Grocery stores selling B Grade @ Full Price

• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2020 2:45 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
3498 posts
1763 upvotes
Waterloo
renoldman wrote: I dislike that store brand (No Name, PC, Great Value, etc.) have sometimes become the same price and sometimes more expensive than the National brands.

They used to be far cheaper ... so are the store brands increasing margins or are the national brands taking less?
Interesting. Could you provide examples where store brand like No Name or Great Value costs the same or more than the name brand?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15194 posts
12350 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
crystallight wrote: Interesting. Could you provide examples where store brand like No Name or Great Value costs the same or more than the name brand?
Well ... right off the bat I would say the obvious one might be
If the name brand is ON SALE
It might be even cheaper than the Store Brand or No Name one
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
3498 posts
1763 upvotes
Waterloo
PointsHubby wrote: Well ... right off the bat I would say the obvious one might be
If the name brand is ON SALE
It might be even cheaper than the Store Brand or No Name one
I mean sure but that's not exactly a fair comparison. I figured OP meant regular price vs regular price. I don't think I've ever really seen the regular price of no name/store brand to be more expensive than the name brand. So I'm genuinely curious to see some examples because I buy store brand for a lot of things.
Jul 30, 2010
600 posts
337 upvotes
Toronto
One thing I've noticed that even across brands like Walmart's Great Value or SDM's Life ( I forgot the actual name I'm assuming it was Life) were the same product inside just different label. For instance, found this to be the case for diapers.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
5017 posts
2162 upvotes
crystallight wrote: Interesting. Could you provide examples where store brand like No Name or Great Value costs the same or more than the name brand?
Maybe, I should adjust my thoughts into stating that Store Brand products have increased to the price point where National Brands used to be.

Wal-Mart and Loblaws are not likely to simply list their alternative products at the same or more expensive at regular prices.

It's like the Grocers increased their margins to where the national brands used to be and list the national brands higher. And, yes, sometimes you see the old sale prices on the national brands (think Cheese, Pop, Cereal, Pasta) ... I don't mean once a decade sale, I mean every month or so sale.

It's not really a struggle to find national brand Pasta or Pasta Sauce at the traditional $1 per item or Cereal at $2-3 for a decent sized box.

Another one is the Piller's Pepperettes (not really the healthiest thing to buy) .... now they sell the 500g size for $5 at No Frills while I rarely see the store brand alternative for less than $9 (unless it's to clear inventory)
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1747 posts
539 upvotes
Edmonton
renoldman wrote: Maybe, I should adjust my thoughts into stating that Store Brand products have increased to the price point where National Brands used to be.

Wal-Mart and Loblaws are not likely to simply list their alternative products at the same or more expensive at regular prices.

It's like the Grocers increased their margins to where the national brands used to be and list the national brands higher. And, yes, sometimes you see the old sale prices on the national brands (think Cheese, Pop, Cereal, Pasta) ... I don't mean once a decade sale, I mean every month or so sale.

It's not really a struggle to find national brand Pasta or Pasta Sauce at the traditional $1 per item or Cereal at $2-3 for a decent sized box.

Another one is the Piller's Pepperettes (not really the healthiest thing to buy) .... now they sell the 500g size for $5 at No Frills while I rarely see the store brand alternative for less than $9 (unless it's to clear inventory)
That was always the goal... flood the market with cheap items at similar quality, hope to gain some brand loyalty, then make it more expensive than a national brand!

People prefer store brands as if the whole thing is not a simple cash grab by the store themselves. All the more reasons why I will never buy store brand unless it is something that doesn’t need to be quality.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1614 posts
355 upvotes
Vancouver
GeneralStore wrote: There is one thing I'm not sure about. Are they using the exact same ingredients or are they using substitutes for the store brand names? It seems to me that a lot of the products taste different, even though they are manufactured at the same factory.
Some do some don’t. Private label may have lower quality ingredients than brand name otherwise exactly the same.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
5017 posts
2162 upvotes
tablo13 wrote: That was always the goal... flood the market with cheap items at similar quality, hope to gain some brand loyalty, then make it more expensive than a national brand!

People prefer store brands as if the whole thing is not a simple cash grab by the store themselves. All the more reasons why I will never buy store brand unless it is something that doesn’t need to be quality.
Well, PC's "Blue Menu" items try and sell you on the product being made of better ingredients ....

