Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Dawn

Grim Dawn (Developed by ex Titan Quest Devs) - pre-order 18$ (and up)

• Last Updated:
  • May 8th, 2012 6:18 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 23, 2008
618 posts
342 upvotes
Airdrie

[Dawn] Grim Dawn (Developed by ex Titan Quest Devs) - pre-order 18$ (and up)

More offers from Dawn
Grim Dawn is an upcoming open world action rpg by Crate Entertainment, made up of ex Iron Lore staff, developer of Titan Quest.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cra ... /grim-dawn

Non-kick starts preorder option: http://www.grimdawn.com/contribute_buynow01.php

They've been working on Grim Dawn with no funding other than people pre-ordering copies of the game for 2.5 years. I've been following it for a while and It's something I really want to play. They have tech demos and all kinds of stuff already running, as well as a lot of background. Buy it!

Yes, this is a deal, "Digital download of finished game for PC, DRM free at a low price for your early support." (EDIT: 18$ is the low price, you don't have to buy it again.)

EDIT: It's been funded!
39 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10476 posts
656 upvotes
New-Brunswick
I bought in... their sentence you quoted is misleading but someone did confirm that yes, it's the game for 18$, not the opportunity to buy it at a discount (this was discussed on another board).

Not bad, went from 2000$ around lunch to just over 100k now.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
1736 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto
wow.

This is really incredible game, thanks a ton.

and it supports LAN/co-op online.

Looks great.

If d3 is a bust, which it probably will be, I'm hoppin on this.
Nintendo Switch vibes
Aug 18, 2006
155 posts
75 upvotes
Kitchener
archdemon wrote:
If d3 is a bust, which it probably will be, I'm hoppin on this.

I played D2 for most of my high school life; still obsessed with it to this day...
I have the D3 beta, and my heart sank a little reading this because, unfortunately.... D3 is not that great of game =\
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2009
2470 posts
3647 upvotes
Quebec
Tempted to get the collector only because of this
Massively stylish George Washington style powdered wig in-game accessory.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21265 posts
6247 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Out of curiousity. Why is it hot? Is it on sale before they finish developed it? If so, what is the original price?
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Apr 12, 2010
714 posts
130 upvotes
Am I the only one not disturbed by the whole kickstarter phenomenon?

I know games cost a ton of money (and time) to develop, especially for smaller / indie studio's so raising funds is always an issue. And I know there's less risk involved (not to mention less money) than buying say a condo on presale.

But still...

Paying for a game that hasn't even come out yet seems like a bad road to go down, even if you do get some perks. It reminds me of the life-time subscriptions a lot of the newer MMO's tried to offer before the game was even out, only to see the game fail and close or go F2P.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1811 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
sandikosh wrote: Out of curiousity. Why is it hot? Is it on sale before they finish developed it? If so, what is the original price?

Yes what the hell is this doing in hot deal section? It should be in the gaming discussion section really. Some mods should move it there.

Also how is this hot, we dont even know the price it is going to sell at or what the finished product is exactly ... its not even at alpha stage ie the game doesnt even exist at the moment ie its not yet a product up for sale. They are actually trying to get funding for the project just to say how far away it is from completion.

I dont mind people propping it up and supporting through donations but do it in the right section which is gaming discussion.
Mar 23, 2008
618 posts
342 upvotes
Airdrie
Exand wrote: Am I the only one not disturbed by the whole kickstarter phenomenon?

I know games cost a ton of money (and time) to develop, especially for smaller / indie studio's so raising funds is always an issue. And I know there's less risk involved (not to mention less money) than buying say a condo on presale.

But still...

Paying for a game that hasn't even come out yet seems like a bad road to go down, even if you do get some perks. It reminds me of the life-time subscriptions a lot of the newer MMO's tried to offer before the game was even out, only to see the game fail and close or go F2P.

Personally, I feel this is a kickstarter project done right. They have a solid history, and a solid tech demo for a game they were planning to release anyways, but with no funding whatsoever it was taking forever, so they went to kickstarter to make it happen.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2011
2619 posts
1110 upvotes
Winnipeg
Lol @ "not a sale so why is it hot?" posts.
Mar 23, 2008
618 posts
342 upvotes
Airdrie
qewcool wrote: Yes what the hell is this doing in hot deal section? It should be in the gaming discussion section really. Some mods should move it there.

Also how is this hot, we dont even know the price it is going to sell at or what the finished product is exactly ... its not even at alpha stage ie the game doesnt even exist at the moment ie its not yet a product up for sale. They are actually trying to get funding for the project just to say how far away it is from completion.

I dont mind people propping it up and supporting through donations but do it in the right section which is gaming discussion.

There's a whole thread here about Diablo 3 preorders. I submit that this is no different: A game by proven developer of good games, being preordered.
May 5, 2009
378 posts
132 upvotes
Montreal
I also don't really like the kickstarter idea because it became too big. I support kickstarter (or indiegogo) projects every now and then ONLY when they are REALLY REALLY great/innovative. It's not to get a rebate or anything, more to feel "important" supporting a little guy who is aiming big.

