54% off One-Month Unlimited Gym Membership [eMbody Fitness]

[OP]
Banned
Jun 20, 2020
13 posts
65 upvotes

[Groupon Canada] 54% off One-Month Unlimited Gym Membership [eMbody Fitness]

The Deal
C$68 for a one-month unlimited gym membership (C$150 value)

Includes group fitness and cycling classes plus a personal fitness consultation with a certified personal trainer
The gym is open 24/7 and has convenient key fob access
See the fitness-class schedule here.
20 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
16806 posts
4589 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
This has to be a shill post? Most gyms are closed and this seems like a no-name gym..

What's their covid19 procedures like? Gyms are deemed to be one of the highest risks for an infection at the moment.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
2639 posts
2086 upvotes
YYZ
bankruptcies for gyms are coming.
Licensed Full Service Realtor
Sep 4, 2017
636 posts
874 upvotes
bLuPhYrE wrote: bankruptcies for gyms are coming.
Genuinely curious, how do gyms lose money if they do not offer any physical product(s)? I assume they are not paying much expenses either since they're not in operation atm.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
2639 posts
2086 upvotes
YYZ
JohnF100 wrote: Genuinely curious, how do gyms lose money if they do not offer any physical product(s)? I assume they are not paying much expenses either since they're not in operation atm.
a lot of equipment is leased / financed and rent alone could bankrupt a company with no revenue coming in.

also factor in any loans taken to purchase equipment
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2015
2093 posts
1856 upvotes
Ontario
JohnF100 wrote: Genuinely curious, how do gyms lose money if they do not offer any physical product(s)? I assume they are not paying much expenses either since they're not in operation atm.
Rent isn't cheap.
Virgin Plus ($35/20GB for 15 months)
Sep 29, 2014
738 posts
399 upvotes
GTA
Still need to pay your landlord,

A place like eMBody with two floors could easily be 20K in monthly rent

Edit: For reference, a few doors down from this gym a small restaurant (930 sq feet) at 557 is selling and their listing says 5.5k monthly rent
Last edited by D50M83 on Jul 5th, 2020 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5069 posts
3251 upvotes
RichRFD wrote: Rent isn't cheap.
Gyms are all about location location location. Think of all the prime locations Goodlife takes up, and think of how HUGE those gyms are too.

Unlike other kinds of businesses, a good chunk of members will seriously doubt safety and may not renew memberships, and potential new members will take a haaaaard pass.
Mar 10, 2012
780 posts
1489 upvotes
PEACHLAND
Yea, I run three gyms with a combined 16,000 square feet (not huge gyms, not tiny) and pay just over 35k/month in rent alone... Combine that with any debt/ equipment lease obligations and you can be in a really bad way. That's not even a lot for rent. Some locations in big urban downtown centers pay double or triple what we do per square foot.

However, we have seen a real uptick in memberships since reopening at 2 of the 3, as others have shutdown permanently in our areas. Don't over-leverage, folks

When all of this hit back in March we went from making good money to $0 literally overnight. Interesting to watch your assets turn into liabilities with zero warning
Last edited by 2003fxdl on Jul 5th, 2020 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
7884 posts
8256 upvotes
Calgary
24 hour Fitness in the States just declared.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2555 posts
3616 upvotes
GTA
My local gym couldn’t work out deferral terms with their landlord (he basically just said pay in full or foreclosure) and closed a while ago. $20k rent and $0 revenue with no end in sight. I miss it, but cannot blame them.
Mar 22, 2017
82 posts
111 upvotes
2003fxdl wrote: Yea, I run three gyms with a combined 16,000 square feet (not huge gyms, not tiny) and pay just over 35k/month in rent alone... Combine that with any debt/ equipment lease obligations and you can be in a really bad way. That's not even a lot for rent. Some locations in big urban downtown centers pay double or triple what we do per square foot.

However, we have seen a real uptick in memberships since reopening at 2 of the 3, as others have shutdown permanently in our areas. Don't over-leverage, folks

When all of this hit back in March we went from making good money to $0 literally overnight. Interesting to watch your assets turn into liabilities with zero warning
Brutal.

