• Jan 30th, 2009 7:03 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 9, 2008
352 posts
40 upvotes

The GST and PST will it ever go away?

I love American shopping because they don't get taxed. Why is the GST and PST still around, when you consider Canada has a solid credit hold on it's financial institutions, we have a surplus our natural resources with our GDP, among other things. Why are, we, as Canadians still be charged these stupid taxes? Where do they go again, I forget?

[IMG]http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7527/capturecs5.jpg[/IMG]

I spent 1 hour shopping for a [rfdlink=55]dell[/rfdlink] min 9 on [rfdlink=55]Dell's[/rfdlink] website. I want to buy this system for under $500.00 Canadian, but it's nearly impossible, if you want a decent netbook for intermediate use as as computer user. When I began customizing my system under my budget restraint, I kept thinking in the back of my head that extra $100 dollars almost in tax can go to a better customized system. I put in a 64gb solid state drive and 2gigs of ddr2 ram in the system, but the price went to $700.00 with tax (no shipping costs).

I was forced to lower my expectations and reduce the amount of hardware I got, because paying $700.00 for a netbook is out of the question. Finally when I came to a setup I liked, I came to a decent base price, but omg the tax.

$44.00 for PST
$28.00 for GST (rounded)

that's almost $80.00.

Can someone tell me why this tax is good for Canada and where does it go exactly? Tell me it goes to our infrastructure, health care, education, reserve, budget. It's enough that our pay cheques and a few other things are taxed, as well, with the GST and PST which are our bills. Why has the broken promises of killing one of these taxes, fallen through the cracks?

I feel like punching every Prime Minister and Finance Minister since 1980 right in the face. Add to the fact Canada has crooked, deceitful politician (case in point the current fiasco in Parliament hill), these taxes just piss me right off.
78 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
1324 posts
42 upvotes
Europe has VAT, Canada has GST. US has nothing. They also have government finances that are in horrible shape. The US is operating on a borrow now, pay later scheme which is unsustainable. Reading your post, I don't think you actually read any news and notice that even with our extra taxes, Canada will have a budget deficit for the next few years. The US is going from a large one to an astronomical one.

If you actually read economic articles, most economists believe the US will need to implement a system similar to VAT to avoid going bankrupt. So enjoy shopping there while it lasts.

If you don't want to pay tax, buy it used. Would you prefer if the tax was included in the price so you don't realize you're paying it?
Banned
Sep 18, 2008
696 posts
1 upvote
r00t_decision wrote: I love American shopping because they don't get taxed. Why is the GST and PST still around, when you consider Canada has a solid credit hold on it's financial institutions, we have a surplus our natural resources with our GDP, among other things. Why are, we, as Canadians still be charged these stupid taxes? Where do they go again, I forget?

I spent 1 hour shopping for a dell min 9 on Dell's website. I want to buy this system for under $500.00 Canadian, but it's nearly impossible, if you want a decent netbook for intermediate use as as computer user. When I began customizing my system under my budget restraint, I kept thinking in the back of my head that extra $100 dollars almost in tax can go to a better customized system. I put in a 64gb solid state drive and 2gigs of ddr2 ram in the system, but the price went to $700.00 with tax (no shipping costs).

I was forced to lower my expectations and reduce the amount of hardware I got, because paying $700.00 for a netbook is out of the question. Finally when I came to a setup I liked, I came to a decent base price, but omg the tax.

$44.00 for PST
$28.00 for GST (rounded)

that's almost $80.00.

Can someone tell me why this tax is good for Canada and where does it go exactly? Tell me it goes to our infrastructure, health care, education, reserve, budget. It's enough that our pay cheques and a few other things are taxed, as well, with the GST and PST which are our bills. Why has the broken promises of killing one of these taxes, fallen through the cracks?

I feel like punching every Prime Minister and Finance Minister since 1980 right in the face. Add to the fact Canada has crooked, deceitful politician (case in point the current fiasco in Parliament hill), these taxes just piss me right off.
Can you please tell me how canada is crooked.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44572 posts
5140 upvotes
Richmond Hill
First of all, United States DOES have tax, just state tax and not a national one, and it varies by state. Alberta doesn't have a provincial tax either, just for comparison.

