Home & Garden

[GTA] Dryer Vent Cleaning Recommendations

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2020 7:35 am
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 14, 2005
805 posts
579 upvotes
Toronto

[GTA] Dryer Vent Cleaning Recommendations

For the GTA:

Just wondering if anyone had any recent experiences and recommendations and how much you paid for the service.

Dryer is located on the second floor so the vent is probably out the side of the house or on the roof.
7 replies
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1918 posts
1151 upvotes
raxen wrote: For the GTA:

Just wondering if anyone had any recent experiences and recommendations and how much you paid for the service.

Dryer is located on the second floor so the vent is probably out the side of the house or on the roof.
I would hire a duct cleaning company to come do the entire house, as well as the dryer duct. Just make sure your dryer duct is rigid metal as opposed to plastic.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2003
1436 posts
375 upvotes
Ottawa
bizzyseller wrote: I would hire a duct cleaning company to come do the entire house, as well as the dryer duct. Just make sure your dryer duct is rigid metal as opposed to plastic.
How would one check if it’s metal or plastic? Do you mean the whole length of the duct or just the ends?
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1918 posts
1151 upvotes
oceans_end wrote: How would one check if it’s metal or plastic? Do you mean the whole length of the duct or just the ends?
The whole length would have to be rigid or else you would risk puncture with the high pressure air duct companies use.

Borescope, stick your arm/hand in, it may be exposed, etc.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 14, 2005
805 posts
579 upvotes
Toronto
My vent is too high for me to reach and I’m not comfortable in renting a 30’ ladder and doing it myself. Leaving it to the pros in this case instead of me falling off. I also can’t get at the duct from the laundry side due to tight clearances.

Called a few companies on Homestars and getting quotes around $200. Have no interest in whole house duct cleaning at this point.

-=phelan=- wrote: I bought this instead of paying someone to do it. Mine's on the 2nd floor and goes out the roof. Did the job very well for me.

https://www.amazon.ca/Deflecto-Dryer-Du ... 020&sr=8-5
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 21, 2008
4430 posts
1304 upvotes
West Side GTA
oceans_end wrote: Did you start from the outside or inside? I’m guessing it won’t matter as long as it covers the whole length?
Inside of course :) I'm not going to stand on my roof (2 stories here) if i don't have too.

Just make sure when you're doing it you take one rod at a time and have a shop vac ready as it starts coming down in big dust balls. When I first did it and went all the way to the roof vent hood, the top of my roof had this big lint bomb by the exhaust area so I knew I had gotten it all the way to the end. I now clean the dryer vent area every yr and get the same results almost every single time. GIves me peace of mind to know that it's all clean. Takes about 30mins for me from start to finish (setup + cleanup).

Top