Grocery Inflation is still real in 2024

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 10:19 am
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
12640 posts
6013 upvotes

Grocery Inflation is still real in 2024

I have never seen prices go up like they are right now. I walked into No Frills a couple of weeks ago and they literally added 10-20% to all their shelved product.

How are people coping? Any hacks out there?

I have been stocking up more on sales and stocking up on things that haven't gone up yet (in anticipation that they will soon).
Last edited by kool1 on Mar 27th, 2024 11:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
1647 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10132 posts
10243 upvotes
Haven't really noticed it yet other than for products from Asia at TnT

Prices are pretty much same for items I buy at FreshCo/food basics and Costco for my items on sale.

Hagen Daz was $3.99 few weeks ago
Avocadoes $1.68 for 5 few weeks ago when I got some ($1.88 for 4 last week)
Hunts pasta sauce still 0.99
Campbell's soup I stocked up a while ago @ 0.88 for 2 cans

Meat is as cheap as ever...0.99/lb for drumsticks, $4.99/lb for sirloin roast, lean ground beef $3.99/lb etc

Post raisin bran is 4.99 at Costco for like 1.2kg or something etc
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
12640 posts
6013 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: Haven't really noticed it yet other than for products from Asia at TnT

Prices are pretty much same for items I buy at FreshCo/food basics and Costco for my items on sale.

Hagen Daz was $3.99 few weeks ago
Avocadoes $1.68 for 5 few weeks ago when I got some ($1.88 for 4 last week)
Hunts pasta sauce still 0.99
Campbell's soup I stocked up a while ago @ 0.88 for 2 cans

Meat is as cheap as ever...0.99/lb for drumsticks, $4.99/lb for sirloin roast, lean ground beef $3.99/lb etc

Post raisin bran is 4.99 at Costco for like 1.2kg or something etc
A few weeks ago was just that. A lot of the price hikes have literally just happened.

Sale prices are always YMMV.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10132 posts
10243 upvotes
kool1 wrote: A few weeks ago was just that. A lot of the price hikes have literally just happened.

Sale prices are always YMMV.
i don't really buy at regular prices, so don't know and don't really care ..much like regular price at shoppers or CDN tire lol
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2008
2025 posts
1032 upvotes
GTA
I am really focused on not wasting any food. Honestly people waste so much food. I find it has been helping my grocery bills.
Sep 20, 2015
48 posts
146 upvotes
Toronto, ON
StatsGuy wrote: i don't really buy at regular prices, so don't know and don't really care ..much like regular price at shoppers or CDN tire lol
You must spend a lot of time searching out deals and diving around to not buy anything regular price. Sale prices are up and going up so you are not impervious to price increases happening.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
this is happening everywhere in the world, we don't know how long it will last, could also be permanent.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10132 posts
10243 upvotes
Kevin2112 wrote: You must spend a lot of time searching out deals and diving around to not buy anything regular price. Sale prices are up and going up so you are not impervious to price increases happening.
not at all.... freshco, foodbasic, walmart, costco, TnT, Full Fresh are all within a 4km radius of my home and say i go to walmart, i pass by freshco, food basic on the way there. flipp is great and when i see stuff on sale, i just buy more because i know i'll use it anyways
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
12640 posts
6013 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: not at all.... freshco, foodbasic, walmart, costco, TnT, Full Fresh are all within a 4km radius of my home and say i go to walmart, i pass by freshco, food basic on the way there. flipp is great and when i see stuff on sale, i just buy more because i know i'll use it anyways
I think the point is you are in a unique location and you have time, Most people don't have that many stores close and not everyone has time to stop by 6 stores to do their groceries. If you do fabulous!
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Bestco is crazy AF... these guys raise prices 2x a yr. Ever since they were bought out by Loblaws it's the most freakin expensive asian grocer around. Use to be a frequent patron. Stopped going there when the pandemic started, coincidentally when prices rose umpteenth time. Bestco and T&T must be in cahoots for who can raise prices the fastest. Pathetic.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9002 upvotes
Toronto
kool1 wrote: I think the point is you are in a unique location and you have time, Most people don't have that many stores close and not everyone has time to stop by 6 stores to do their groceries. If you do fabulous!
The real problem is when Walmart decided they're not going to price match anymore, so now we all have to learn how to find the time to visit more than one store.
Thankfully, I don't use a car. Public transit is paid for on a monthly pass, which is the same rate no matter how many stores I visit in one month.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9002 upvotes
Toronto
kool1 wrote: I have never see prices go up like they are right now. I walked into No Frills a couple of weeks ago and they literally added 10-20% to all their shelved product.

