Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6500 posts
2947 upvotes

GTA Coconut Charcoal Briquettes 4 Kg Bag $4

Deal Link:
Price:
$4
I saw this post on Kijiji this morning - Coconut charcoal briquettes. 4 Kg bag $4.

I tried the product (many years ago when someone posted on RFD that a grocery store on Jane Street in Toronto carried the product and I picked up a couple of bags to try).
The price is competitive with other brands -I found the main difference is that coconut charcoal burns very hot, low ash and you can get 2-3 cooks out of the same briquettes if you smother them vs good old Kingsford briquettes.
Here's a review I found:
http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2015/04 ... -charcoal/

Info from the advertisement:
Screen Shot 04-22-20 at 01.19 PM.PNG
CHARCOAL 4 KGS COCONUT NATURAL
PRICE $ 4.00 PER BAG

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/Bal-Trading-Lt ... 017745673/

BAL TRADING LIMITED
450 DENISON STREET
MARKHAM,ONTARIO ,CANADA

MAJOR INTERSECTION: VICTORIA PARK AVENUE & DENISON STREET

TEL :905 752 1144 ATTENTION : ARA BALOUZIAN
FAX:905 752 1145
HOURS: 9-5 MON- FRI
1-5 SAT
EMAIL:BALTRADING@ROGERS.COM

CASH AND CARRY
PAYMENT : CASH-VISA-MASTERCARD-DEBIT
8 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3478 posts
1515 upvotes
Ottawa
Nice scent from them at all? Lol. +1 for making me think of bbq
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6500 posts
2947 upvotes
shylok wrote: Nice scent from them at all? Lol. +1 for making me think of bbq
No scent at all - I wouldn't use them in a Kamado (lump is preferred) but I am going to try them in limited amounts mixed with regular briquettes and wood chunks in my bullet/water smoker
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
2784 posts
3835 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
That place looks familiar. Clicked thier website and I recognize it. It is at Denison & Victoria Park. As a matter of fact Victoria Park ends there. I always pass by there all the time so when I saw the webpage and the store front I knew it looked familar.

Never been inside before as I always thought it was some importing warehouse of goods but now I have a reason to check it out. Seeing as the charcoal runs hot I may have to split the briquettes in half then for my use as I use a Firebox Stove ( for the curious https://www.fireboxstove.com/5%E2%80%8B-g2-firebox ).
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12472 posts
7250 upvotes
Markham
thedealhunter2000 wrote: That place looks familiar. Clicked thier website and I recognize it. It is at Denison & Victoria Park. As a matter of fact Victoria Park ends there. I always pass by there all the time so when I saw the webpage and the store front I knew it looked familar.

Never been inside before as I always thought it was some importing warehouse of goods but now I have a reason to check it out. Seeing as the charcoal runs hot I may have to split the briquettes in half then for my use as I use a Firebox Stove ( for the curious https://www.fireboxstove.com/5%E2%80%8B-g2-firebox ).
I've been inside. The place is a like a hoarder's warehouse with crap everywhere - it's almost like going into a smaller version of that Closeout King Liquidators warehouse. Have no idea how these places operate.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Aug 18, 2013
237 posts
249 upvotes
Would the burning hot part be a disadvantage? I normally use briquettes in my smoker for the low heat... wonder if this will impart a new aroma to whatever food I smoke...despite the review saying low smoke....
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6500 posts
2947 upvotes
wchau85 wrote: Would the burning hot part be a disadvantage? I normally use briquettes in my smoker for the low heat... wonder if this will impart a new aroma to whatever food I smoke...despite the review saying low smoke....
I found them to have no aroma whatsoever - so not wonderful for cooking something where you want that "charcoal taste".
I figure if I mix a few of them with regular briquettes and wood chunks they will keep the regular charcoal briquettes burning (I often have an issue with my El Cheapo Brinkman heating up and maintaining heat despite all the mods I did) and I figure the water soaked hickory chunks that will smolder will impart the Hickory smoke flavour.
Jun 7, 2011
256 posts
218 upvotes
Orangeville
wchau85 wrote: Would the burning hot part be a disadvantage? I normally use briquettes in my smoker for the low heat... wonder if this will impart a new aroma to whatever food I smoke...despite the review saying low smoke....
Can probably just get away with using less when smoking. But the hot burning would be great for when I make marinated korean short ribs. Too bad I don't live near Markham.

I would imagine they wouldn't give off very much flavour. Just add some wood chunks.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
2784 posts
3835 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
gr8dlr wrote: I've been inside. The place is a like a hoarder's warehouse with crap everywhere - it's almost like going into a smaller version of that Closeout King Liquidators warehouse. Have no idea how these places operate.
Ahh...well never been to Closeout King before but have seen the commercials. I'm guessing it is like the store to the right of the Pickering Market/Antique Market? They take cash only or VISA??

Maybe in the summer but in the winter it will would help with some extra heat to while it's freezing outside.
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)