Expired Hot Deals

[GrillGrates] REAL HOT DEAL - GrillGrates Warehouse sale

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2020 10:35 am
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2187 posts
518 upvotes
I've worked in the past where we extensively used aluminum and got it sent out for anodization. Anodization is extremely tough, but extremely thin (upto 4 thousandths of an inch). The problem is that the base metal (aluminum) is soft. When we didn't handle the anodized aluminum properly, the base aluminum under the anodized layer would deform and then the anodized layer would crack and flake off. Instances of mishandling where I worked would be dropping onto a hard surface, poking the surface with a screwdriver, rubbing of anodized aluminum parts together.

I would say that with this type of process where you would be moving the grates on cast iron or steel, scraping with the special spatula and removing the GrillGrates from the grill would likely damage the aluminum underlayer and allow the anodized layer to flake off.

Why did they use Aluminum? That GrillGrates profile can only be extruded and using malleable metals such as aluminum is a good choice due to its cost effectiveness and heat conductivity. They could have used stainless steel, but it would be extremely expensive and difficult to extrude.
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: Anodizing aluminum can be done many different ways and is quite tricky with many risks. I don't know if I would trust this product, especially when they are throwing out meaningless examples about "protecting satellites". From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing
Considering how soft aluminum is to begin with, a lot of the listed caveats make it seem pretty risky to use this product in an environment like a BBQ, where there is a lot of heat, stress, wear-and-tear (scratches).
They even say that this warehouse sale is for "Factory Seconds" that may come with scratches. Not sure if it's a good idea to have this stuff near food, especially given all the dangers of consuming and breathing in aluminum particles.

There's just not enough information about this product. I'll stick with cast iron for now.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2015
1251 posts
523 upvotes
North York, ON
These grates are for cheaply transforming reg grills into infra red. Been cooking with infra red for about 4 yrs and will never go back to reg grills. Meat 30% juicier, have never had any flareups, amazing grill marks Funny cuz the infra red smokes like a son of a gun and guests are always worried steaks are going up in flames- I always watch their face after the first cut of meat LOL The only Con is they are a PITA to clean- I have a grill spatula with grooves I cut into it for initial cleaning.
As far as the Anodized aluminum grill we never cook with aluminum as per potential health risks. My grill is stainless.
Having a new house built this year and will be buying a Tec.
May 24, 2017
58 posts
44 upvotes
Edmonton, ab
I've known about how awesome these are for a long long time. Lots of reviews rave on how awesome these are. But got damn i'm having a hard time justifying these with that shipping cost :(
Sep 24, 2007
60 posts
3 upvotes
not all sizes on sale, the set that fits my Signet 20 is still $110 US
Jan 19, 2008
455 posts
254 upvotes
$45 for the grate $46.97 for shipping. no thanx.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
3305 posts
1753 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for posting the deal OP

The shipping kills it for me and I have been rocking stainless steel grates for a while without issue.
Oct 7, 2009
3 posts
1 upvote
I've had these for the past 3 years. Has kept me from buying a new BBQ with my premature rusting grills... Not only it prevents flare-ups, but it increases the heat of the BBQ, and gives incredible sear marks. If you cook your steaks "sous vide" , this is a must have. Even if you don't! No hesitation possible. There are many YouTube videos, look them up! I bought mine maybe 35$ each, and I have 4. TOTALLY WORTH IT!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6516 posts
362 upvotes
GT'eh
what are people using to clean these grates? any special soloution or just soap and baking soda?
Ne0's Bio:
➡Retired G@mer & t3<h [0nn0!ss3ur ??? Spitting t3<hy lingo since the early 90's ➡Member of Crazy Group Buys ??? ➡ Feedback: eBay|1000+ ??? rFD | 300+
May 5, 2016
131 posts
53 upvotes
interesting. never even heard of this product before. i've been pretty happy with my stock stainless steel grills that came with my vision m-series kamado. stainless doesn't char as nicely as cast iron grill grates, but quite happy with the ease of maintenance.