Travel

Greyhound shuts down

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2021 9:19 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2010
5369 posts
1928 upvotes
Abbottabad

Greyhound shuts down

Greyhound Canada announces shutdown as of TuesdayMay 12. Another Covid casualty.
46 replies
Banned
Apr 25, 2020
722 posts
564 upvotes
M1C
iamskyhigh wrote: Greyhound Canada announces shutdown as of TuesdayMay 12. Another Covid casualty.
Wrong date

"The temporary service suspension will take effect May 13. We will be monitoring federal and provincial restrictions along with infection statistics to identify when to restore operations."

Source: https://news.greyhound.ca/
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
22351 posts
7596 upvotes
Hardly matters to us in Thunder Bay as they cut off our service and land locked us for bus travel several years ago. This area was one of the first they branched off to back when they first started and one of the first they killed when they downsized...
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 13, 2010
7396 posts
1568 upvotes
Scarborough
Wonder if they will even restore some routes when restrictions lift. Aren’t they giving layoffs to their employees?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20856 posts
19119 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Pete_Coach wrote: I suspect Greyhound is dead.
As I recall, Western Canada Greyhound operations have ceased so, this will mst likely kill the rest of the operation.
Sad, but true

No trains, no buses ... if you don’t own a vehicle now in the 21st Century not a lot of places small town folk can go anymore

Don’t think this is progress
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 13, 2010
7396 posts
1568 upvotes
Scarborough
Expect even more layoffs in local and regional transit if this shutdown continues
The feds need to better increase cerb as well as extend it. As this goes on more n more companies will start layoffs if business is dead
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
36799 posts
4968 upvotes
Winnipeg
DougO wrote: Hardly matters to us in Thunder Bay as they cut off our service and land locked us for bus travel several years ago. This area was one of the first they branched off to back when they first started and one of the first they killed when they downsized...
Yeah not affected here.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
36799 posts
4968 upvotes
Winnipeg
PointsHubby wrote: Sad, but true

No trains, no buses ... if you don’t own a vehicle now in the 21st Century not a lot of places small town folk can go anymore

Don’t think this is progress
Market condition don't support for lots of public transit in small towns, on the bright side, the money you save from cheaper RE will pay for a car.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
22351 posts
7596 upvotes
divx wrote: Market condition don't support for lots of public transit in small towns, on the bright side, the money you save from cheaper RE will pay for a car.
I wish. Current gas price in town is 99.9 cents a Litre. Never seems to go down much. I'd get an electric but they are expensive to purchase new. Used cars don't last or may be problematic. No easy answers for a limited budget...
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
36799 posts
4968 upvotes
Winnipeg
DougO wrote: I wish. Current gas price in town is 99.9 cents a Litre. Never seems to go down much. I'd get an electric but they are expensive to purchase new. Used cars don't last or may be problematic. No easy answers for a limited budget...
On the bright side, you aren't paying $3000 a month rent or mortgage for living in Toronto.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
22351 posts
7596 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Horses?
I rarely saw them on the road, even in rural jurisdictions. Riding clubs, therapeutic riding, etc. is usually on private land. Too much of a risk having the horses on the side of the road unless it was a rarely used road. There are a lot of places with horses in rural areas outside of the city of Thunder Bay...
Banned
User avatar
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3864 upvotes
apnayloags wrote: Expect even more layoffs in local and regional transit if this shutdown continues
The feds need to better increase cerb as well as extend it. As this goes on more n more companies will start layoffs if business is dead
No, stop the handouts! Next time save for a rainy day
DougO wrote: I wish. Current gas price in town is 99.9 cents a Litre. Never seems to go down much. I'd get an electric but they are expensive to purchase new. Used cars don't last or may be problematic. No easy answers for a limited budget...
BC says hi at 110+. Today it just went up another 7c to most stations so tomorrow I'm expecting the rest to follow suit
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
22351 posts
7596 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote: No, stop the handouts! Next time save for a rainy day



BC says hi at 110+. Today it just went up another 7c to most stations so tomorrow I'm expecting the rest to follow suit
Can. Tire here was 99.9 when I bought gas for the lawn mower a couple hours ago. But other places had bumped up to 109.9 this afternoon. Wonder what is fueling this price increase (no pun intended)?
Banned
User avatar
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3864 upvotes
DougO wrote: Can. Tire here was 99.9 when I bought gas for the lawn mower a couple hours ago. But other places had bumped up to 109.9 this afternoon. Wonder what is fueling this price increase (no pun intended)?
Gouging + govt taxes, imposing ethanol and "cleaner" gas at pump + oil company blaming it on govt.
Banned
Apr 25, 2020
722 posts
564 upvotes
M1C
Messerschmitt wrote: Gouging + govt taxes, imposing ethanol and "cleaner" gas at pump + oil company blaming it on govt.
After 2022

"The clean fuel standard to require fuels like gasoline and diesel to burn more cleanly is being pushed back at least several months because of COVID-19. Last month, the government moved the implementation date for new standards on liquid fuels like gasoline from Jan. 1, 2022, to just sometime in 2022. The proposed regulations that were to be published this spring are not coming now until the fall."
from https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/clim ... -1.5574981
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
36799 posts
4968 upvotes
Winnipeg
DougO wrote: I rarely saw them on the road, even in rural jurisdictions. Riding clubs, therapeutic riding, etc. is usually on private land. Too much of a risk having the horses on the side of the road unless it was a rarely used road. There are a lot of places with horses in rural areas outside of the city of Thunder Bay...
They only have 1 hp though.
WTB amazon gc @90%

Top