ON only - Free Smart Thermostat program is back

Deal Link:
Savings:
100%
Expiry:
June 30, 2018
Retailer:
GreenOn
If you missed it when signups first happened last fall registrations for the GreenON (aka Ontario government) program for a free smart thermostat and free installation is back.

Terms & conditions are surprisingly friendly. Must be for a house (apartments, condos can't get a free one - they only get a discount). Your choice of ecobee 3 Lite, Nest E or Honeywell Lyric T6. You also get a 'home energy report' later on identifying other gov't and gas company programs for which your house is eligible.

I signed up last fall and could have had one installed last month but it's for our central air conditioning only so I deferred the installation until mid-April when the weather is warm enough to power up the air conditioner to make sure the thermostat is working properly.

If you're going to post about how one of the political parties is going to cancel carbon-footprint-based programs if they win the election in June then go ahead. I tend not to plan my life around the promises of unelected politicians. But if you DO believe it I suppose it's a reason to register early :-)

Link: https://www.greenon.ca/en/programs/gree ... tallations
739 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
18817 posts
6422 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks OP, I can apply again for my 2nd rental property :)
Dec 23, 2015
134 posts
329 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
They just installed mine a few weeks ago from last years sign up
Was pretty much hassle free, they allow you to pick a time online and then they call you the day before to verify
Overall was a pleasant experience and I will recommend my family members to sign up
I choose Nest but to each their own
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
2943 posts
453 upvotes
What tstats do they offer. I have the t5 lyric from endbridge
BF18F266-8095-4A3C-B40E-80D2F63F0056.png
*SIG: OptiPlex™ 790 i5-2400 @3.1ghz 12gb DDR3 ram win10pro w/radeon rx460 rogers gigabit VIP using D-Link DIR-890L AC3200
Apr 14, 2004
178 posts
103 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Thanks for the heads up OP! I wasn't living in an eligible property last year but I am now, and I was seriously planning on buying one myself. It's a good thing I procrastinated!
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
2964 posts
612 upvotes
Mississauga
Had my home recently done as well as my moms. I picked the Ecobee because it was natively compatible with my smartthings. My mom got the nest. They called in advance to set up an appointment and then called the day before as a reminder. The install was smooth both times.

They do ask survey questions about the age of the home, how old the furnace/AC units are, if your existing appliances are energy star rated, if you have solar panels, if your car is electric or hybrid, etc...we didn't find these questions overly invasive, but you should be aware.

Other than that, no issues.
Jul 20, 2006
17 posts
3 upvotes
If I'm currently using a programmable thermostat (non-wifi, just basic Honeywell programmable thermostat), am I still eligible for this GreenOn to get a new Nest/Ecobee?
Sep 12, 2017
661 posts
47 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Mar 20th, 2018 1:51 pm
Thanks OP, I can apply again for my 2nd rental property :)
Do your renters have remote access to the device as well as yourself for control/monitoring?
Feb 20, 2013
100 posts
37 upvotes
Ottawa
signing up for my parents this time, time to replace their ancient thermostat.
thank you!
Oct 5, 2014
58 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Which thermostat would you guys recommend? I noticed it isn't the newer models, but wanted to know which one is the best.
Feb 13, 2016
108 posts
30 upvotes
I keep getting this error message after registering:

Sorry!
We have encountered an error and are unable to complete your request. Please try again.

Is this program not available for Milton residents?
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
2964 posts
612 upvotes
Mississauga
pigacc wrote:
Mar 20th, 2018 2:21 pm
If I'm currently using a programmable thermostat (non-wifi, just basic Honeywell programmable thermostat), am I still eligible for this GreenOn to get a new Nest/Ecobee?
Based on the wording in the TOS and how you described your thermostat, I would say yes.

"At a minimum, to be eligible to participate in the Program, the Property must have an existing thermostat (which is not a Smart Thermostat) that can be removed and decommissioned. “Smart Thermostat” means a smart learning thermostat with advanced features and functions, which at a minimum shall include Wi-Fi enablement, remote access, occupancy scheduling and geofencing"
Last edited by Tig on Mar 20th, 2018 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 17, 2015
150 posts
25 upvotes
Got mine installed last week, my original pick was ecobee but the installer said i don't have c wire, it's better to go with Nest, but i fund out that Nest doesn't support multiple sensors and i really don't that smoky display, the app is not user friendly. Called GreenON see if i get exchange to ecobee, waiting for the customer solution department to respond.
Anybody else ran into the same situation?
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
13583 posts
4683 upvotes
Oakville
pigacc wrote:
Mar 20th, 2018 2:21 pm
Yeah, you're fine. Basic programmable won't make you ineligible. That's what I had in the fall when I got mine.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB recipient
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
17307 posts
5461 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
i applied for the $100 condo rebate even though I installed my ecobee in June. Application went through but it'll probably be denied. Kinda BS that it has to be from Dec 13th onwards. I'm a second class citizen because I decided to do a summertime tstat upgrade.
deleted to keep the site family friendly. Was about copping sick fadez.
Well there's no sick fadez left to be copped now that the regimen cannot be admired in all its glory
RIP sick fadez.

Thread Information

There are currently 10 users viewing this thread. (4 members and 6 guests)

thychubbz, crm2003, dealsucker, viking