• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2021 11:23 am
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11547 posts
5376 upvotes
Moving target
kool1 wrote: Everyone has their preference

I like drums for E-Z blue cheese dipping!
I never understood why wing joints don’t have rectangular little boxes for flat dripping. Otherwise agreed drums easier to dunk. Perhaps better for my belt line to stick with flats lol.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: No matter the technique or method of cooking I recommend pouring boiling water or blanching your wings first. This technique is employed for Peking Duck and roasted squab/pigeon in Asian restos. Not sure the "why" but it works.
It par-cooks & tightens the skin.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4625 posts
1342 upvotes
GangStarr wrote: I never understood why wing joints don’t have rectangular little boxes for flat dripping. Otherwise agreed drums easier to dunk. Perhaps better for my belt line to stick with flats lol.
whoa! a flats dipping container!

patent that!
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1750 upvotes
Clarington, ON
GangStarr wrote: If the OP is getting crispy flats I say go to a butcher and ask for all flats. They’ll do it if a real butcher.

Drum sticks are usually stringy I just avoid them. If I do buy drumsticks I’ll buy good quality and bigger isn’t better in my opinion.

I’ll probably get flamed for this. Go flats
We can agree to disagree! Drums FTW. (But I won't refuse flats either!)
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
Flats because you can twist the ends & pull the bones out before you dip away!!

Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15768 posts
11163 upvotes
GangStarr wrote: I never understood why wing joints don’t have rectangular little boxes for flat dripping. Otherwise agreed drums easier to dunk. Perhaps better for my belt line to stick with flats lol.
I do prefer flats, but I don't dip either. I pour it on before bite.

And blue cheese over ranch all the way.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2008
1860 posts
511 upvotes
Hmmm, nobody suggested an air fryer. I still grill wings but now tend to use my air fryer. They get crispy, i don't lose meat due to sticking and built in portion control.... LOL.

If I have people coming over I will grill them.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2007
1057 posts
508 upvotes
Ontario
gr8dlr wrote: No matter the technique or method of cooking I recommend pouring boiling water or blanching your wings first.
We've started grilling our own wings only recently and the results are fine (not great, but satisfactory). I will definitely need to give this technique a try. And go tam flats!
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21699 posts
17373 upvotes
Markham
singhrh wrote: Hmmm, nobody suggested an air fryer. I still grill wings but now tend to use my air fryer. They get crispy, i don't lose meat due to sticking and built in portion control.... LOL.

If I have people coming over I will grill them.
Ppl aren't suggesting air fryer because the post is about "grilling" and getting em crispy.

If we eliminted the first requirement of "grilling", everyone would probably say if you want crispy => deep fry.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
My method. Over the top. Lots of steps.

1. Cover in kosher salt or some sort of chunky salt and leave in the fridge over night. The salt will draw out moisture.
Pat dry.
Put it back in the fridge uncovered overnight again.
Some more moisture may draw out. Pat it draw.

2. Use a dry rub. Add some baking powder to the dry rub. Not too much salt in the dry rub because of the salt coating in step 1.

3. Cook @ a higher heat @ least 375. You need the heat to render out the fat.

3. Also get a cheap can of butter flavoured spray oil. Spray that every 15 minutes or so throughout the cook.
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15768 posts
11163 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: My method. Over the top. Lots of steps.

1. Cover in kosher salt or some sort of chunky salt and leave in the fridge over night. The salt will draw out moisture.
Pat dry.
Put it back in the fridge uncovered overnight again.
Some more moisture may draw out. Pat it draw.

2. Use a dry rub. Add some baking powder to the dry rub. Not too much salt in the dry rub because of the salt coating in step 1.

3. Cook @ a higher heat @ least 375. You need the heat to render out the fat.

3. Also get a cheap can of butter flavoured spray oil. Spray that every 15 minutes or so throughout the cook.
Will this work on bigger pcs? I have a couple packs of drummies in the freezer I might do Sunday.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
Gutty96 wrote: Will this work on bigger pcs? I have a couple packs of drummies in the freezer I might do Sunday.
Yah. It’ll work.

Those steps allow the following

1. Draw out moisture on the outter surface to make it dry

2. Baking powder also helps draw out moisture

3. Spray oil allows you to hit it with high heat without burning. Oil is also a great retainer of heat.
Also it has to be that cheap spray oil. It coats thin and even.
It also has to be cheap because the flavour gain isnt worth the premium of name brand Pam cooking oil.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)