Shopping Discussion

The GST and PST will it ever go away?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2009 7:03 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
120 upvotes
r00t_decision wrote: I wasn't rounding out, I was saying it's near 80 dollars. Technically $2.00 is past $70 and it's almost close to $80. Of course, like most people in this thread, you never answered any of my questions.
.
It's almost $100 or almost $0 using your broad comparison.
[OP]
Member
Dec 9, 2008
352 posts
40 upvotes
spf1971 wrote: It's almost $100 or almost $0 using your broad comparison.
I got your point, I ___ up.

Now, why don't you stick on topic.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
120 upvotes
r00t_decision wrote: Where do they go again, I forget?


Can someone tell me why this tax is good for Canada and where does it go exactly? Tell me it goes to our infrastructure, health care, education, reserve, budget. .


You want to know where the money goes?

1. Education
2. Health Care
3. Military
4. Police
5. Fire Fighting
6. Social Services (EI,Welfare, etc)
7. ETC....

I would rather you were just complaining about taxes rather than you have no idea where the tax money went.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 12, 2006
3713 posts
49 upvotes
No.
Ban Steve Downie from NHL
Self Proclaimed PYwner Late Miss. Masco:My Gramma is gooder than your typos Says GrammerNazi.
smitty9999 on saving power: nooB Powers on the PC just to post stfu.
board123:when challenged runs away as fast as it can, hide behind mommy.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27646 posts
7988 upvotes
r00t_decision wrote: I love American shopping because they don't get taxed. Why is the GST and PST still around, when you consider Canada has a solid credit hold on it's financial institutions, we have a surplus our natural resources with our GDP, among other things. Why are, we, as Canadians still be charged these stupid taxes?
Uh I dunno where you've been shopping but every state I've been to, I've been charged state sales tax on retail purchases. Not only that, in most states taxes vary by county or something--for example [sales] tax in Niagara Falls, NY is different from tax in another part of New York state. And sales tax isn't an even percentage, it's something stupid. Instead of 8% it's like 8.25% in one county and then 8.75% in another county.

As for our GST, it's better that we "see" the tax now and have a fixed percentage than have it built into the price as it was before, and have the percentage vary over a large range.

While Canadians do get "taxed more" than many other nations, USA being one of them, that's not to say we shouldn't have any taxes at all an that the sales taxes we pay are "stupid".

One-star thread IMO. Not for questioning taxes, but for being fairly ignorant to taxation in general. To answer the thread question though, no it will never go away. GST perhaps (but then they are just going to go back to hiding it in the price of goods/services) but PST? In Ontario at least? Never gonna happen.
[OP]
Member
Dec 9, 2008
352 posts
40 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: As for our GST, it's better that we "see" the tax now and have a fixed percentage than have it built into the price as it was before, and have the percentage vary over a large range.

While Canadians do get "taxed more" than many other nations, USA being one of them, that's not to say we shouldn't have any taxes at all an that the sales taxes we pay are "stupid".

One-star thread IMO. Not for questioning taxes, but for being fairly ignorant to taxation in general. To answer the thread question though, no it will never go away. GST perhaps (but then they are just going to go back to hiding it in the price of goods/services) but PST? In Ontario at least? Never gonna happen.
Never gonna happen? Sorry that's a little naive. Also it's been established that states already charge certain sales taxes, but the point is that Canadians get more than than most other nations. "Farily ignorant to taxation in general", I'm sorry, but perhaps you haven't read my counter responses and judging by the article it seems I have a good grasps of what I'm talking about. No offence but your post is a little naive. I'll admit that my first post wasn't worded well in some areas, as could have been. Which let some stupid trolls walk all over it. Besides, no, it will never go away. However, will it ever decrease in time, hopefully. The GST has been decreased, but the PST is just killer.

You want to know where the money goes?

