Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
GreenOn

ON only - Free Smart Thermostat program is back

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2019 3:35 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2009
6111 posts
7132 upvotes
Whitby
wearysky wrote: Pretty sure you can still tell the Nest to stay off during those times even if somebody is home.

>>

Here is handy article. I think I will be going with the Ecobee. Thanks.

https://www.howtogeek.com/259644/nest-v ... d-you-buy/

It's between Ecobee and Nest. Ecobee has better integration with SmartThings if you've got other home automation stuff, and it's a Canadian company if that matters to you (it should). I think Nest integrates better with the Apple world though? Homekit, maybe? I can't remember, as I don't use that shit so I never looked into it too much. SmartThings integration was what mattered to me.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2010
4133 posts
2172 upvotes
LyGuy wrote: Bought a new Nest 3rd gen for $240 after tax on Ebay, can get $100 rebate from Greenon so $140 after all said and done. Have no installed it yet.
Debating whether I should sell it and go for the free ecobee lite instead ...I do like the style/interface of the regular Nest though
I returned my Ecobee 3 lite to Homedepot to get the free product + installation. But the waiting time... ugh.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
LyGuy wrote: Bought a new Nest 3rd gen for $240 after tax on Ebay, can get $100 rebate from Greenon so $140 after all said and done. Have no installed it yet.
Debating whether I should sell it and go for the free ecobee lite instead ...I do like the style/interface of the regular Nest though
After it's installed and setup; you'll likely never touch it again!
I never make anymore changes on the physical unit, as everything an be done via the app.
May 21, 2011
133 posts
151 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: These "smart" tstats as is will save you nothing after all said and done.
I have been using the Ecobee with sensors since 2014 and saw $0 in savings!
The only theroritical savings, is not allowing me to forget to turn off the heat/ac when I'm away/
You got that right. This smart program is just a divisionary tactic by the government away from the real culprit and that is the monopoly supplier of gas like Enbridge with their high gas bills and the forced water heater rentals providers like Cricket who bill you monthly min $25 on Enbridge bills but provide no monthly service (just a pure cash grab). I too have Nest and everyday it gives some kind of bogus report about how much it 'saved' because I was away from the house for an hour. Just like the high cost of electricity where you have to do laundry at all kinds of odd hours to save.
Banned
May 29, 2009
399 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
dyalect wrote: Of the three choices which thermostat is the best??? Recommendations anyone?

ecobee3 lite, Honeywell Lyric T6 and Nest Thermostat E
The person who install my thermostat told me that the majority chose Nest and ecobee is next popular. Almost none for Honeywell
Deal Guru
May 23, 2003
10229 posts
1652 upvotes
GTA
Do you need wifi/internet connection for these to work or can they be used without internet access as well? I was thinking of requesting's for my parent's house but they currently don't have internet (plan is to eventually get internet and teach them more on how to use it). Anyone know if internet access is required for this program too (I understood that they are allowed to collect some data as part of the program).
Banned
May 29, 2009
399 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
dantey wrote: I'm thinking of going with the Nest as I don't care as much for the room sensors.
But I have a feeling I might consume more as my 7 day programmer tstat is setup to be "off" during work hours, but now I have someone roaming around the home during those times.
You can turn off the activity sensors in the Nest app. It will then use your phone location only to decide if you are away from home and set to ECO mode. Of course, the person inside your house while you are away can always set the temperature back to normal mode by adjusting the Nest device
Last edited by tempchum on Mar 22nd, 2018 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1272 posts
765 upvotes
rapashoo wrote: I returned my Ecobee 3 lite to Homedepot to get the free product + installation. But the waiting time... ugh.
The ecobee lite is exactly what you're getting in the GreenOn program, so it makes sense to return and wait to get it for free. Plus there isn't much difference between the lite and non-lite version.
But I bought the regular Nest which has a different phyiscal design than the Nest-E, and probably more features.
THE CHILDREN ARE FINE!!!
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
YLSF wrote: Do you need wifi/internet connection for these to work or can they be used without internet access as well? I was thinking of requesting's for my parent's house but they currently don't have internet (plan is to eventually get internet and teach them more on how to use it). Anyone know if internet access is required for this program too (I understood that they are allowed to collect some data as part of the program).
They aren't collecting any data. The thermostat companies do, but that's unrelated to this program, they colelct it from everyone that has one.

