[GrillGrates] REAL HOT DEAL - GrillGrates Warehouse sale

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2020 10:35 am
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2004
2059 posts
1187 upvotes
Mississauga
Doh the Kettle one got Sold Out as I was contemplating the purchase.

Would it make sense to just buy 3-4 normal rectangle grates instead of one cut to size for my Kamado? The XL Egg one is available but I think that'll be too big for my grill.
Feb 20, 2011
581 posts
148 upvotes
downtown TO
Flair up won’t happen with any komado grill but patience is the key. Light the fire and let it burn down to hot but ashy embers.
Oct 31, 2010
493 posts
290 upvotes
Edmonton
Jeeze, I've shipped desktop computers to Florida for cheaper than they charge for this.

That said, I've been looking at these for a long time and the set for my grill is $70 USD off. Thanks op!
Last edited by darkstar107 on Feb 20th, 2020 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2004
2059 posts
1187 upvotes
Mississauga
Two 13.75" grates + a grill grate tool + Cross Border Pickup fees + Duty pretty much makes it a wash with Dickson BBQ. I'll wait and try to get one cut to fit my Kamado.

Thanks for the heads up OP, I'll sign up on their mailing list.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1435 posts
725 upvotes
Durham
Oh man, never knew about this. Will have to measure my grill for sizing. But mine is huge and can see this easily add up to over $100. But the way we bbq in the warm weather this is worth it as I was looking to replace my grills anyways.

Dumb question, when using these, can I remove the guard that goes over the actual flame? Thats where most of the flair up happens when there is build up or a lot of juices landing on it.
May 25, 2005
646 posts
169 upvotes
Thanks, ordered for my Weber 315. Shipping came to $20 to Niagara Falls NY which was a bit much but the discount was overall worth it.
Oct 31, 2010
493 posts
290 upvotes
Edmonton
Kkhan15 wrote: Oh man, never knew about this. Will have to measure my grill for sizing. But mine is huge and can see this easily add up to over $100. But the way we bbq in the warm weather this is worth it as I was looking to replace my grills anyways.

Dumb question, when using these, can I remove the guard that goes over the actual flame? Thats where most of the flair up happens when there is build up or a lot of juices landing on it.
There won't be much flareup with these anyways. Probably better to leave the covers on so that nothing drips into the burners.

I know a few people with these already and they speak very highly of these grates. My friend says he probably uses about 50% less propane with these. He might be exaggerating a bit though (or maybe not).
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1435 posts
725 upvotes
Durham
Damn. Need 6 19.25 pieces. Works out to $175cdn shipped vs $215cdn at Dicksons
Nov 5, 2019
4 posts
2 upvotes
calgary
Anyone in Calgary looking to pick these up? I checked and there is a small savings to be had in shipping. Happy to split it if it makes sense.

As a comparison I wa slooking to ge ta set for my genesis which cost $42USD in shipping. To test I changes it to get 4 of those to see the shipping cost and it was $98.00 and 2 of them was $60.00.

With exchange and all that's still a $15-20 cdn savings.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2005
1660 posts
88 upvotes
Any chance someone has found the right size/fit for the Broil King Baron 440? That's the bbq I've got but it's basically covered and under snow at the moment so don't think I'll be able to easily get measurements.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2007
1059 posts
520 upvotes
Toronto
mork wrote: Any chance someone has found the right size/fit for the Broil King Baron 440? That's the bbq I've got but it's basically covered and under snow at the moment so don't think I'll be able to easily get measurements.
Grill size is listed here:
https://broilkingbbq.com/en_ca/grills/baron/baron_440/

Should be the same size, no?
Oct 31, 2010
493 posts
290 upvotes
Edmonton
mork wrote: Any chance someone has found the right size/fit for the Broil King Baron 440? That's the bbq I've got but it's basically covered and under snow at the moment so don't think I'll be able to easily get measurements.
Just look for replacement grill grate for your bbq and it'll show dimensions. Looks like Baron 440 is 17.375" x 26 1/4".

https://www.appliancefactoryparts.com/s ... 65/213546/

You'll need 5x https://www.grillgrate.com/copy-of-gril ... ace-panel/
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
2246 posts
1386 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: GrillGrates are made from hard anodized aluminum- is that safe to cook on?

Hard anodized aluminum is perfectly safe to cook on.

This section was gleaned from studies by University of Clemson: Exposures to aluminum through food can occur when aluminum leaches or otherwise dissolves from the cookware into the food. Leaching is most likely when the foods being cooked or stored are highly basic (like baking soda) or highly acidic (like tomato sauce, lemon juice, oranges, or vinegar). For example, tomato sauce has been shown to contain 3-6 mg aluminum (per 100 g serving) after cooking in aluminum pans, which translates into about one-tenth of the typical daily intake. This leaching of aluminum with acidic foods does not happen with aluminum cookware that is anodized, or electro-chemically processed to seal the aluminum in the cookware. Clemson University Extension’s Home and Garden Information Center tested different cookware types, and found anodized aluminum cookware to be safe.

Anodized materials have an extremely long life span. Anodized surfaces do not chip or peel. Anodized aluminum is used to protect satellites from the harsh environment of space, to harden automotive racing parts against friction and heat, as well as for display cases, coolers, and grills for the food industry.
Anodizing aluminum can be done many different ways and is quite tricky with many risks. I don't know if I would trust this product, especially when they are throwing out meaningless examples about "protecting satellites". From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing
Anodizing changes the microscopic texture of the surface and the crystal structure of the metal near the surface. Thick coatings are normally porous, so a sealing process is often needed to achieve corrosion resistance. Anodized aluminium surfaces, for example, are harder than aluminium but have low to moderate wear resistance that can be improved with increasing thickness or by applying suitable sealing substances. Anodic films are generally much stronger and more adherent than most types of paint and metal plating, but also more brittle. This makes them less likely to crack and peel from ageing and wear, but more susceptible to cracking from thermal stress.
Considering how soft aluminum is to begin with, a lot of the listed caveats make it seem pretty risky to use this product in an environment like a BBQ, where there is a lot of heat, stress, wear-and-tear (scratches).
They even say that this warehouse sale is for "Factory Seconds" that may come with scratches. Not sure if it's a good idea to have this stuff near food, especially given all the dangers of consuming and breathing in aluminum particles.

There's just not enough information about this product. I'll stick with cast iron for now.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6154 posts
3033 upvotes
Aurora
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: Anodizing aluminum can be done many different ways and is quite tricky with many risks. I don't know if I would trust this product, especially when they are throwing out meaningless examples about "protecting satellites". From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing
Considering how soft aluminum is to begin with, a lot of the listed caveats make it seem pretty risky to use this product in an environment like a BBQ, where there is a lot of heat, stress, wear-and-tear (scratches).
They even say that this warehouse sale is for "Factory Seconds" that may come with scratches. Not sure if it's a good idea to have this stuff near food, especially given all the dangers of consuming and breathing in aluminum particles.

There's just not enough information about this product. I'll stick with cast iron for now.
I have GrillGrates and like them a lot. They're definitely a premium product with premium pricing but they work very well. Before these, I have always used cast iron. But without fail, no matter how hard I tried to maintain them, cast iron grates always deteriorate into a rusty, flaky mess after a few short years. I have no idea if GrillGrates are 100% OK to use. I do know that there's a good many who use them, including pros on the BBQ circuit. I'm willing to accept any uncertainties with the product unless definitively proven unsafe.