United States has been running deficits for countless years, except perhaps the last couple years of Clinton. Regan, Bush Sr., and Bush Jr. have all been deficits. Canada has been in the red for some, but surplus for more years than red. Canada has always been more financially stable than those south of the border. The only reason why the States can still sustain while being in deficit every year is because of their international status and other countries lending them money.
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
120 upvotes
r00t_decision wrote: I love American shopping because they don't get taxed. Why is the GST and PST still around, when you consider Canada has a solid credit hold on it's financial institutions, we have a surplus our natural resources with our GDP, among other things. Why are, we, as Canadians still be charged these stupid taxes? Where do they go again, I forget?

I spent 1 hour shopping for a dell min 9 on Dell's website. I want to buy this system for under $500.00 Canadian, but it's nearly impossible, if you want a decent netbook for intermediate use as as computer user. When I began customizing my system under my budget restraint, I kept thinking in the back of my head that extra $100 dollars almost in tax can go to a better customized system. I put in a 64gb solid state drive and 2gigs of ddr2 ram in the system, but the price went to $700.00 with tax (no shipping costs).

$44.00 for PST
$28.00 for GST (rounded)

that's almost $80.00.

You might want to reread the rules for rounding numbers. It's actually closer to $70 than it is to $80.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2003
1739 posts
181 upvotes
COU
Personally, I would rather have higher excise taxes and lower income taxes. PST and GST penalize spending, while income tax penalizes working and saving.
Jan 21, 2007
289 posts
8 upvotes
This post is so ridiculous - clearly from a person who doesn't understand one bit how an economic system works. What a waste of a post. I understand that you don't want to pay taxes, NOBODY does, but please read some material before you start going crazy and saying WHY should we pay tax?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
5862 posts
260 upvotes
Vancouver
jukster wrote: This post is so ridiculous - clearly from a person who doesn't understand one bit how an economic system works. What a waste of a post. I understand that you don't want to pay taxes, NOBODY does, but please read some material before you start going crazy and saying WHY should we pay tax?
^^^
Agree
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8188 posts
624 upvotes
Scarborough
+ 1000

OP needs to do well in school ;)
jukster wrote: This post is so ridiculous - clearly from a person who doesn't understand one bit how an economic system works. What a waste of a post. I understand that you don't want to pay taxes, NOBODY does, but please read some material before you start going crazy and saying WHY should we pay tax?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6122 posts
987 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
I don't mind paying the GST, I just wish it came out of my paycheck like other taxes and I didn't have to do the (albeit easy) math at the cash register.
[OP]
Dec 9, 2008
352 posts
40 upvotes
spf1971 wrote: You might want to reread the rules for rounding numbers. It's actually closer to $70 than it is to $80.
I wasn't rounding out, I was saying it's near 80 dollars. Technically $2.00 is past $70 and it's almost close to $80. Of course, like most people in this thread, you never answered any of my questions.
ottawasportsfan2010 wrote: Can you please tell me how canada is crooked.
Well considering there were political investigations toward the Liberals a few years ago to back watering money to ad firms, the investigation into the RCMP a while ago, the Airbus incident, to name a few. I don't see how anyone in parliament is playing fair game. Unless you counter all the bickering after an election and a parliament coalition that stopped 2 months of bureaucratic government loathing progressive for this country.
I took economics at the highest levels in high school and university. I do pay attention to business news, economic articles, read the economist from time to time, and I am aware of politics. You clearly have nothing better to do with your time, other than to say stupid things. Furthermore, you only complained rather than try to help me or answer some of my questions.
Jon Lai wrote: First of all, United States DOES have tax, just state tax and not a national one, and it varies by state. Alberta doesn't have a provincial tax either, just for comparison.

United States has been running deficits for countless years, except perhaps the last couple years of Clinton. Regan, Bush Sr., and Bush Jr. have all been deficits. Canada has been in the red for some, but surplus for more years than red. Canada has always been more financially stable than those south of the border. The only reason why the States can still sustain while being in deficit every year is because of their international status and other countries lending them money.
Yes I know that. The US many be running deficits, but so do many other countries. The US also has a large reserve to help it. This critical point in time where they are, has been dealt before. In the 90's there was a big injection to help stabilize the economy to government backed surplus, just as they are doing now.

