GTA house market

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 7:43 pm
Tags:
Mar 16, 2006
276 posts
135 upvotes
Scarborough
Hp4041 wrote: might come across as ignorant - as i am not muslim - but cant you do another school + religious/other cultural education on the side? A lot of communities follow that usually....
I could but it was my sister's wish that her children continue in a religious school for as long as they can. For now, I'm exploring all options to avoid having to move them yet again. They've had a lot of changes in the last few years...moving here from the UK, their mum gettting sick, moving schools, their mum passing away in August of 2020, and now the possibility of moving schools or homes again...
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2021
1106 posts
2581 upvotes
molly123 wrote: I could but it was my sister's wish that her children continue in a religious school for as long as they can. For now, I'm exploring all options to avoid having to move them yet again. They've had a lot of changes in the last few years...moving here from the UK, their mum gettting sick, moving schools, their mum passing away in August of 2020, and now the possibility of moving schools or homes again...
I'm going to take the heat here as I simply don't care. I will also keep it short and don't wish to derail this thread. This is not to offend you, but to make you think.

Your sister is no longer living. Her children are alive and have a shot at a life, assimilation into the Canadian society and progress. You're not doing them a favor by upholding their mother's wishes in keeping them occupied with a 1400 year old rhetoric that is questionable in many ways. I'm of the same sect. I know it inside out. It's not for life in 2021 Canada.

That's all I will say. Sorry folks. Back to real estate.
Deal Expert
Feb 22, 2011
16504 posts
21843 upvotes
Toronto
None of the Whitby houses on my watch list have sold, wonder if they are all doing offer dates.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
2803 posts
2613 upvotes
YYZ
sircheersa wrote: None of the Whitby houses on my watch list have sold, wonder if they are all doing offer dates.
give me MLS numbers
Licensed Full Service Realtor
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
2803 posts
2613 upvotes
YYZ
sircheersa wrote: E5090338
E5090168
E5089615
E5089542
E5089505
1- offers today
2- offers 26
3- offers yesterday probably waiting for deposit or they just haven't updated it yet
4- same as 3
5- offers on 27

you'll probably see 3/4 update today/ tomorrow
Licensed Full Service Realtor
Deal Expert
Feb 22, 2011
16504 posts
21843 upvotes
Toronto
bLuPhYrE wrote: 1- offers today
2- offers 26
3- offers yesterday probably waiting for deposit or they just haven't updated it yet
4- same as 3
5- offers on 27

you'll probably see 3/4 update today/ tomorrow
wow thanks, this will be an interesting week to see what they go for. Market has been red hot but these are quite a diverse bunch. I honestly can't even guess what they would go for. The market is so bizarre because semis/towns been selling like crazy but a nice house (E5080905) asking $950k can't sell.
May 10, 2020
928 posts
1228 upvotes
synthetic1 wrote: I'm going to take the heat here as I simply don't care. I will also keep it short and don't wish to derail this thread. This is not to offend you, but to make you think.

Your sister is no longer living. Her children are alive and have a shot at a life, assimilation into the Canadian society and progress. You're not doing them a favor by upholding their mother's wishes in keeping them occupied with a 1400 year old rhetoric that is questionable in many ways. I'm of the same sect. I know it inside out. It's not for life in 2021 Canada.

That's all I will say. Sorry folks. Back to real estate.
I am not Muslim - I don't know the sects/nuances and all that. But I think that's insensitive. She's just seeking potential solutions tbh. I don't have one and neither do you but perhaps a little more empathy would be good. There's a pandemic going on. The mother passed away. The sister is doing her best. She's not even trying to make a case for religion/her sect or anything. Anyway, I hope something works out for her.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2020
4224 posts
5534 upvotes
RichmondCA wrote: Commuting has been glorious the last few months. 150ish on the 407, and 135ish down 404 and 120-130 on dvp. The good old days are back.
I was in middle lane once doing 140 on 407, 8am. Pre covid. Bunch of us pacing in middle.

Lady goes by not super fast but must've been pretty close to 150. Suddenly a bike cop was beside her (imagine how fast the bike was going... to catch her and we all didn't even see him or her coming!?!?).

All the cop did was wave his hand at her to "settle down". Then he ripped up the off ramp to north 404. I'm sure she had quite the scare when she noticed the bike beside her.
May 28, 2012
686 posts
693 upvotes
ONT
sircheersa wrote: Wow thanks, this will be an interesting week to see what they go for. Market has been red hot but these are quite a diverse bunch. I honestly can't even guess what they would go for. The market is so bizarre because semis/towns been selling like crazy but a nice house (E5080905) asking $950k can't sell.
What would you do, list now or wait? Retired senior citizens living in Brooklin needing to downsize for medical reasons to condo apartment. Own a 3 bed/3 bath detached, a similar house sold 2 weeks ago for $855K and 1 DOM. Will our house be worth more or less in 3 months if we wait? Will it take longer to sell if we wait?

