Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
GreenOn

ON only - Free Smart Thermostat program is back

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2019 3:35 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2006
2077 posts
465 upvotes
North York
My appointment is tomorrow, will they call me today to reconfirm or they will just show up at the door?
Feb 27, 2018
10 posts
ONTARIO
brutal wrote: My appointment is tomorrow, will they call me today to reconfirm or they will just show up at the door?
I have an appointment scheduled for today evening but did not hear from them yesterday or today. Let's see if someone shows up this evening.
Aug 30, 2012
999 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto
I was worried when I had the Nest already installed that it didn't support remote sensors like the Ecobee. However it does for anyone else who did not know! Ecobee have a better system for remote sensors though from my research.

https://store.nest.com/ca/product/nest- ... or/T5000SF

https://m.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/nest ... r/12405503

https://www.cnet.com/news/nests-long-aw ... e-at-last/
Jul 29, 2007
329 posts
218 upvotes
Markham
Diamond04 wrote: I have an appointment scheduled for today evening but did not hear from them yesterday or today. Let's see if someone shows up this evening.
Did anyone show up? I have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow evening.
Jul 17, 2018
1 posts
We had our install today. He came in, was very professional and worked quickly. He answered all of my questions about the program, the thermostat (Got the Ecobee 3 Lite) and helped make sure it was connected to the WiFi.

Remember to have your WiFi information handy for the installer so he can lead you through it.

So far, so good. I was glad to have benefited from the program before it was shut down by the incoming government.
Images
  • 37290220_10155790140633435_6329983737840795648_n.jpg
Jul 29, 2007
329 posts
218 upvotes
Markham
I had booked an appointment for today between 5-8pm. The technician messaged me at like midnight last night saying he/she is coming at 1:30pm. I messaged back and tried to call back to see why my appointment is not 5-8pm, but no answer and no response at all.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2004
5144 posts
2189 upvotes
Mississauga
kenkosowan534438 wrote: We had our install today. He came in, was very professional and worked quickly. He answered all of my questions about the program, the thermostat (Got the Ecobee 3 Lite) and helped make sure it was connected to the WiFi.

Remember to have your WiFi information handy for the installer so he can lead you through it.

So far, so good. I was glad to have benefited from the program before it was shut down by the incoming government.
I'm being OCD, but that looks slightly slanted.
Oct 21, 2013
305 posts
161 upvotes
waterloo, on
Had ecobee installed today after 2 cancellations without any reason.

Took 15 mins. Chris was the guy. V professional and quick.
Serving Kitchener/Waterloo/Guelph/London/Hamilton/Niagara and surrounding areas
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29540 posts
20458 upvotes
wing0 wrote: I'm being OCD, but that looks slightly slanted.
Are you standing straight?
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Nov 23, 2014
123 posts
49 upvotes
Orangeville
irieempress wrote: Thanks guys... He said he could install but it would cause problems blah blah blah. Just called to reschedule for Saturday... it will just have to get done :|
Finallly installed… Thanks OP and the rest of the gang for all the feedback on this thread. My third installation attempt was yesterday and I'm sooooo happy I stuck it out. Loving my Ecobee. My installer was not lazy and knew what he was doing. Said others would decline the install because it took a little retrofitting and extra work.

Smiling Face With Open MouthSmiling Face With Open Mouth
RFD motto -:- buy now, think later
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2004
1041 posts
228 upvotes
Hamilton
Anyone who had their appointments cancelled with or without notice,- do you call back to request new date or just wait for them to call with next appointment proposal?
Thanks.
“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.” ― Terry Pratchett, Hogfather
Nov 20, 2013
49 posts
16 upvotes
Installed the ecobee3lite. Guy called in the day before to confirm appointment, Arrived on time Installed everything. Asked a few questions about energy efficient things I already have and a few question about the home. Showed me how to use it and left. Good experience from my side.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2829 posts
1032 upvotes
Vaughan
Anyone know who I would contact for support with the Nest E? It's either not working right or it's a piece of garbage. It never reaches the desired temperature. If the indoor temp is 24C and I have it set to 22C, it will start the air conditioner for a bit and at some point it will shut off, while still at 23.5C. The indoor humidity is always way too high. At night it increases the temperature for some strange reason I've played with the settings and yet nothing seems to get this thing to work properly. I have yet to have 1 comfortable night in the house since installing this thing. My old programmable "dumb" thermostat worked much better. Glad I made the installer "forget" to take it with him as it may need to go back up soon.
Public Mobile $34/50GB-CAN-US/30 days
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
Had an infinity controller which apparently cannot be changed. Left with nothing.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10208 posts
11271 upvotes
Kasakato wrote: Had an infinity controller which apparently cannot be changed. Left with nothing.
Yup, unfortunately some never furnaces use a proprietary interface (usually a 2 wire digital interface) that is incompatible will "universal" thermostats.

That said, those thermostats tend to be pretty "smart", so the benefits to moving to a Nest or Ecobee are pretty much nill.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
repatch wrote: That said, those thermostats tend to be pretty "smart", so the benefits to moving to a Nest or Ecobee are pretty much nill.
It depends on what "benefits" you're looking for. I need a "smart" thermostat so that I can monitor room temperature remotely while I'm travelling. If it falls below a safe level I want to be able to get a neighbour to call in a furnace repair company to fix the issue before the pipes freeze.

That said, Carrier sells a Cor "smart" thermostat model that does essentially what a Nest or Ecobee does and does it over their proprietary Infinity protocol. Only hitch is the cost is also Infinity--several times what a Nest/Ecobee costs plus installation. KY Jelly not included.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2004
1167 posts
736 upvotes
Calabogie, ON
I had an Ecobee installed months ago with no problem. Several weeks ago when it got hot I turned on the AC which started ok for a few hours then kicked out. It took me a few weeks to get a contractor out and he told me it was installed incorrectly and had fried some wires in the AC unit. He replaced the thermostat with an old one I had and everything works fine (he also repaired the fried wires in the AC) He said my wiring was short one wire and they had bridged things to work while heating but when I switched to cooling, things shorted out.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6706 posts
2352 upvotes
I got a call just now to remind me I'm still eligible for this program. There's gotta be a catch for this. My current "dumb" t-stat works so I don't even know if I need this.
Feb 27, 2018
10 posts
ONTARIO
Hello. Sorry for late reply.

Yes, he did show up. However, they only had the nest thermostat. Installation took less than 30mins.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8253 posts
5753 upvotes
Uhhh, did anyone just get an e-mail from the Green Ontario installing company regarding the warranty but with someone else's name/address on it?