Home & Garden

Is this grub or fungus or something else?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2021 4:50 pm
Tags:
Nov 18, 2008
784 posts
341 upvotes
Toronto

Is this grub or fungus or something else?

My lawn was kind of perfect 2 years ago. Then last year, suddenly it started to become really bad. I noticed it's not just me but the neighborhood in general.

I'm suspecting some grub issue as in these dead spots, I can remove the grass pretty easily with a shovel. But then based on my research, fungus issues look similar to the picture and I've never seen a racoon or skunk trying to turn the grass for food. The other thing is that in these dead spots, only weeds grow and nothing else.

This is what I'm planning to do this weekend to see if I can revive it. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
1. Cut
2. Dethatch
3. Aerate
3. Apply nematode - ordered these from Costco.ca
4. Apply top dressing
5. Seed & Water.

Before - 2 years ago:
After - Took this picture today
1 reply
Mar 14, 2008
632 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto
Not an expert, but I would guess chinch bugs.

We had a grub issue last year and the wildlife would dig holes in our backyard to get at them. Since you aren't experiencing this I would lean towards it being chinch bugs.

It might make sense to get a soil test done plus determine what's causing the issue prior to seeding. Without addressing the issue you'll probably end up with dead grass again by the end of the season (speaking from experience)

Not sure if you have taken a look, but I found this thread to be very informative - more-weeds-than-grass-what-do-2035454/238/

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)