Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
GreenOn

ON only - Free Smart Thermostat program is back

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2019 3:35 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20459 upvotes
chenzj wrote: When the technician come to my house to install the ecobee, he told me my wire from furnace to thermostat is too thin and can't install the new smart thermostat because it need thinker wire, does anyone has the same expericece? do I need to change to thinker wire for it?

Thanks
The 'typical' cable is 18/5. The cable I have is 20/5. The installer commented that the wire is a bit on the thin side. My comment was unless the thermostat draws huge current, the losses will be small and since my furnace is literally just below the thermostat, I don't have a long run of cable to worry about. Anyway, there was no problem. Instead of making up excuses, the guy should just install it. If the wire is too thin and it doesn't work, you will see it in the results.

Here is a link showing wire gauge, amp limits, resistance, etc. Bottom line is there should be no problems with 18-22 gauge wiring.

https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Dec 16, 2005
99 posts
5 upvotes
will888 wrote: The 'typical' cable is 18/5. The cable I have is 20/5. The installer commented that the wire is a bit on the thin side. My comment was unless the thermostat draws huge current, the losses will be small and since my furnace is literally just below the thermostat, I don't have a long run of cable to worry about. Anyway, there was no problem. Instead of making up excuses, the guy should just install it. If the wire is too thin and it doesn't work, you will see it in the results.

Here is a link showing wire gauge, amp limits, resistance, etc. Bottom line is there should be no problems with 18-22 gauge wiring.

https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
thanks wi888 for the information

My thermostat is not exact below the furnace, but still only about 3 meters away .if we install the ecobee, will we see the result immediately or it may fail after some times.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20459 upvotes
chenzj wrote: thanks wi888 for the information

My thermostat is not exact below the furnace, but still only about 3 meters away .if we install the ecobee, will we see the result immediately or it may fail after some times.
The only thing that can conceivably be affected by wire gauge is the circuit which powers the thermostat. If the losses were too high leading to excessively low voltage, the thermostat just won't function. The effect is immediate. The control circuits for AC, heat, fan are on/off. You could achieve this result using much thinner gauge of wire and not mistaken open and closed circuit conditions.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10213 posts
11275 upvotes
will888 wrote: The only thing that can conceivably be affected by wire gauge is the circuit which powers the thermostat. If the losses were too high leading to excessively low voltage, the thermostat just won't function. The effect is immediate. The control circuits for AC, heat, fan are on/off. You could achieve this result using much thinner gauge of wire and not mistaken open and closed circuit conditions.
The size of thermostat wiring has nothing to do anymore about current capacity, it's just an excuse used by a lazy installer that doesn't want to do their job.
Apr 26, 2018
53 posts
5 upvotes
Scarborough
Hi, there's a lot to read.

But I was wondering if this is completely free? (contractor as well)

