Home & Garden

Groundhog under my doorsteps!

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2021 7:49 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1596 posts
429 upvotes
ORLEANS

Groundhog under my doorsteps!

Upon exiting my vehicle, I see a hole in my lawn beside my doorsteps. So I think there is a animal living under my doorsteps. Check the nest doorbell, and it seems like it’s a groundhog. There was already a hole when I purchased this home last year. I just filled it with rocks. And I guess the groundhog digged up the rocks. I heard lime juice, garlic and black pepper can make them leave?

I can buy a bottle of lime juice, fresh garlic and ground black pepper tomorrow at the groceries. How would I use them? Just pour lime juice in the hole? Peel garlic and diced them and throw it hole? Ground black pepper, sprinkle in hole as well?
36 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 19, 2008
6882 posts
2446 upvotes
GTA
Lime juice. fresh garlic and ground pepper sounds like a homemade rub for BBQ groundhog Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Stick a garden hose in the hole and flush him out, then play whack-a-mole. At the cottage the groundhogs usually had at least 2 entrances to their dens.
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 13, 2004
11356 posts
502 upvotes
Toronto
Leave it alone. They aren't going to do any damage.

If "whack-a-mole" means hitting it, that's a crime. So is drowning it with a hose.
Zamboni wrote: Lime juice. fresh garlic and ground pepper sounds like a homemade rub for BBQ groundhog Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Stick a garden hose in the hole and flush him out, then play whack-a-mole. At the cottage the groundhogs usually had at least 2 entrances to their dens.
Sr. Member
Jan 7, 2013
778 posts
434 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
You can try Critter Ritter. Expensive for essentially a tub of spices but seemed to get rid of the chip munks under my AC slab.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1596 posts
429 upvotes
ORLEANS
Wtf?? I sprinkled the hole with the garlic, pepper, lime juice then put ply wood and then a bag of salt. It then just digged another hole. How much does animal removal services cost to relocate it? Can bleach kill this MOtherF?
Images
  • FB04133C-2BCF-44F2-8FFD-EAAA79B62983.jpeg
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4593 upvotes
Montréal
Don't tell me you're srsly thinking if *killing* the thing? Come up w something more 'humane' (in '' since it's really a misnomer, we're the cruelest species on the planet).
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1596 posts
429 upvotes
ORLEANS
tranquility922 wrote: Don't tell me you're srsly thinking if *killing* the thing? Come up w something more 'humane' (in '' since it's really a misnomer, we're the cruelest species on the planet).
if he’s not going to leave after I sprinkle pepper and garlic, I’m doing something else. U want him? It’s like he’s the owner of this house! When no one was him he was on the doorsteps enjoying the sunshine.... I don’t want him dead under my doorsteps..... so can’t kill him with bleach or rat poison
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1668 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Zamboni wrote: Lime juice. fresh garlic and ground pepper sounds like a homemade rub for BBQ groundhog Smiling Face With Open Mouth
@UrbanPoet ... Comments...???
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 19, 2008
6882 posts
2446 upvotes
GTA
Palidino wrote: Wtf?? I sprinkled the hole with the garlic, pepper, lime juice then put ply wood and then a bag of salt. It then just digged another hole.
He probably licked the garlic salt, bit the lime and then stuck his head out the new hole looking for a shot of tequila!

Try the garden hose, that might flush him out. Seen guys run a tube from cars exhaust into the hole....even heard stories of people running propane (heavier than air) into the hole and lighting it up-sounds very dangerous.
Groundhogs are rodents, you're allowed to kill it if its messing with your property.
Last edited by Zamboni on May 29th, 2021 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sr. Member
Jan 21, 2011
816 posts
337 upvotes
GTA
Try some ammonia. Might only be temporary and you have to keep reapplying.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4593 upvotes
Montréal
Palidino wrote: if he’s not going to leave after I sprinkle pepper and garlic, I’m doing something else. U want him? It’s like he’s the owner of this house! When no one was him he was on the doorsteps enjoying the sunshine.... I don’t want him dead under my doorsteps..... so can’t kill him with bleach or rat poison
You have a photo? Cmon, be nice, I'm sure you can figure out a way to remove the critter w/o harming it.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Sr. Member
Oct 22, 2016
748 posts
652 upvotes
Comox Valley
Come to think of it, as Zamboni said about the exhaust, that is what we use to do on a farm. There were so many of them, take the tractor, put a hose in the holes, then hook up to the exhaust. But if the groundhog is nesting right beside your foundation, and you have a basement. The SOB dies, smell might be a concern.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 9, 2012
4734 posts
3955 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Palidino wrote: Wtf?? I sprinkled the hole with the garlic, pepper, lime juice then put ply wood and then a bag of salt. It then just digged another hole. How much does animal removal services cost to relocate it? Can bleach kill this MOtherF?
Did you make sure he was gone first? Otherwise, if he was still under there he may have dug it out like that so he was no longer trapped under there.

