Ground coffee clog drain, sink?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2018 12:48 pm
[OP]
Jan 21, 2017
916 posts
293 upvotes

Ground coffee clog drain, sink?

Hey guys. I ve been using French press lately and not knowing better, I've been washing off the ground coffee of my cup at the sink. Apparently it is one of the worst offenders of clotting drains. What should I do now? The drain is not clogged yet. But are there anything I can do now to fix the potential issue or prevent clogging from happening?
19 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2015
1285 posts
529 upvotes
North York, ON
Remove P-Trap under sink and clean as best as possible. After reinstalling P-Trap fill P=Trap with cleaner (baking soda + vinegar) and let sit for 45 mins. Place sink stopper in and fill with hot water, Use plunger to remove as much as possible. Repeat a couple of times Realize much of the grease will be in the PO (the horizontal chrome part upstream of the trap) because it's generally colder then the piping close to sink.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16593 posts
18175 upvotes
Oakville
magoot wrote: Remove P-Trap under sink and clean as best as possible. After reinstalling P-Trap fill P=Trap with cleaner (baking soda + vinegar) and let sit for 45 mins. Place sink stopper in and fill with hot water, Use plunger to remove as much as possible. Repeat a couple of times Realize much of the grease will be in the PO (the horizontal chrome part upstream of the trap) because it's generally colder then the piping close to sink.
+1, but don't add baking soda to the vinegar as it will only turn it into water. Just pour the vinegar down the drain and let it sit, then flush it for a while with hot water.
If you think it still needs cleaning, buy some enzymatic cleaner from Home Depot. Don't use Drain-O as it can damage your pipes.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2015
1285 posts
529 upvotes
North York, ON
engineered wrote: +1, but don't add baking soda to the vinegar as it will only turn it into water. Just pour the vinegar down the drain and let it sit, then flush it for a while with hot water.
If you think it still needs cleaning, buy some enzymatic cleaner from Home Depot. Don't use Drain-O as it can damage your pipes.
Vinegar + baking soda is an outdated recipe and you're exactly right. Thanks for pointing that out as the baking soda does turn it to water.
Draino-O- I've seen so many pipes damaged, some even rotted away from Drain-O.
Thanks for the clarification and when I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12292 posts
6857 upvotes
Brampton
Or just dump boiling hot water down.

It's the grease that's stuck in the pipes that acts as the glue for grounds. A bit (Lot) of hot water will free it right up.
If you don't have a clog yet don't worry too much. As you do your dishes, the soap running down per wash will slowly wash away the grease and gunk down the drain (as long as you don't add to the mess).

Lesson for the future. Don't dump grease or grounds down the drain.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4894 posts
1492 upvotes
How well can PVC pipes take boiling water?
Let's hug it out
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12292 posts
6857 upvotes
Brampton
RCGA wrote: How well can PVC pipes take boiling water?
Well hopefully you're not just pouring boiling water down straight from the pot all the time, but PVC is max rated for 140C.
You only need water to be around the 60-80C region to start unclogging stuff.
Dec 22, 2016
46 posts
12 upvotes
Oh wow, i always wash my grounds tray in the sink. Does it actually get stuck in the p-trap? Or does this only happen with excessive amounts?
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2015
1285 posts
529 upvotes
North York, ON
Daisy91 wrote: Oh wow, i always wash my grounds tray in the sink. Does it actually get stuck in the p-trap? Or does this only happen with excessive amounts?
It gets trapped throughout the pipes. More so in the first 3' of pipe. Hot water heats grease and once grease hits cold drain pipes it forms a sludge. Coffee grounds are absorbed by grease and sludge buildup occurs.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2787 upvotes
DPR2017 wrote: Hey guys. I ve been using French press lately and not knowing better, I've been washing off the ground coffee of my cup at the sink. Apparently it is one of the worst offenders of clotting drains. What should I do now? The drain is not clogged yet. But are there anything I can do now to fix the potential issue or prevent clogging from happening?
Too true! I've had to deal with exactly this issue.

I didn't bother removing the trap or using any harsh chemical dissolvers, I just ran a drain snake through it (one like this, although mine was $3 at the dollar store). That busted up the clog enough to flush it all out with hot water.
Dec 22, 2016
46 posts
12 upvotes
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: I had no idea! I've been rinsing out the extra grinds in my drain for years and had my sink back up a few times. I was wondering what was causing it! I guess now i know.
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1709 posts
910 upvotes
Toronto
I have come to expect a certain amount of ignorance when it comes to home issues here on RFD but this one takes the cake so far. Who on earth would flush SOLID matter down their drain and not expect a problem to occur? What's next, a thread on clogged toilets because someone decided to flush their used toilet rolls?
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1370 posts
801 upvotes
ottawa
hoponpop wrote: I have come to expect a certain amount of ignorance when it comes to home issues here on RFD but this one takes the cake so far. Who on earth would flush SOLID matter down their drain and not expect a problem to occur? What's next, a thread on clogged toilets because someone decided to flush their used toilet rolls?
Are you saying you let nothing solid go down your plumbing pipes? Do you poop in an outhouse and rinse your plates with the garden hose?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16593 posts
18175 upvotes
Oakville
barqers wrote: Are you saying you let nothing solid go down your plumbing pipes? Do you poop in an outhouse and rinse your plates with the garden hose?
Our plates all get scraped into the green bin and there's a screen that prevents anything going down the sink drain. The screen gets emptied into the green bin.
You need more fibre if your poop is solid ;)
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1370 posts
801 upvotes
ottawa
engineered wrote: Our plates all get scraped into the green bin and there's a screen that prevents anything going down the sink drain. The screen gets emptied into the green bin.
You need more fibre if your poop is solid ;)
I guess you're right, I scrape into the green bin and then rinse, but sometimes those annoying sweet pepper seeds and other objects make there way into the sink and under the strainer! I wasn't too worried til I saw this thread but most of the responses will make me a lot more diligent about not letting solids go down... that and maybe more fibre like you said haha.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16593 posts
18175 upvotes
Oakville
barqers wrote: I guess you're right, I scrape into the green bin and then rinse, but sometimes those annoying sweet pepper seeds and other objects make there way into the sink and under the strainer! I wasn't too worried til I saw this thread but most of the responses will make me a lot more diligent about not letting solids go down... that and maybe more fibre like you said haha.
Right, you can't catch 100% of it, but you should try to get as much as you can. A few seeds aren't likely to clog anything, but if you pour grease, sauce, and lots of food then you could build clogs. I run enzymes down the drains once in a while to clear anything that might be building up.

It's also suggested that you don't wash down with hot water, as that can carry greases down your drains, but when it hits the cold main drain from your house, it can solidify.
When I moved into our new house, I had to have the city come clear the city drain as it had some roots and a lot of grease/fat build up.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6446 posts
1094 upvotes
A family member had to get the plumber in for this exact reason - drain pipe completely plugged because of coffee grounds from a French press which she had started using a few months before. That was an expensive lesson.
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1709 posts
910 upvotes
Toronto
barqers wrote: I guess you're right, I scrape into the green bin and then rinse, but sometimes those annoying sweet pepper seeds and other objects make there way into the sink and under the strainer! I wasn't too worried til I saw this thread but most of the responses will make me a lot more diligent about not letting solids go down... that and maybe more fibre like you said haha.
apology accepted.