Is there anything I need to pay or to be concerned about? Thanks!
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20459 upvotes
repatch wrote: The size of thermostat wiring has nothing to do anymore about current capacity, it's just an excuse used by a lazy installer that doesn't want to do their job.
You are preaching to the choir my friend. I know that. I was merely providing a link to illustrate this. The third installer that came to my place did make a commentary about my wiring not being 18/5. I told him we will find out very quickly whether it works or not. No point pontificating when we can just try it. Of course to no surprise, it works.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2013
1532 posts
939 upvotes
Scarborough
I am trying to change my wires. I have a 2 wire setup. I tried the old method pulling the old one but the new one is having 8 wires and it's too thick. I am a newbie on this one. Any advice is helpful. On Monday I have my appointment set and don't want to miss it.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20459 upvotes
iioonneell wrote: I am trying to change my wires. I have a 2 wire setup. I tried the old method pulling the old one but the new one is having 8 wires and it's too thick. I am a newbie on this one. Any advice is helpful. On Monday I have my appointment set and don't want to miss it.
There could be many things like sharp bends affecting the ability to do what you are doing. Try fishing a new wire. Why do you need an 8 conductor cable? The thermostats offered by this program require 5 wires.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2013
1532 posts
939 upvotes
Scarborough
will888 wrote: There could be many things like sharp bends affecting the ability to do what you are doing. Try fishing a new wire. Why do you need an 8 conductor cable? The thermostats offered by this program require 5 wires.
I just wanted to be the smart one using 8 wires or to be futureproof. I will try to work with a fishing tape. Hopefully I will made it until Moday. I have a duct which could be a good help. How much will that affect the thermostat. I will try to make the hole at the biggest distance from that one.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20459 upvotes
iioonneell wrote: I just wanted to be the smart one using 8 wires or to be futureproof. I will try to work with a fishing tape. Hopefully I will made it until Moday. I have a duct which could be a good help. How much will that affect the thermostat. I will try to make the hole at the biggest distance from that one.
Are you trying to run the wiring through a duct? I hope it's not a supply duct. Definitely don't get into a situation where there's going to be airflow in the wall cavity behind the thermostat.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2013
1532 posts
939 upvotes
Scarborough
will888 wrote: Are you trying to run the wiring through a duct? I hope it's not a supply duct. Definitely don't get into a situation where there's going to be airflow in the wall cavity behind the thermostat.
No, I intend to ruin the wire beat the heating duct. In don't intend by any means to puncture it. Around it looks like there is enough space to grab the wire.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20459 upvotes
iioonneell wrote: No, I intend to ruin the wire beat the heating duct. In don't intend by any means to puncture it. Around it looks like there is enough space to grab the wire.
That should not be a problem.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2014
6054 posts
4059 upvotes
Parry Sound
I want to keep my old thermostat to use it elsewhere. Do they require a swap or can I keep my old one?
This message has not been approved by The Office of The Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2016
1569 posts
1156 upvotes
MayorOfToronto wrote: I want to keep my old thermostat to use it elsewhere. Do they require a swap or can I keep my old one?
YMMV on that one, they are required to take your old one back however some don't care and will let you keep it.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
paintballdude05 wrote: YMMV on that one, they are required to take your old one back however some don't care and will let you keep it.
Or let you give them a different thermostat.

But note that installers take a photo of the existing thermostat so it's a good idea to replace the one you want to keep with the one you want to sacrifice before the installer arrives.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2014
6054 posts
4059 upvotes
Parry Sound
paintballdude05 wrote: YMMV on that one, they are required to take your old one back however some don't care and will let you keep it.
bylo wrote: Or let you give them a different thermostat.

But note that installers take a photo of the existing thermostat so it's a good idea to replace the one you want to keep with the one you want to sacrifice before the installer arrives.
Thanks.

Another question if anyone knows about HVAC systems

My current system uses proprietary wiring. It has A/B/C/D/S1/S2.. can it be converted to a Nest/Ecobee compatible system? How can I find this out? Will the tech be able to do this?
This message has not been approved by The Office of The Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
7556 posts
6834 upvotes
MayorOfToronto wrote: Thanks.

Another question if anyone knows about HVAC systems

My current system uses proprietary wiring. It has A/B/C/D/S1/S2.. can it be converted to a Nest/Ecobee compatible system? How can I find this out? Will the tech be able to do this?
You're running a high-efficiency set-up. You'll need to do some tweaking of wires on the furnace end to run a smart thermostat (standard R/G/Y/W) as your system communicates with each other to run at peak efficiency. Move from the ABCD terminals to the RWGY terminals: R wire to Red, White to W, Green to G, Yellow to Y. Not sure if you'll need to do this before the tech comes out. I probably wouldn't switch as you'll lose efficiency.

Also, S1/S2 are outdoor sensors, not compatible with NEST/ECOBEE since it gets "outdoor" temps from the internet.
Last edited by hvc on Apr 29th, 2018 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
MayorOfToronto wrote: My current system uses proprietary wiring. It has A/B/C/D/S1/S2.. can it be converted to a Nest/Ecobee compatible system? How can I find this out? Will the tech be able to do this?
Neither thermostat works with the proprietary wiring used by digital communicating HVAC systems (that use the A B C D terminals.) On some furnaces it may be possible to reconnect the wiring to use the conventional W R G Y wiring. However that results in a loss of function and loss of HVAC efficiency. In my experience the installer didn't want to even consider making the change.

This has been discussed extensively upthread.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2016
1039 posts
705 upvotes
Does anyone who has applied recently know the timeframe for the installation? We are moving in August and need to wait
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2016
1569 posts
1156 upvotes
I waited 6 months, others it was within a few weeks. It all depends on installer availability in your area. If you're in the GTA, chances are pretty good that they'd install before August.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)