• Apr 19th, 2021 8:26 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 7, 2013
8 posts
Westmount

gst/hst amendment

i have to amend my 2019 gst/hst return through revenu quebec and i wanted to know if anyone here has amended a return in which a gst refund was previously issued and now has tax due

it is my first time filing an amendment in my 10 years since i registered for gst/hst and want to make sure i don't have any issues.

i noticed recently that $20 000 of sales for Ontario customers were only rated 5% in my books rather than the 13% so my line 105 will be adjusted to include the extra $1600 . I also did not include $4200 of zero rated exports that were made on line 91 which i will now be adding.

Is it better to include this explanation in the amendment or do i just file the amendment and explain it if i am contacted ? i want to make sure i do not cause any issues for myself before mailing the amendment
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
5680 posts
609 upvotes
Markham
dellyz wrote: i have to amend my 2019 gst/hst return through revenu quebec and i wanted to know if anyone here has amended a return in which a gst refund was previously issued and now has tax due

it is my first time filing an amendment in my 10 years since i registered for gst/hst and want to make sure i don't have any issues.

i noticed recently that $20 000 of sales for Ontario customers were only rated 5% in my books rather than the 13% so my line 105 will be adjusted to include the extra $1600 . I also did not include $4200 of zero rated exports that were made on line 91 which i will now be adding.

Is it better to include this explanation in the amendment or do i just file the amendment and explain it if i am contacted ? i want to make sure i do not cause any issues for myself before mailing the amendment
how frequently do you file?
Oct 8, 2019
159 posts
94 upvotes
If it were me..personally, i would include a vague explanation and file the amendment (i.e. due to an oversight in how taxes were being captured during 2019 which has since been rectified, please process the below amendment)

And then include the line numbers being changed with a before, after and difference column to show them very clearly the changes being made.

I find hst adjustments may just result in a quick follow-up phonecall from CRA if nething. Never had an audit inquiry from doing this. But maybe i got lucky