating in between the glass layers.
Stay strong, situation always looks harder and that it will never end when you are in the middle of it, but remember past experiences, everything has an ending.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
IndyBeak wrote: So if I have to get my attic insulation updated, do I just need to get it done through an approved contractor? Or do I need an energy audit before and after as well to be able to get the rebate?
You require an energy audit to get any rebates. You will be rebated for the audit as well.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
I'm hoping to upgrade my old 80% efficiency furnace, add attic insulation, replace most of my windows, and the washer/dryer as well. Maybe insulate the attached garage as well if possible.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
shabby wrote: Wouldn't want to take them jobs away from contractors now would you?

+1, part of this program is actually a make work program to keep people from being unemployed.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2002
2552 posts
403 upvotes
Durham Region
Yeah really when I can do the job for 1/3 of the price myself. I understand a contractor for some of the tougher jobs, but installing insulation in my basement is not exactly rocket science.
shabby wrote: Wouldn't want to take them jobs away from contractors now would you?

Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3606 posts
2409 upvotes
Mississauga
engineered wrote: You require an energy audit to get any rebates. You will be rebated for the audit as well.
Are you sure about this. I remember it was required under the existing insulation rebate program. But this one looks a bit different. From the wordings, it appears that no audit is required. The only requirement appears to be to go through the approved contractor.

How it Works

GreenON Rebates makes upgrading your home easy.

Work with a participating contractor to purchase and install your insulation or windows.
Your contractor will submit your rebate application on your behalf.
Once you have validated that the work has been installed, submit your proof of purchase and you will receive your rebate cheque in the mail in approximately 4-8 weeks.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
3673 posts
4140 upvotes
engineered wrote: You require an energy audit to get any rebates. You will be rebated for the audit as well.
Sorry, don't see any of that mentioned on the GreenOn website, can you please show me where you find this?

My understanding is that the contractor would be your first point to start.
Sep 26, 2016
38 posts
19 upvotes
I’ve got ecobee3 lite installed through the program.

Calling in and making appointment after getting the email was easy.

Hoping to take advantage of newly rolled out programs.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3606 posts
2409 upvotes
Mississauga
PriceHunter wrote: Sorry, don't see any of that mentioned on the GreenOn website, can you please show me where you find this?

My understanding is that the contractor would be your first point to start.
It is slightly confusing at this moment. I am very certain that there was an existing rebate program for the insulation, for which a pre and post audit was required. I think the conditions were something like this:
Get a pre audit and fulfill at least 2 of all the listed recommendations provided by the auditor to qualify for the rebates. Then do a post audit and apply for rebates for all the recommendations that you implemented.

But the current program sounds different. They have a list of approved contractors, who I believe are authorized to so a assessment or mini audit you can say, and then apply the rebate on your behalf. From the wordings on GreenON website, it definitely appears that no audit is requited to be done from our side. This pdf has more details on eligibility and such.
Qualifying-GreenON-Rebates-Measures-and-Program-Rules-20171204.pdf
Search for it on Google.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
3673 posts
4140 upvotes
IndyBeak wrote: It is slightly confusing at this moment. I am very certain that there was an existing rebate program for the insulation, for which a pre and post audit was required. I think the conditions were something like this:
Get a pre audit and fulfill at least 2 of all the listed recommendations provided by the auditor to qualify for the rebates. Then do a post audit and apply for rebates for all the recommendations that you implemented.

But the current program sounds different. They have a list of approved contractors, who I believe are authorized to so a assessment or mini audit you can say, and then apply the rebate on your behalf. From the wordings on GreenON website, it definitely appears that no audit is requited to be done from our side. This pdf has more details on eligibility and such.
Qualifying-GreenON-Rebates-Measures-and-Program-Rules-20171204.pdf
Search for it on Google.
What you are referring to is "Enbridge Smart Saving" program, which requires a pre and post audit, and to implement at least 2 of the recommendation to get 15% more energy efficiency to get your incentive. Note that you can double dip using that and the greenon, you need to cooridnate and plan. Note also that program does not care which contractor you use, as long as you achieve the 15% energy efficiency.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)