We hope to move to a Whitby condo complex that has no 2/2 units for sale at the moment. This complex had 16 units sold last 12 months, can we expect similar number in 2021?
Deal Expert
Feb 22, 2011
16504 posts
21843 upvotes
Toronto
mrct1944 wrote: What would you do, list now or wait? Retired senior citizens living in Brooklin needing to downsize for medical reasons to condo apartment. Own a 3 bed/3 bath detached, a similar house sold 2 weeks ago for $855K and 1 DOM. Will our house be worth more or less in 3 months if we wait? Will it take longer to sell if we wait?

We hope to move to a Whitby condo complex that has no 2/2 units for sale at the moment. This complex had 16 units sold last 12 months, can we expect similar number in 2021?
No one knows what is best. If it were me personally I would list asap while prices are hot, there is no guarantee that they will stay high. I personally wouldn't be worried about condo prices in Whitby going too high as they are pretty low demand.

That said there is risk one doesn't come up in time and you have to move twice, possible once to a short term accommodation which isn't ideal.

There is also risk that house prices keep going up and condo prices go up too.

I'm not a realtor though, you might get better advice from someone who has more experience in these situations.

To add further I think it's a risk question. Would you rather risk making less on the sale or would you rather be certain you secure the condo first.
Last edited by sircheersa on Jan 25th, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2020
1438 posts
2076 upvotes
molly123 wrote: I could but it was my sister's wish that her children continue in a religious school for as long as they can. For now, I'm exploring all options to avoid having to move them yet again. They've had a lot of changes in the last few years...moving here from the UK, their mum gettting sick, moving schools, their mum passing away in August of 2020, and now the possibility of moving schools or homes again...
I am very sorry for your loss. I just wanted to pass along some services for children who have experienced loss. Even though there is a stay at home order most of these services are still accessible and considered as part of critical services. Some are covered and you would not have to pay for it. I understand it was your sisters wish but with the help of a professional you may be able to see more about what the kids want and see if that may change where you choose to move. Often kids have certain feelings that they don't always share but by working with a neutral person they feel more comfortable expressing themselves, and their wishes. All of this change is a lot for kids to handle, and sometimes they need someone to talk to.

https://www.opencounseling.com/canada/t ... tal-health

https://drjaychildrensgriefcentre.ca/pr ... unselling/

https://www.bfotoronto.ca/contact/

https://www.torontocentralhealthline.ca ... carborough
Jan 15, 2013
459 posts
466 upvotes
These went for well over what I thought especially the first one on Pinegrove as Pinegrove is not a desirable street compared to Willis although the lot is slightly bigger on Pinegrove. These are both going to be torn down and with the cost of materials and build gone up, they will be in for at least $1m to build meaning they will need to sell for mid to high $2m to make it worthwhile. Might be doable in a year or two. This house sold on Pinegrove for $2.2m a couple of weeks ago. Most expensive house to sell on Willis was under $2.3m but that was last year but that was a bigger house on a bigger lot.

The house that just sold on 60x125 lot will be allowed to build 3075 sq ft (without variances).

https://housesigma.com/app/en/listing/1DBW7RDRM1AYqlAp

It is a good area but still a 10 minute+ walk to the lake
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2010
1625 posts
3387 upvotes
GTA
zsj495 wrote: These went for well over what I thought especially the first one on Pinegrove as Pinegrove is not a desirable street compared to Willis although the lot is slightly bigger on Pinegrove. These are both going to be torn down and with the cost of materials and build gone up, they will be in for at least $1m to build meaning they will need to sell for mid to high $2m to make it worthwhile. Might be doable in a year or two. This house sold on Pinegrove for $2.2m a couple of weeks ago. Most expensive house to sell on Willis was under $2.3m but that was last year but that was a bigger house on a bigger lot.

The house that just sold on 60x125 lot will be allowed to build 3075 sq ft (without variances).

https://housesigma.com/app/en/listing/1DBW7RDRM1AYqlAp

It is a good area but still a 10 minute+ walk to the lake
Wow the interior of that house is so nice. I love the total marble first floor.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2010
1625 posts
3387 upvotes
GTA
lolbeast wrote: Wow the interior of that house is so nice. I love the total marble first floor.
I’m a big sucker for marble. Anyone know roughly how much it’s cost to redo our entire first floor like that? Roughly 2000sq ft
Jan 15, 2013
459 posts
466 upvotes
It’s not marble. It’s polished porcelain which you can get for $2-$4 per square foot plus labour for installation.

This house actually had a harder time selling because of the tile IMO.

Most people (including myself) would rather have hardwood everywhere as tiles gives the house a “cold” feel. They put it on the entire main floor including office, living room, dining room, family room etc. most people would want hardwood in these areas especially.

Everyone has their own preference I guess but this is the only house I have seen in the area that decided to tile the entire main floor.
lolbeast wrote: Wow the interior of that house is so nice. I love the total marble first floor.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)