How are people coping? Any hacks out there?

I have been stocking up more on sales and stocking up on things that haven't gone up yet (in anticipation that they will soon).
I read the flyer before heading out to shop. Who cares about how much something is if it's not in the flyer. Just try your best not to need it.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
I've noticed less flyer deals from every grocery store and what is on sale will be a lesser quality i.e. ground beef in the tubes instead of the fresh tray packs or frozen chicken parts instead of fresh. I agree with focussing on less food waste and stocking up on sales of nonperishables that you use regularly. Along with meat for the freezer, I vacuum seal things like cheese, spices and nuts to keep them fresh for longer.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
12640 posts
6013 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: I've noticed less flyer deals from every grocery store and what is on sale will be a lesser quality i.e. ground beef in the tubes instead of the fresh tray packs or frozen chicken parts instead of fresh. I agree with focussing on less food waste and stocking up on sales of nonperishables that you use regularly. Along with meat for the freezer, I vacuum seal things like cheese, spices and nuts to keep them fresh for longer.
I agree also - food waste is money waste. I threw out several cans and boxes of expired food in December. Must stop buying extra things no one will eat.

Will be more careful going forward.
divx wrote: this is happening everywhere in the world, we don't know how long it will last, could also be permanent.
Some things will probably come back down a bit eventually but I'm doubting we will not see 2019 prices again.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
kool1 wrote: I agree also - food waste is money waste. I threw out several cans and boxes of expired food in December. Must stop buying extra things no one will eat.

Will be more careful going forward.
Yes, even if it's on sale, you aren't saving anything if it has to get tossed...that said, I treat expiry dates more as "best before" dates. Things like canned goods are still good for many months if not years after the best before. The box of multigrain Cheerios I just opened up had an expiry of Dec 2021. Yogurt and dairy items if unopened remain good for a long time after expiry. I know some people may not be comfortable with consuming a product after it has "expired" and I also know some people will scrape mould off food and consume it (!).
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9002 upvotes
Toronto
Mars2012 wrote: Yes, even if it's on sale, you aren't saving anything if it has to get tossed...that said, I treat expiry dates more as "best before" dates. Things like canned goods are still good for many months if not years after the best before. The box of multigrain Cheerios I just opened up had an expiry of Dec 2021. Yogurt and dairy items if unopened remain good for a long time after expiry. I know some people may not be comfortable with consuming a product after it has "expired" and I also know some people will scrape mould off food and consume it (!).
One thing I do agree on is the ready made salad packages.
The lettuce might be gone at the BB date, but the dressing, & other things that come with it (ie nuts or other snacks intended to add to the salad) are still perfectly good.
Keep those, toss the salad and add them to a fresh new salad OR save the dressing, but eat the topping package by itself as a snack.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9002 upvotes
Toronto
Mars2012 wrote: I've noticed less flyer deals from every grocery store and what is on sale will be a lesser quality i.e. ground beef in the tubes instead of the fresh tray packs or frozen chicken parts instead of fresh. I agree with focussing on less food waste and stocking up on sales of nonperishables that you use regularly. Along with meat for the freezer, I vacuum seal things like cheese, spices and nuts to keep them fresh for longer.
I've noticed another direction. Ground beef seems to show up in the flyer on sale if, and only if one agrees to buy the club pack size.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
Zehrs had a deal on 350g High Liner battered haddock for $5.99 + 1,000 pts & of course they were sold out mid-Thursday.

They still had stock of 500g packages of the same thing for......................$16.49!!
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
12640 posts
6013 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: Yes, even if it's on sale, you aren't saving anything if it has to get tossed...that said, I treat expiry dates more as "best before" dates. Things like canned goods are still good for many months if not years after the best before. The box of multigrain Cheerios I just opened up had an expiry of Dec 2021. Yogurt and dairy items if unopened remain good for a long time after expiry. I know some people may not be comfortable with consuming a product after it has "expired" and I also know some people will scrape mould off food and consume it (!).
Correct - Expiry does not mean throw out

The stuff I threw out was definitely bad though, years LOL.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
kool1 wrote: Some things will probably come back down a bit eventually but I'm doubting we will not see 2019 prices again.
The supply chain damage is very significant, I'm seeing construction prices are all over the place and gpu and car prices is sky high.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)