With this said, I never kickstart games. I'd rather see the finished content. This game (Grim Dawn) looks really good even though, just like Titan Quest did in the past, it copies Diablo's essence. Regardless, I enjoyed Titan Quest so much so if this game comes long after Diablo 3 (and before Diablo 4!), I will surely pay the full price and play it :)
Mar 23, 2008
618 posts
342 upvotes
Airdrie
exeon wrote: I also don't really like the kickstarter idea because it became too big. I support kickstarter (or indiegogo) projects every now and then ONLY when they are REALLY REALLY great/innovative. It's not to get a rebate or anything, more to feel "important" supporting a little guy who is aiming big.

With this said, I never kickstart games. I'd rather see the finished content. This game (Grim Dawn) looks really good even though, just like Titan Quest did in the past, it copies Diablo's essence. Regardless, I enjoyed Titan Quest so much so if this game comes long after Diablo 3 (and before Diablo 4!), I will surely pay the full price and play it :)

Looks like they-re aiming for Aug 2013, according to the estimated delivery of things on the kickstarter.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2006
4263 posts
469 upvotes
sandikosh wrote: Out of curiousity. Why is it hot? Is it on sale before they finish developed it? If so, what is the original price?

it is hot because, by getting in early to support development, you are rewarded with the ability to buy the game at a discount. We don't know what the discount is but if this game is anything like Titan Quest it will sell for well above $18.

and since we don't know how hot it is, this deal oozes with mystique of sneaky hotness
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1811 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
mrsamsa wrote: There's a whole thread here about Diablo 3 preorders. I submit that this is no different: A game by proven developer of good games, being preordered.
I dont mind preorders with a beta long running and a release date within 1-2 months.
"Preorders" with no beta or close-to-finish product, no release date, not even a guarantee that it is going to be finished if they dont get enough funding down the road .... is no preorder.

This is really a Request-for-funding. Like a donation to help them and also you get these access/perks.

If they go ahead spend the money and midway run into technical/funding problems and have to cancel the whole thing ... are these people going to get their money back ? with a proper preorder from FS or BB, you better get either the product by the release date or your money back, or its class action suits festival.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2006
4263 posts
469 upvotes
qewcool wrote: I dont mind preorders with a beta long running and a release date within 1-2 months.
"Preorders" with no beta or close-to-finish product, no release date, not even a guarantee that it is going to be finished if they dont get enough funding down the road .... is no preorder.

This is really a Request-for-funding. Like a donation to help them and also you get these access/perks.

If they go ahead spend the money and midway run into technical/funding problems and have to cancel the whole thing ... are these people going to get their money back ? with a proper preorder from FS or BB, you better get either the product by the release date or your money back, or its class action suits festival.

true. it's a gamble. Kickstarting games, in general, is a bad idea.

But these guys are a couple ex-Iron Lore staff. They have proven themselves once before so, I for one, will give them the benefit of the doubt. And if you watch some of the vidz you'll see that they are already well on their way.

edit: BTW some of the hot deals around here aren't very hot if the product loses support after its release (PBO). All I'm saying is that just because it's a gamble doesn't make it "not hot"
Mar 23, 2008
618 posts
342 upvotes
Airdrie
qewcool wrote: I dont mind preorders with a beta long running and a release date within 1-2 months.

That's fair, especially for a lot of other kickstarters. I think less so for this one. In any case a lot of us are excited about Grim Dawn and want to expedite its development, if you aren't you don't have to contribute.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
3432 posts
1397 upvotes
Lévis
nayab9 wrote: I have the D3 beta, and my heart sank a little reading this because, unfortunately.... D3 is not that great of game =\
Not a sprprise. Many of diablo team members went elsewhere, notably to create torchlight.
Pourquoi pas?
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
3432 posts
1397 upvotes
Lévis
mrsamsa wrote: Grim Dawn is an upcoming open world action rpg by Crate Entertainment, made up of ex Iron Lore staff, developer of Titan Quest.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cra ... /grim-dawn

Non-kick starts preorder option: http://www.grimdawn.com/contribute_buynow01.php

They've been working on Grim Dawn with no funding other than people pre-ordering copies of the game for 2.5 years. I've been following it for a while and It's something I really want to play. They have tech demos and all kinds of stuff already running, as well as a lot of background. Buy it!

Yes, this is a deal, "Digital download of finished game for PC, DRM free at a low price for your early support." (EDIT: 18$ is the low price, you don't have to buy it again.)

Nothing playable?

IMO, they should take the mount&blade route: let peoples pay a small amount for buying the game. Make a playable game from time to time. Slowly increase the amount it takes to buy the game as it improve.
Pourquoi pas?
Mar 23, 2008
618 posts
342 upvotes
Airdrie
SPARTACVS wrote: Nothing playable?

IMO, they should take the mount&blade route: let peoples pay a small amount for buying the game. Make a playable game from time to time. Slowly increase the amount it takes to buy the game as it improve.
As you go up in payment tiers you get earlier access, beta, then alpha. Not the same I admit.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)