Shopping Discussion

Grocery store flyer deals - OOS on day 1 !!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2017 8:02 pm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
I've seen Korean convenience store owners move with a couple skids of salmon in those 225 gram tins at $0.88 each.
I was surprised the store let them.
I've also witnessed the 99cent 2 litre bottles of brand name pop people buy a trolley full, go out and come back in for another trolley full again.
Most grocery stores don't even bother to restock after the weekend so unless you go before the weekend you're out of luck.
I found a No Frills that's not too busy, does not have wrong prices, nor charge me for more plastic bags than I requested.
I go to this No Frills if I really want an item.
Alternatively one can price match. I've seen some stores bring the prices down on certain items competitors have on sale but they themselves do not possibly because it was a popular price match item.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2701 posts
1378 upvotes
You know what you can do to avoid this problem? Since sales go Friday to following Thursday, buy all the stuff you need/want the Thursday before the sale begins. Then bring back the receipt the following day for price protection. Maybe that will work?
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3079 posts
1699 upvotes
Toronto
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote: You know what you can do to avoid this problem? Since sales go Friday to following Thursday, buy all the stuff you need/want the Thursday before the sale begins. Then bring back the receipt the following day for price protection. Maybe that will work?
Can you do that at grocery stores?
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
I doubt it
ds2chan wrote: Can you do that at grocery stores?
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
7220 posts
5991 upvotes
A decent grocery store will offer a substitute item when the advertised item is OOS. Many Canadian grocery stores used to follow that policy and would post a photocopied notice of product substitution on each door and on the shelf or bunker where the product is sold out.
Unfortunately the grocery business is so competitive in the GTA, stores are cutting back wherever possible to maintain profit margins.

I was in an American grocery store last month that had cans of Bumble Bee solid white albacore tuna in spring water for $0.99. They were sold out. I asked if they would substitute another brand of the same type and size. They substituted with a smile.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
Here's my take on it. Comparing NF weekly specials to Black Friday doorcrashers is incorrect.

On Black Friday and Boxing Day ads, the doorcrashers are clearly marked "15 per store" or whatever the number is, and "Friday November 24 only, no rain checks". So if you want it at that price that badly you better be the 15th body through the front door when the place opens at 6am to grab it. If that means camping out overnight, so be it. Best Buy, Source, Brick etc make no secret of this... the word "doorcrasher" is self-explanatory and its definition is generally agreed on.

NF ads say no such thing. They say the price is valid for a week. To advertise that way, one would reasonably expect stock to be there most of the week. I stress the word MOST. Sale goes Friday to Thursday, you should be able to get the item for that price from Friday to maybe Wednesday morning. If they CONSISTENTLY only put out say 15 bags of rice on the Friday with no restocking the rest of the week with no rain checks, the way Best Buy sells 4KTV's on BF, without saying so on the ad, that is wrong.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
plymouthhater wrote: A decent grocery store will offer a substitute item when the advertised item is OOS. Many Canadian grocery stores used to follow that policy and would post a photocopied notice of product substitution on each door and on the shelf or bunker where the product is sold out.
Unfortunately the grocery business is so competitive in the GTA, stores are cutting back wherever possible to maintain profit margins.

I was in an American grocery store last month that had cans of Bumble Bee solid white albacore tuna in spring water for $0.99. They were sold out. I asked if they would substitute another brand of the same type and size. They substituted with a smile.
The pleasure of shopping in America where there is real competition in retail, not a few big monopoly players like here (worst 3: Costco, Loblaws, Canadian Tire). Our "grocery business is so competitive" just like the airline industry - collusion collusion collusion.
Oct 22, 2006
749 posts
599 upvotes
Ontario
Jon Lai wrote: I'm not sure what's so frustrating.

I take all the flyers, and PM at WalMart. Never had an issue with stock.
I've seen you around here for years, so I know you're a nice guy. On that note though, you're the guy I absolutely HATE to be behind in the Walmart checkout. 30 seconds turns into a 10 minute wait. Please take your flyers to the self checkout... Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
dollarsign wrote: I've seen you around here for years, so I know you're a nice guy. On that note though, you're the guy I absolutely HATE to be behind in the Walmart checkout. 30 seconds turns into a 10 minute wait. Please take your flyers to the self checkout... Smiling Face With Open Mouth
You've just been behind novice PMers :D

I'm the type who have the flyers flipped to the right page and circled. Most cashiers just peek at it and approve the price. I'm not waiting 10 mins for the cashier to verify the PM to save 20 cents here and 30 cents there... not worth my time.
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
The No Frills OOS on day one has to be a problem with specific stores - I can't recall the last time that happened at the local NoFrills store.

Even today - No Frills was peddling flat screen TVs, cast iron pots and various other non-grocery items.
Taday - Nov 16th ONLY.

I never saw the flyer and these items until after 8pm tonight - walked over there and they still had stock on the items I wanted.
Last edited by krs on Nov 17th, 2017 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
plymouthhater wrote: A decent grocery store will offer a substitute item when the advertised item is OOS. Many Canadian grocery stores used to follow that policy and would post a photocopied notice of product substitution on each door and on the shelf or bunker where the product is sold out.

"Decent" is key, and most conventional grocery stores should be able to actively substitute items, without you even asking. From the volume discount chains go through major sale items, it's almost impossible to substitute in many cases. This is regardless of the reason...supply issue or the store blowing their order quantities. I used to sell for a food vendor.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19732 posts
28609 upvotes
Vancouver
If deals are super good and advertised, there should be no surprise they are completely out of stock on day 1. RCSS advertised Lavazza ground coffee for 2.98 each (limit 4). These usually sell for aboutt $4.50 at RCSS/NoFrills, and for $7-8 at most other stores. I made a special trip there for this, and of course they were out of stock. No Frills price matched it for me when I showed them the flyer.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2004
3379 posts
710 upvotes
North Etobicoke
No Frills at Martingrove and Hyw 7 in Woodbridge is notorious to try and weasle their way out of not taking coupons, there is always some excuse or another. I gave up shopping there.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19732 posts
28609 upvotes
Vancouver
Another No Frills price match/out of stock story:

Last weekend NoFrills price matched Superstore's price on Lavazza ground coffee, $2.98/pkg. Normally NoFrills sells it for about $4.50.

Yesterday, the same NoFrills has had all of the Lavazza ground coffee yanked from the shelves and replaced with other coffee, like they have stopped carrying it. They still sell Lavazza whole beans. I wonder if it will be back.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
6578 posts
9073 upvotes
Sometimes, the headquarter consolidate the product from other stores and sold in one store with big discount. I have seen Nofrills had a big discount on frozen Turkey after Christmas, but the weigh label came from Loblaws Superstore.
Kiraly wrote: Another No Frills price match/out of stock story:

Last weekend NoFrills price matched Superstore's price on Lavazza ground coffee, $2.98/pkg. Normally NoFrills sells it for about $4.50.

Yesterday, the same NoFrills has had all of the Lavazza ground coffee yanked from the shelves and replaced with other coffee, like they have stopped carrying it. They still sell Lavazza whole beans. I wonder if it will be back.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)