I think people have the idea of what National Brand items used to cost, so when they see Store Brands at that price, it seems like their prices increased when in reality, the National Brands have increased as well.

I just see sales on the National Brand items (Cheese, Cereal, Pasta, various Sauces, aforementioned Pepperettes) at the prices they used to have making me question whether stores have artificially jacked the prices on these products because they have skin in the game now.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15194 posts
12350 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
renoldman wrote: Well, PC's "Blue Menu" items try and sell you on the product being made of better ingredients ....

I think people have the idea of what National Brand items used to cost, so when they see Store Brands at that price, it seems like their prices increased when in reality, the National Brands have increased as well.

I just see sales on the National Brand items (Cheese, Cereal, Pasta, various Sauces, aforementioned Pepperettes) at the prices they used to have making me question whether stores have artificially jacked the prices on these products because they have skin in the game now.
Never saw PC Blue Menu as having better ingredients
Just so called healthier ingredients ... so less fat, salt & sugar
Frankly I find every Blue Menu Product that I have tried to be over priced ... and tasteless

PC Black Label Products ... they are the high end items at PC+ Loblaws Group Stores
And THEY DO HAVE BETTER INGREDIENTS in them
And they are all quite expensive
And cater to very much a niche “foodie” audience

In my experience since Covid
Prices have not gone up drastically
It’s just that what we all are familiar with in regards to Sales Pricing ... is few & far between
(In so much as every item in a store has a Low Sale Price ... and then a Middle to High Range for Regular Pricing)
Right now ... everything is selling pretty much continually in the Medium to High Range
(More High than Middle)

This is true for everything ... including Name Brands, Store Brands & even No Name

So this is why sticker shock is getting to everyone

We are quite used to buying stuff from full shelves
With plenty of choice ... and the fluctuations of the price ranges
You take away items ... OOS / SOLD OUT ... or cannot get
And everything else available at Regular Middle to Regular High
Seems overtly expensive ... even if it’s listing in the same range it was back in January or March

Plus you add in people not working ...
And money tighter

And suddenly people are very aware that some of the shelves are bare
And for awhile ... Groceries was pretty much the only thing we all could buy (every other store closed)
So attention was acute on grocery shopping & prices like never before
Versus not so long ago, when the vast majority probably just threw in their cart whatever they wanted

This is WHY so many people are misjudging current prices to those a few months ago
They weren’t plugged in as much then as now

* NOTE - The Price Exceptions here ... are the “Covid Essentials” the stuff that people took to hoarding
To the point where it’s difficult to find anywhere
TP, PT, Kleenex, Bleach, Lysol Wipes, Gloves, Masks, Flour, Yeast etc
YES there are some Retailers gouging on these items cuz of increased demand
But there are also others who haven’t raised their prices ... but then they just cannot keep up to demand
Example ... Costco & Lysol Wipes. Regular Price for 6 Canisters of 100 = $ 19.99 ($ 22.49 on Costco.ca )
Was on sale all of April (regular sales cycle) for $ 15.99 in store ... and $ 18.49 on line
Some folks even perceived these sale prices to be high ... cuz it was difficult to obtain the product in store (flew off the shelves the second they came in)
And because of social distancing, more people bought on line ... which with Costco is ALWAYS MORE EXPENSIVE
So to those folks $ 18.49 vs $ 15.99 seemed to be a raise in price
It’s not. When the regular no sale price online is $ 22.49
And anyone lucky to get it now from Costco.ca ... is most definitely freaking out at $ 22.49
But it’s just Costco’s HIGHEST Regular Price on the Low - Middle - High Range
And still cheaper than anywhere else

That’s not to say some retailers aren’t taking advantage
There are certainly those gouging most notably on their Covid Essentials

And food in general ... will prices increase over the short to long haul
This Summer / Fall & Winter
Yes, most likely... especially if there are shortages due to all the issues that Covid throws our way
Shutdowns, Closures, Physical Distancing, Manpower Shortages due to Illness, Freight (Trucking & Shipping) etc
But we aren’t there yet
It truly hasn’t happened yet
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34631 posts
4089 upvotes
Winnipeg
^I think it is good that we are going into the summer as food prices tend to be cheaper since Canada can grow food in summer time, otherwise it would have been more expensive if we rely on imports.