Did you make sure that’s the only entrance/exit? They almost always have 2 entrances/exits so doing something like this at one end isn’t going to do much if they can just use their secondary access point.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1596 posts
429 upvotes
ORLEANS
CanadianLurker wrote: Did you make sure he was gone first? Otherwise, if he was still under there he may have dug it out like that so he was no longer trapped under there.

Did you make sure that’s the only entrance/exit? They almost always have 2 entrances/exits so doing something like this at one end isn’t going to do much if they can just use their secondary access point.
In my doorbell cam, he enters and exits through the same hole. I’m not sure if there are any other exits because he dug a new hole to get out when my plywood covered his original hole. On the cam he dug the hole, then came out and smelled the garlic and pepper I sprinkled around the area. Then enter back to his nest with the new hole he made. My row townhouse building has 6 homes. I am #3 so I have side neighbours on both sides. So I don’t think there are any other entrance/exit

Would a 20 litre bucket filled with hot water poured directly in the hole be powerful enough to flush him out? When there be water coming into my basement if I did this?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 2, 2009
1670 posts
322 upvotes
Just get a trap cage, just set it outside the hole put some food in it like cereal, and when the step on the little platform the door slams shut.
I’m sure you can borrow them from animal services in your city.
When you have beast trapped take it for a drive into to country or drown it, as they can do a lot of damage by digging big holes, and tunnels this family’s multiply really fast.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/adva ... 1997p.html
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
14316 posts
9085 upvotes
Markham
rotjong wrote: Just get a trap cage, just set it outside the hole put some food in it like cereal, and when the step on the little platform the door slams shut.
I’m sure you can borrow them from animal services in your city.
When you have beast trapped take it for a drive into to country or drown it, as they can do a lot of damage by digging big holes, and tunnels this family’s multiply really fast.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/adva ... 1997p.html
Better to call a pest control/wildlife control company...they will set the trap and do the work and will relocate it to the house of one of the ppl who keep saying to leave it alone. LOL.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1596 posts
429 upvotes
ORLEANS
rotjong wrote: Just get a trap cage, just set it outside the hole put some food in it like cereal, and when the step on the little platform the door slams shut.
I’m sure you can borrow them from animal services in your city.
When you have beast trapped take it for a drive into to country or drown it, as they can do a lot of damage by digging big holes, and tunnels this family’s multiply really fast.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/adva ... 1997p.html
Ok I’m going to buy a trap. The opening of the trap should face the hole right? Would dumping 20litres of hot water in the hole at once damage the house?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 13, 2010
3616 posts
3787 upvotes
GTA
HowEver wrote: Leave it alone. They aren't going to do any damage.

If "whack-a-mole" means hitting it, that's a crime. So is drowning it with a hose.
Wrong. https://www.creaturecontrol.net/blog/gr ... on-damage/ These extensive burrows can pose real risks to the foundations of buildings, which can be undermined by the groundhog’s activity.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1703 posts
824 upvotes
London
Palidino wrote: Wtf?? I sprinkled the hole with the garlic, pepper, lime juice then put ply wood and then a bag of salt. It then just dug another hole. How much does animal removal services cost to relocate it? Can bleach kill this MOtherF?
Fixed it.
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 13, 2004
11356 posts
502 upvotes
Toronto
That company wants to sell you solutions. Of course they are anti-groundhog, as it were.

In the real world, I've lived 25 years with groundhog family after groundhog family in my garden. Absolutely no damage to anything, and lots of joy to anyone who sees them (who doesn't want to murder them for no reason).
tew wrote: Wrong. https://www.creaturecontrol.net/blog/gr ... on-damage/ These extensive burrows can pose real risks to the foundations of buildings, which can be undermined by the groundhog’s activity.

Top