Grocery Inflation is real in 2022

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2022 4:00 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
3191 posts
2439 upvotes
Southern Ontario
divx wrote: Canada have massive farming land and we are entering summer, so fresh veggie price should drop for us soon at least.
I guess you didn't notice the rise in fertilizer and other items needed for farmers. Prices WILL GO UP!!!

Only way fresh veggie prices go down is if you grow your own garden.

Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
8320 posts
5168 upvotes
Vancouver
Gibsons wrote: I guess you didn't notice the rise in fertilizer and other items needed for farmers. Prices WILL GO UP!!!

Only way fresh veggie prices go down is if you grow your own garden.

Not to mention cost of diesel for their equipment
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
12642 posts
15481 upvotes
Toronto
With grocery prices rising everywhere, why are stores keeping rotisserie chicken prices in check? Richard Southern reports.

Destiny is all
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
3382 posts
3047 upvotes
Toronto
Dhanushan wrote: With grocery prices rising everywhere, why are stores keeping rotisserie chicken prices in check? Richard Southern reports.

What longos is like $14 now from $10-$11
To the moon
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
18874 posts
5805 upvotes
Toronto
Redsanta wrote: What longos is like $14 now from $10-$11
Yeah, Loblaws has upped their price also, but Farm boy is maintaining their $11 price.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
11789 posts
4541 upvotes
Redsanta wrote: What longos is like $14 now from $10-$11
I just buy small chickens for $3-5 now and put them in the air fryer with some spice. Tastes the same.

Getting too pricey.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
4032 posts
4916 upvotes
Journal de Montreal has a report on inflation and family grocery purchases. IIRC, 70% of families reported they have reduced their grocery purchases.

In our case, luxury items have essentially been cut by 90%. It's a sickening feeling getting into the car looking at the receipt then glancing at the 2-3 bags in the back seat.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
1680 posts
1714 upvotes
Toronto
In the past food manufacturers were very price conscious, and would raise the price is small increments in tandem with lowering the product size. Customers would generally be more aware of the price side increase, not noticing the size decrease was the other half of the equation.

These days food manufacturers are solely going for the price side of things, so the same increase that was split is now double on the increase alone.

Add on top manufacturers have an easy out to increase above the normal yearly increase blaming fuel costs and other expenses across the board due to the global trade disruption.

As prices on fuel, fertilizer and disruptions cease and get back to normal....prices will be baked in and never going back.

My grocery Bill's are through the roof, haven't scaled back at all as of yet as food is essential.....however am very conscious of it.

Scaling back on other more discretionary purchases like entertainment, eating out, sport.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
11789 posts
4541 upvotes
KravenHead wrote: Journal de Montreal has a report on inflation and family grocery purchases. IIRC, 70% of families reported they have reduced their grocery purchases.
I have definitely scaled back. Less steak, less Hagan Dazs, less of the higher priced food items. Makes a difference!

It's ok, probably don't need them. I have managed to keep our shopping bills relatively flat this way.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
18874 posts
5805 upvotes
Toronto
kool1 wrote: I have definitely scaled back. Less steak, less Hagan Dazs, less of the higher priced food items. Makes a difference!

It's ok, probably don't need them. I have managed to keep our shopping bills relatively flat this way.
If you know for a fact that you will eat steak that night, you can always grab the "enjoy it tonight" steaks @ Loblaws for 50% off. Cook it right away and it still tastes the same...for less.

Some grocery stores have the same idea, but they're only offering 30% off.

I don't recommend freezing, because freezing means you may as well have bought it frozen in the first place for less...
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
4032 posts
4916 upvotes
kool1 wrote: I have definitely scaled back. Less steak, less Hagan Dazs, less of the higher priced food items. Makes a difference!

Outside of fruits/vegetables you wont find anything to munch on here except for pop corn as we rarely ever purchased deserts/snacks.
Groceries have always been meats, milk, vegetables and necessities (butter, foil, condiments etc). Now we're buying a lot less.
Use to buy salmon, steaks, chicken, pork from Costco and seal/freeze most of them.

We started to cut down as well as its won't be sustainable if it continues.

Luckily am "still" working remote and don't need to spend 400-500$ a month in gas.

Financially we do well yet I never thought I'd see the day where I'd have to start making decisions at the grocery store. I feel for those who are struggling w/ the current prices.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
4032 posts
4916 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: I don't recommend freezing, because freezing means you may as well have bought it frozen in the first place for less...
Disagree. We've been freezing for years and it's worth it.
Example, there's usually 10 fresh chicken breasts per pack at Costco goes for 25$-30$. They can be sliced in half as they are all more than an inch thick so its 20 pieces.
Freeze 5 per bag and have 5 in containers in the fridge. Same for Salmon and pork.
May 28, 2012
11739 posts
4277 upvotes
Saskatoon
KravenHead wrote: Disagree. We've been freezing for years and it's worth it.
Example, there's usually 10 fresh chicken breasts per pack at Costco goes for 25$-30$. They can be sliced in half as they are all more than an inch thick so its 20 pieces.
Freeze 5 per bag and have 5 in containers in the fridge. Same for Salmon and pork.
Also, those frozen chicken breasts are brined which makes them rubbery (made the mistake of buying them once). I buy fresh chicken and process for the freezer myself. The trick is to vacuum seal it well and to rotate your stock. I can buy whole chickens for $2 a pound...leave some whole for roasting, spatchcock for grilling, cut up pieces for pan roasting and the rest gets broken down into breasts, thighs, drums, and wings. Carcasses get made into broth and pressure canned.

Worst is grocery stores that sell meat in unit pricing (aka overpaying for the convenience of portion sizing).
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
18874 posts
5805 upvotes
Toronto
KravenHead wrote: Disagree. We've been freezing for years and it's worth it.
I was talking about Steak. You can buy it dirt cheap frozen, so no need to buy steak fresh on the day of expiry if the intent is to freeze it.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
4032 posts
4916 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: I was talking about Steak. You can buy it dirt cheap frozen, so no need to buy steak fresh on the day of expiry if the intent is to freeze it.
In all my years of grocery shopping I have never seen frozen steaks.
Must be a provincial thing...
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
11732 posts
6632 upvotes
I buy the Leadbetter's cross rib steaks from Alberta that are 4 x 6 oz...they were $10 for the longest time but they have very recently gone up to $12.99, a 30% increase.

It's too iffy to go to the store & hope that there is a marked down piece of meat/poultry/fish for me. I usually buy fresh club packs & potion singly in sandwich bags. The only thing I buy marked down regularly is liver (& the cashier last time asked it it was "for my dog!" lol, no, for us!) I freeze it & rethaw day of use.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
18874 posts
5805 upvotes
Toronto
KravenHead wrote: In all my years of grocery shopping I have never seen frozen steaks.
Must be a provincial thing...
Boxed steaks can be found frozen sometimes in grocery stores, but one can also find frozen steaks in packages at the Grocery Outlet store for a lot less: https://thegroceryoutlet.ca/ (subject to availability)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
5515 posts
2950 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Some grocery stores have the same idea, but they're only offering 30% off.
I went to a Metro and they were stickering items at 15% off and 30%

Come on man.

(They used to sticker at 30% and 50% off.)
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
18874 posts
5805 upvotes
Toronto
renoldman wrote: I went to a Metro and they were stickering items at 15% off and 30%

Come on man.

(They used to sticker at 30% and 50% off.)
That's the new inflation. I hope they end up throwing a bunch of meat in the garbage rather than getting the 30-50% off they could have gotten.
I was already ignoring the 30% discount as was.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)