Wishing you all the best for your business and hoping you and all of your staff and patrons stay safe!
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2011
2351 posts
5102 upvotes
Mississauga
Sadly I see this happening too. Most gyms are still surviving as they are charging monthly fees as part of people's contracts. But as soon as the gyms start to open more and more people will be cancelling their contracts or let alone using home gyms instead.
Mar 10, 2012
780 posts
1489 upvotes
PEACHLAND
JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo wrote: Brutal.

Wishing you all the best for your business and hoping you and all of your staff and patrons stay safe!
Thank-you. Grateful to have a healthy family, roof over my head and luckily we're in a better position financially than a lot of small business owners. Thankfully all 3 of my landlords seem to be receptive to the gov't rent assistance program which helps us. I definitely feel for those who were struggling before it all hit. You stay safe and be careful out there as well!
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
2639 posts
2086 upvotes
YYZ
jetertmac wrote: Sadly I see this happening too. Most gyms are still surviving as they are charging monthly fees as part of people's contracts. But as soon as the gyms start to open more and more people will be cancelling their contracts or let alone using home gyms instead.
ive personally spent a small fortune on sourcing and setting up my home gym. I will definitely be canceling my membership as soon as gyms open.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2010
1371 posts
1558 upvotes
Earth
2003fxdl wrote: Yea, I run three gyms with a combined 16,000 square feet (not huge gyms, not tiny) and pay just over 35k/month in rent alone... Combine that with any debt/ equipment lease obligations and you can be in a really bad way. That's not even a lot for rent. Some locations in big urban downtown centers pay double or triple what we do per square foot.
Hey as a long time accountant I know what your #s would be: but I gotta ask, how can the gym the Op mentions be open 24/7? thought that wasn't allowed anymore until Covid is near nil or gym is staffed 24/7
Zoomer: 1 account for family and planning to leave for good in 2023
Koodo too: for a phone and locked to 24 months but was a good deal.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
16684 posts
11832 upvotes
Toronto
this thread will be downvoted into oblivion.
Mar 10, 2012
780 posts
1489 upvotes
PEACHLAND
geoffs wrote: Hey as a long time accountant I know what your #s would be: but I gotta ask, how can the gym the Op mentions be open 24/7? thought that wasn't allowed anymore until Covid is near nil or gym is staffed 24/7
Each jurisdiction is different. I'm in BC, no restrictions on 24/7. Our local health authority *recommends* we have a staff member at all times but that's all it is. Simply a recommendation. We are a 24/7 club, and we started out with limited hours after reopening... We don't have the budget to staff 24/7 as that would at least double our payroll costs.

I approach this with logic. I certainly don't want our members or staff contracting covid, however simply having a staff member in the club does nothing to prevent this. We are doing our best to be responsible as a business and have extra precautions and procedures in place, but we're all adults and we need cooperation from everybody to do their part. The staff cannot watch over everyone all the time to make sure members are social distancing, just as nobody watches you while you wander through the grocery store. So we opted to go 24/7 again at our gym, because cramming our members into a 16-hour day makes less sense to me than spreading them out over a 24 hour period. If a member isn't comfortable during the busier times they can come in at 2am when nobody is around if they want. We staff during our busiest times and have increased cleaning protocols during those times. I'm more concerned about the gym being busy since it's far more likely to be spread by droplets than it is by surfaces.

So, that's my take on it... And for those saying that people aren't returning to gyms, I can tell you from personal experience that they are and that the data looks promising industry-wide after reopening. Being cooped up for months isn't good for mental or physical health, it turns out. We had a great month in June, one of our best ever for new signups... But keep in mind we are in BC, where things have been very good as far as the spread of the virus goes.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2010
1371 posts
1558 upvotes
Earth
2003fxdl wrote: I approach this with logic.
thanks, something many gov't ignore: Gym must be monitored, yet outdoor jungle gyms are 24/7 and not sanitized...
Zoomer: 1 account for family and planning to leave for good in 2023
Koodo too: for a phone and locked to 24 months but was a good deal.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2019
1939 posts
4993 upvotes
North York ON
bhrm wrote: Unlike other kinds of businesses, a good chunk of members will seriously doubt safety and may not renew memberships, and potential new members will take a haaaaard pass.
Totally anecdotal but for myself, I'd much rather work out away from home. It is hard to be pumped and motivated to work out by walking to the living room. Also any straight guy will relate to this: you work out way harder when there are hot women around. I've done personal bests after thinking I was done simply because some hottie is noticing.