• Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2015 10:40 pm
[OP]
May 7, 2015
101 posts
116 upvotes
Nepean, ON

Growing/pruning grape vines

I have a two or three-year old grape vine (I got from the store last year, so not sure if it was one or two years old then).
I did some trimming before it got warm, but I'm still not seeing any greenery. I'm afraid I may have killed the plant...any advice? Is it still too early to be concerned?
3 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3029 posts
1092 upvotes
artifaxiom wrote: I have a two or three-year old grape vine (I got from the store last year, so not sure if it was one or two years old then).
I did some trimming before it got warm, but I'm still not seeing any greenery. I'm afraid I may have killed the plant...any advice? Is it still too early to be concerned?
Have grown grapes before but not much luck so now we do berries. I pruned our raspberries early April and up until a couple of weeks ago not much green coming through. The weather hasn't been great so far but be patient I'd imagine they will green up. Aren't you supposed to pruner a bit earlier though? Don't thin pruning can kill them though.
[OP]
May 7, 2015
101 posts
116 upvotes
Nepean, ON
Yes, I do think I was a bit late in pruning (the snow was gone/disappearing by the time I got to them). I'll try waiting a little more since it is a bit chilly still this year, as you wrote. Maybe I should look into berries for future years too. I just liked the look of the vines, but grapes may be tougher than I thought.
Thanks for your input! I appreciate it!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2737 upvotes
ON
IIRC the vine at my parents' house is still dormant (I didn't look too closely, all I remember is brown. Definitely not full of leaves). You are probably okay yet.

I believe they also give it a fruit tree spike this time of year to help it get going.