1. Education
2. Health Care
3. Military
4. Police
5. Fire Fighting
6. Social Services (EI,Welfare, etc)
7. ETC....

I would rather you were just complaining about taxes rather than you have no idea where the tax money went.
I would rather see detailed expenses of how are taxes are used, but as a poster said earlier, it's put into one general reserve for whatever so the government can dip their hands inside. This is another story, but our taxes aren't spent appropriately or god forbid, into the pockets of some politicians. I think I have more of an idea where the money is going or where it goes, than you have an idea what it's used for.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 23, 2007
2488 posts
474 upvotes
Thornhill
tomtomtom wrote: Stop b!tching about it, American's pay for their own health care. What do you pay?
Pure pwnage. Loves it.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44551 posts
5116 upvotes
Richmond Hill
If you want to know how much is spent on what, pick up a copy of the federal/provincial budget. There are balance sheets available just like if you were a shareholder of any traded company.

Just like a limited company, all income is pooled, and expenses are extracted from the pool.
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
[OP]
Member
Dec 9, 2008
352 posts
40 upvotes
darksith31 wrote: Pure pwnage. Loves it.
I guess you share the same low level brain cells he does. What are you 15?
Jon Lai wrote: If you want to know how much is spent on what, pick up a copy of the federal/provincial budget. There are balance sheets available just like if you were a shareholder of any traded company.

Just like a limited company, all income is pooled, and expenses are extracted from the pool.
Thanks I'll look into that.

Anyway, the mod can lock this thread. The overwhelming stupidity per ratio to intelligent discussion in this thread is moot. It's sad that it resorted to this, because my intentions where only were well written out and the OP topic was hardly what you can whine about. `nuff said. I didn't exect this place to have trolls, like other forum boards, looks like their abound a plenty. Chalk it up for a new guy.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
120 upvotes
r00t_decision wrote: I would rather see detailed expenses of how are taxes are used, but as a poster said earlier, it's put into one general reserve for whatever so the government can dip their hands inside. This is another story, but our taxes aren't spent appropriately or god forbid, into the pockets of some politicians. I think I have more of an idea where the money is going or where it goes, than you have an idea what it's used for.
Here you go. Read up.

http://www.budget.gc.ca/2008/pamphlet-d ... t1-eng.asp
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 23, 2007
2488 posts
474 upvotes
Thornhill
r00t_decision wrote: I guess you share the same low level brain cells he does. What are you 15?
WOW. What's with all the attitude recently on RFD? I make one innocent joke and I get shafted? No thanks. Other people were more harsh on him and you let them slide. Whatever.

I'm actually 23, and hold an Undergraduate Honours Bachelor of Arts Degree from University of Toronto with a double major in Philosophy and Sociology, with a minor in Psychology. I also have a law clerk diploma from Seneca college, which I finished in 6 months. I am going to start my first year of law school at University of Toronto in downtown (couldn't start last year...family emergencies). I also volunteer at the Daily Bread Food Bank, as well as the Richmond Hill Probation and Parole Office, and the Toronto West Courthouse. Name me one 15 year old that has achieved ALL of that. Pure pwnage. Loves it.
[OP]
Member
Dec 9, 2008
352 posts
40 upvotes
darksith31 wrote: WOW. What's with all the attitude recently on RFD? I make one innocent joke and I get shafted? No thanks. Other people were more harsh on him and you let them slide. Whatever.

I'm actually 23, and hold an Undergraduate Honours Bachelor of Arts Degree from University of Toronto with a double major in Philosophy and Sociology, with a minor in Psychology. I also have a law clerk diploma from Seneca college, which I finished in 6 months. I am going to start my first year of law school at University of Toronto in downtown (couldn't start last year...family emergencies). I also volunteer at the Daily Bread Food Bank, as well as the Richmond Hill Probation and Parole Office, and the Toronto West Courthouse. Name me one 15 year old that has achieved ALL of that. Pure pwnage. Loves it.
And I'm the tooth fairy.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 21, 2006
649 posts
23 upvotes
Richmond
I wish we were allowed to vote 0 stars for a thread.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 23, 2007
2488 posts
474 upvotes
Thornhill
r00t_decision wrote: And I'm the tooth fairy.
Whatever. Tell me how old YOU are and what YOU'VE accomplished and I'll shut my piehole.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 22, 2006
1358 posts
497 upvotes
Toronto
economic 101

if you want infrastructures like public healthcare, education and pensions.. it doesnt come from nowhere.. it requires tax to pay for it

Top