Grocery Store Price Matching

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2020 3:09 am
[OP]
Aug 23, 2016
162 posts
624 upvotes

Grocery Store Price Matching

Do grocery stores still provide price matching at check out? If so, is it poor etiquette to ask for price match on groceries? I've seen mixed feelings on this forum.
11 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18745 posts
6792 upvotes
Toronto
Yes stores still price match. Not poor etiquette at all. It's the RFD way of life.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2019
2323 posts
18759 upvotes
Most stores now have partitions to distance cashiers from customers so its safer than ever to price match.

I have continued to do so at both Walmart and RCSS (I alternate which store I shop at weekly).

What do people think of using coupons? Not all cashiers wear gloves so they might be apprehensive about touching coupons.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18745 posts
6792 upvotes
Toronto
Honestly who cares what people think. It's your money at the end of the day. Why not save it?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15926 posts
13163 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
CupofJava wrote: Do grocery stores still provide price matching at check out? If so, is it poor etiquette to ask for price match on groceries? I've seen mixed feelings on this forum.
I think as your question stands ...
It’s true in the BEFORE COVID (BC Days)
It was a mixed bag of people / stores that offered it, and people who used it

Now...
There’s definitely less people using it
And less stores offering it
Cuz of the whole social / physical distancing aspects

Plus now ... time is somewhat a precious commodity too

Although many of us are home all day long
We try to limit our time out in the world & interacting with others

Seems to me ... and many other RFDers that Grocery Shopping is a lot more tedious now
Being it in the store
Or online

Line ups ... waiting your turn
A slower process
Stock shortages etc
Regular Pricing vs Sales Pricing / availability

So the last thing anyone wants is to inconvenience others
Who already are working hard to deliver necessities in these crazy times

So ya ... you might want to rethink price matching at this time
It will make your time interacting with the cashier shorter
Which is good for them
But ... it will also be considerate of the person in line behind you

Now cuz this is RFD... not everyone is gonna agree with me
Cuz some folks believe saving money is always their top priority
it’s a priority for me too ... IN NORMAL TIMES
BUT THIS NOW ... IS FAR FROM NORMAL TIMES

I just personally think that everyone should do two things to get thru this crisis

1- ADJUST EXPECTATIONS (for awhile)
And
2- TRY TO BE CONSIDERATE & KIND TO OTHERS

Cuz no matter how bad you got it ... there’s ALWAYS SOMEONE WHOS GOT IT WORSE

And LESS INTERACTION = LESS RISK
to YOU & EVERYONE ELSE
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
1238 posts
1762 upvotes
At Maxi, there are 2 lines. One for self checkout and one for regular cash. There are barriers so you can't switch lanes. I was in the self checkout and when you get to the beginning of the carrosel, there is a sign that says you can't price match at self checkout. Next time I went, I made sure to go to regular cash for price match and use coupons.
Nov 9, 2005
239 posts
346 upvotes
Depends on what's more important to you. Time for you wait in regular line to price match or shorter line/breeze through self check-out but no price matching.

Personally, for me to save 2 bucks and wait 30 extra mins while self check-out is free...uhhh no thanks, self check-out all the way!

But again, everyone is different.

HOWEVER,

If you're gonna price match, have your app or flyers ready! There's already enough line ups everywhere!
Apr 10, 2020
284 posts
1058 upvotes
cute_honey wrote: Depends on what's more important to you. Time for you wait in regular line to price match or shorter line/breeze through self check-out but no price matching.

Personally, for me to save 2 bucks and wait 30 extra mins while self check-out is free...uhhh no thanks, self check-out all the way!
It really depends. In most cases, when the security guards see the line for the regular checkout is getting really long, they will open up more lanes to make it faster. I've seen long waiting times at the self-checkout line as well, so OP needs to weight the pros and cons to see which one is best according to their situation.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4158 posts
795 upvotes
Richmond
GeneralStore wrote: It really depends. In most cases, when the security guards see the line for the regular checkout is getting really long, they will open up more lanes to make it faster. I've seen long waiting times at the self-checkout line as well, so OP needs to weight the pros and cons to see which one is best according to their situation.
Sometimes when the self check out line is crazy full, the manager redirected people to the regular checkouts. The cashiers normally don't unless the manager does it lol. Because there is still the self checkout penetration so its usually ignored
Mar 22, 2020
382 posts
247 upvotes
I don’t think people should price match currently. It increases everyone’s risk. Normally I would say go for it. Right now, it’s a hard no from me.
Aug 15, 2018
168 posts
394 upvotes
Pardon wrote: Most stores now have partitions to distance cashiers from customers so its safer than ever to price match.

I have continued to do so at both Walmart and RCSS (I alternate which store I shop at weekly).

What do people think of using coupons? Not all cashiers wear gloves so they might be apprehensive about touching coupons.
If you shop at RCSS and want to use coupons, do it through self-checkout as they no longer need the cashier to come scan their card to approve them. Just leave the coupons there when finished.