Expired Hot Deals

[grosche.ca] Grosche "Portland" Glass Pour Over Coffee Maker with double layer metal filter - 75% off - $15.00

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2020 11:27 am
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19840 posts
5199 upvotes
Off the 404
Akitakara wrote: Thank you!

Do you find any difference in terms of the resulting cup of coffee, though?
Used the Seattle today. This filter has a bit more coffee grind dust at the bottom compared to the mesh filter on the Portland. Still not a big deal to me, I will grind my beans a bit coarser tomorrow to see if it helps. However, the single piece filter on the Seattle is much easier to clean.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
2891 posts
848 upvotes
Ottawa
coriolis wrote: Used the Seattle today. This filter has a bit more coffee grind dust at the bottom compared to the mesh filter on the Portland. Still not a big deal to me, I will grind my beans a bit coarser tomorrow to see if it helps. However, the single piece filter on the Seattle is much easier to clean.
Thank you SO much for taking the time to take pictures and for sharing your impressions on both. It really helps me a lot!

When I use Kicking Horse beans with my French press, I always end up with powered coffee residue at the bottom of my cup, so I'm kinda leaning towards the Portland being better suited for me
Nov 5, 2018
25 posts
26 upvotes
I try to get as much coffee dust as possible Neutral Face
Sep 2, 2009
105 posts
30 upvotes
London
Ordered a bunch of stuff the night OP posted this. Was finally set to arrive today. Unfortunately came while I was out of the house and it all got stolen :( ... Was really looking forward to it too... damn!
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19840 posts
5199 upvotes
Off the 404
Akitakara wrote: Thank you SO much for taking the time to take pictures and for sharing your impressions on both. It really helps me a lot!

When I use Kicking Horse beans with my French press, I always end up with powered coffee residue at the bottom of my cup, so I'm kinda leaning towards the Portland being better suited for me
After 3 uses, I can confirm that the Seattle definitely has more coffee dust, but it is very very fine. Cleaning is super easy.

Using the Portland today, with the same coarse grind, it has much less dust at the bottom. But as mentioned earlier, the mesh is already starting to stain, I have just rinsed the filters so far with some agitation, have not used any soap/descaler/vinegar.

I personally don't mind the dust, I'll probably use the Seattle when I am making a brew for myself, the Portland when its for two.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
1352 posts
495 upvotes
Toronto
shazaam! wrote: Ordered a bunch of stuff the night OP posted this. Was finally set to arrive today. Unfortunately came while I was out of the house and it all got stolen :( ... Was really looking forward to it too... damn!
FedEx claimed to come by on Friday (didn't get a slip) said it was delivered Monday when I was home but no package.
Member since 2006

Koodo- $40/8gb
Curren phone: Samsung S9
Feb 21, 2010
17 posts
6 upvotes
User manual says to clean filter with dish soap after each use (or it will eventually plug).

I used the Portland filter in my bodum coffee maker, it is much better at its job than the bodum one.
Nov 7, 2007
649 posts
356 upvotes
My while delivered 2 days ago. Very well packed. Thanks OP
Nov 13, 2018
308 posts
683 upvotes
YMMV but after two weeks, my groche double layer filter basically clogged to the point of no return. There are tips and tricks online about how to clean them with vinegar solution, or burn the coffee out in a gas stove, etc. Eventually I just gave up and now use paper filters and a chemex.

I found it was great for about 20 uses, them extraction became slower and slower until it was basically unusable.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
2891 posts
848 upvotes
Ottawa
cozyhug wrote: link pls! i don't see it =/
I searched about ~1 hour after that person posted, and it showed as OOS on The Bay's site
Dec 12, 2019
28 posts
19 upvotes
Noob coffee question, any point in getting the Portland if I have an aeropress?