Canada has been financially stable because of good secure provisions in financial institutions, some good government expenditures, and tight budget balancing acts every year. Before Canada use to spend just like the states, but since that time, the governments that followed have all followed the same route to maintain a suitable balance in spending and budget balancing.
asmielia wrote: Europe has VAT, Canada has GST. US has nothing. They also have government finances that are in horrible shape. The US is operating on a borrow now, pay later scheme which is unsustainable. Reading your post, I don't think you actually read any news and notice that even with our extra taxes, Canada will have a budget deficit for the next few years. The US is going from a large one to an astronomical one.

If you actually read economic articles, most economists believe the US will need to implement a system similar to VAT to avoid going bankrupt. So enjoy shopping there while it lasts.

If you don't want to pay tax, buy it used. Would you prefer if the tax was included in the price so you don't realize you're paying it?
This is a better answer and much more helpful to a degree.

I do read the news and watch the times. If Economists were right about the future certainty, people would have guessed the massive recession we are in now some 17 months ago. In October and November economists were shocked by the downturn. Albeit this is a better answer, and thank you.

I don't want to get into an economic debate or political attrition, I just need some things made sense of. Even so, it's easy to criticize the US economic system, currently, because of the after math of it's downgraded economics scale.

You know in the circles, they say, there is nothing wrong with a deficit. If I remember clearly, an economist said once, having a deficit is vital to a healthy economy. Canada having a deficit is nothing wrong, but compared to where the deficit use to be, Canada is in good shape.

You may wonder why I'm complaining about, why we have these taxes. Well considering that the Canadian government has been discussing removing one of these taxes for many years, and the stringent, cost cutting measurements the Parliament has done for over a decade, you would think by now they would give tax payers a break. We can barely afford paying good and services, while being taxed on all our bills, purchases; I can't remember the last time we had a real tax break. I real honest to goodness tax break, perhaps I've forgotten.

About the US implementing a VAT system. Most people in the states don't even know where they are headed. Government neglect and poor policing have left a lot of notions out in the open. I suppose a system similar to Vat would be instituted, but, then again, like I said earlier, America has bounced from this type of recession before. I'm not sure that type of system will be put into place.

Now that's the last time I have to have a need to defend myself, for whatever reason, the absurdity of some of the posts. You will just be ignored and I prefer some reasonable, intellectual person to help me with my questions and concerns. Perhaps I should be more blunt: Ok I will. If you don't have anything good to say, just shut the hell up.
Banned
Sep 18, 2008
696 posts
1 upvote
Yes canada may not be perfect but not many countrys are.As with the states yes they don't pay as much tax but they aslo don't have health care like we do.
[OP]
Dec 9, 2008
352 posts
40 upvotes
ottawasportsfan2010 wrote: Yes canada may not be perfect but not many countrys are.As with the states yes they don't pay as much tax but they aslo don't have health care like we do.
That's no excuse though for the government not to be like it's suppose to be.
Riffer wrote: Personally, I would rather have higher excise taxes and lower income taxes. PST and GST penalize spending, while income tax penalizes working and saving.
You know from all the garbage people have said from this thread, this guy had the best point. PST and GST penalize spending and spending is what drives an economy.

Also I've gone through Juksters posting history, the guy is a dimwit. Other than selling his stuff, he never has anything useful to say.
Mar 6, 2006
151 posts
3 upvotes
Wow that much in PST. Why don't you buy from another province it will save you the PST.
The point about the US having no sales tax is wrong, most states do have there own sales tax. Over here on the wet coast its 7% across the border its 6%. They have no federal tax (neither did we before he who can't be named). But we do have a gst rebate that makes about 5000 dollars of yearly spending tax free (if you qualify).

As for government waste that's not just Canada, you can't find a country that doesn't waste money. I realize that doesn't make it right but ....

Finally it will never go away as governments need resources and a well that produces will never go away especially now that we've been acclimated to paying it.
I personally dislike consumption taxes as they are on after tax income which is small enough as it is.