• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2016 9:45 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jr. Member
May 18, 2008
183 posts
3 upvotes

groupon experiences?

Anyone here used groupon? I used it for one month unlimted mma class. I attended approx 3 xs a week and i noticed instructors don't like it. I noticed times the instructor would walk by and won't give you feedback on technique. I also noticed a less friendly vibe in the 3rd/4th week. I experienced hellos and a friendly vibe during the first 3 classes.
Anyone notice service drops with groupon use.
5 replies
Member
Apr 1, 2004
407 posts
246 upvotes
Richmond, BC
long time ago, same with restaurants
and usually they like to "remind" you to tip for price before groupon (which is quite annoy, considering the service is always worse than expected)

that's why I don't use groupon anymore except for starbucks giftcard deals

anyway, those places are already companies that don't have enough customers and need to bring people in
yet they treat people who use groupon like cheapskates (we are cheap, but it's important not to acknowledge it if a company wants our continual business after groupon)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 4, 2006
3652 posts
714 upvotes
jocyyu wrote: long time ago, same with restaurants
and usually they remind you to tip for price before groupon (which is quite annoy, considering the service is always worse than expected)

that's why I don't use groupon anymore except for starbucks giftcard deals
i think it's reasonable for them to remind you to tip on the full food value.

what i never understand is why they charge you tax on the full food value. When there's a 15% sale item at the mall, you dont' pay tax on the discount. When there's half price wings, you don't pay tax on the discount either.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4329 upvotes
poorwingman wrote: what i never understand is why they charge you tax on the full food value. When there's a 15% sale item at the mall, you dont' pay tax on the discount. When there's half price wings, you don't pay tax on the discount either.
OK, not defending Groupon at all (I'm of the opinion that if a new business sells them, that's fine, but if an established place starts selling them... they probably won't be around in a year) but here's my take on this.
I see Groupons as gift cards. Say I had a $100 gift card for Hudson's Bay, and I offered to sell it to you for $50. You pay me $50 in cash, I give you the card, and you take that $100 gift card over to the mall and find a $100 item (before tax). The cashier will ring it up, deduct the $100 value of the card... and charge you the balance of $13 HST (assuming you're in Ontario). The cashier will not charge you $6.50 (which would be the HST on a $50 purchase), despite the fact you only spent $50 to get the $100 item.

This is not the same situation as the sale you refer to. If Hudson's Bay puts that $100 item on sale for half off, of course you'd pay $50 plus $6.50 HST on it. Groupon is not the same thing.

I hope this clears things up for you. Don't think of Groupon as a discount coupon but think of it as a gift card.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 4, 2006
3652 posts
714 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: OK, not defending Groupon at all (I'm of the opinion that if a new business sells them, that's fine, but if an established place starts selling them... they probably won't be around in a year) but here's my take on this.
I see Groupons as gift cards. Say I had a $100 gift card for Hudson's Bay, and I offered to sell it to you for $50. You pay me $50 in cash, I give you the card, and you take that $100 gift card over to the mall and find a $100 item (before tax). The cashier will ring it up, deduct the $100 value of the card... and charge you the balance of $13 HST (assuming you're in Ontario). The cashier will not charge you $6.50 (which would be the HST on a $50 purchase), despite the fact you only spent $50 to get the $100 item.

This is not the same situation as the sale you refer to. If Hudson's Bay puts that $100 item on sale for half off, of course you'd pay $50 plus $6.50 HST on it. Groupon is not the same thing.

I hope this clears things up for you. Don't think of Groupon as a discount coupon but think of it as a gift card.
Then they should say explain it better. I can see your interpretation may work for Little Sheep's current group on offer: C$22 for C$40 cash value toward dinner buffet for four adults after 3 p.m. at Downtown (Dundas St.) location.

But it doesn't seem to apply to Healthy Gourmet's offer. This offer seems to be equivalent to a sale because it's offering a package for $49 and not a generic dollar value amount:
Choose Between Two Options
C$49 for a four-course Chinese dinner with wine for two, valid Monday–Friday (C$100 value)
C$99 for a four-course Chinese dinner with wine for four, valid Monday–Friday (C$200 value)
Each pair receives:

Two glasses of house wine
Choice of one family-style soup
Choice of a shared Peking duck or lobster, or broccoli beef with chicken wings, served family-style
Vegetable side
Fried rice or noodles
Dessert
Comes with 1lb. of lobster or a half duck for two; 2 lbs. of lobster or whole duck for four.

I can't find the text from a previous TravelZoo offer from Bardi's but essentially I ended up paying a lot more than I had expected to pay as well.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4329 upvotes
poorwingman wrote: This offer seems to be equivalent to a sale because it's offering a package for $49 and not a generic dollar value amount:
Choose Between Two Options
C$49 for a four-course Chinese dinner with wine for two, valid Monday–Friday (C$100 value)
C$99 for a four-course Chinese dinner with wine for four, valid Monday–Friday (C$200 value)
No, it's the same thing. Let me reword my hypothetical gift card deal the way that Chinese dinner was written....

"C$49 for a gift card for Hudson's Bay department store, valid Monday-Sunday (C$100 value)"

So again, you're paying me $49 for a $100 gift card. Which is like that dinner for 2 where you're paying $49 for a $100 value. You'll go to the restaurant, you're getting a $100 package, using a gift card (the groupon), and will be charged the tax on $100, not on the $49 you paid to get the card. If they didn't put "$100 value" on the deal, then you'd be right to expect to pay HST on $49.

I will say that is one of the biggest ripoffs on Groupon -- artificially inflated "value" on those multi-course meals. Who knows what kind of creative accounting is going on but I suspect the restaurant is pocketing some of that $13 HST.
Remember, some businesses that use Groupon really are desperate. You might be paying half price but the business only gets half of what you paid, Groupon gets the rest. So what's really happening is the business is selling stuff at 75% off! With this in mind, doesn't surprise me they inflate the "value" for the Groupons. That restaurant will get paid $25 for that supposedly $100 meal.

(then you have businesses who seem to be on Groupon all the time, meaning every customer they get is using one. Here's where you're certain that value is inflated way too much or they're selling some really bad product. I always check Yelp before buying a restaurant Groupon, often the places that oversell Groupons have the worst food and service. Remember "The Butchers" and that Marlon Pather scammer? Same thing.)

Top