If you don't have internet, it kinda defeats many of the smart aspects of the thermostat. You can still use it on the wall but none of the other features will work (including app access).
Aug 23, 2005
693 posts
536 upvotes
Ontario
I went for the Ecobee for these reasons over the Nest:
  1. Full colour LCD
  2. 3 year warranty vs 1 for the nest
  3. Local weather forecast built-in
  4. Canadian company
Overall it works really well and the app is easy to use on Android.

One thing I don't really care for is the black colour of the unit. It's more of an aesthetic nitpick but it really stands in stark contrast to my nearby ERV control and light switch which are off-white. Also, it comes with a mounting plate that you can use to hide previous mounting drill holes from your old thermostat but the plate is also white.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
canin40 wrote: divisionary tactic
What's that?
forced water heater rentals providers like Cricket who bill you monthly min $25
"Forced"? By whom?

You have a choice. Only chumps (and short-term home owners) rent water heaters. You can install your own gas or electric water heater. The typical cost is about $1,200 installed. That saves 25x12= $300/year. A new water heater comes with 6-year warranty so you save money with no risk even if the water heater dies as soon as the warranty ends. But typically they last much longer. I installed one in 2001 that was replaced earlier this year. So I got $300 x 17 = $5,100 in savings on what cost me $680 back then.

Google, as well as RFD threads, will provide lots of details.
Just like the high cost of electricity where you have to do laundry at all kinds of odd hours to save.
Weekends and holidays are "odd hours"? After 7pm on weekdays is "odd hours"? That seems an odd characterization of "odd."
veni, vidi, Visa
May 21, 2011
133 posts
151 upvotes
Maybe you have never bought a new home or relatively new home in Ontario, but as per my knowledge most new homes have 10 year agreements with water heater rental companies which you have to sign up for if you want to buy the house from any builder. What I mean by 'forced' is that builders in Ontario do not give you a choice of installing your own water heater. You have to sign up with one of the water heater rental companies. Those who buy the house from you also have to sign up to the rental agreement. What I meant by diversionary tactic is that you are getting an electronic toy to play with when the real cost which keep your bills high is the cost that Enbridge charges per cuft of gas ( The government is not providing this thermostat for free just because)
Sep 3, 2015
196 posts
127 upvotes
Kitchener- Waterloo
Has anyone run into a situation where they don't have c wire and installer from Green ON actually installs that for you. I think this is necessary for ecobee. I have installer coming this weekend and want to be prepared. Thank you. Also do they charge anything to install c wire?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
lifemusic wrote: Has anyone run into a situation where they don't have c wire and installer from Green ON actually installs that for you. I think this is necessary for ecobee. I have installer coming this weekend and want to be prepared. Thank you. Also do they charge anything to install c wire?
They won't install the c wire. They'll just install the PEK on your furnace.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
canin40 wrote: Maybe you have never bought a new home or relatively new home in Ontario, but as per my knowledge most new homes have 10 year agreements with water heater rental companies which you have to sign up for if you want to buy the house from any builder.
No I wasn't aware of that. I'll add it to the list of reasons why I refuse to buy new houses/condos.

Did you know that you can buy out these contracts from the rental companies? Yes, the buy out is expensive, especially in the early years, but it may still be worth it if you intend to live in a place for a while. Beware that some rental companies charge fees that are in violation of provincial legislation. Google for details.
What I meant by diversionary tactic...
I was taking you at your word: "divisionary" and trying to figure out who/what was being divided ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2008
1580 posts
289 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: The $100 bill credit took two billing cycles to show up for me.
+1 same here
Deal Guru
May 23, 2003
10229 posts
1652 upvotes
GTA
wearysky wrote:
If you don't have internet, it kinda defeats many of the smart aspects of the thermostat.
Ok thanks, it was more for future use as I will probably set them up with internet down the road and switch over to VOIP, etc.
Aug 29, 2011
187 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure if this has been asked.

Will utility company be able to remotely turn up the thermostat in summer peak hours?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
jumpingThrill wrote: Not sure if this has been asked.

Will utility company be able to remotely turn up the thermostat in summer peak hours?
Probably not if you did not give them permission. There is a $75 alectra rebate that gives alectra to remotely shut off AC on peak time. You can always reset your ecobee or nest after you give them permission. However, rebate don't seems to be working conjunction with free thermostat program.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
jumpingThrill wrote: Not sure if this has been asked.

No, they will not. This isn't like the PeakSaver program.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)