Real Estate

GTA January End-Month data

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2021 7:26 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2017
1366 posts
1156 upvotes

GTA January End-Month data

Looks like condos stabilized and prices are not falling anymore. Still cheaper than a year ago.

44 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
11548 posts
14814 upvotes
Toronto
Durham up 34% YoY? Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Months of inventory 0.69, will keep pressure up.

But as always with this realtor this data is premature. A lot of sales haven't even updated yet which is why it's better to wait for the full report.

I think $1.581 for Toronto detached would be a new all time high? Last peak was April 2017 at $1,578,542.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2017
1366 posts
1156 upvotes
sircheersa wrote: Durham up 34% YoY? Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Months of inventory 0.69, will keep pressure up.

But as always with this realtor this data is premature. A lot of sales haven't even updated yet which is why it's better to wait for the full report.

I think $1.581 for Toronto detached would be a new all time high? Last peak was April 2017 at $1,578,542.
it is full data with minimal divergence to TRREB Market Watch.
Listings that are updated after Feb 1st to firm sale state usually go into Feb reports, not January.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
3966 posts
4375 upvotes
Toronto
someone should tell this guy to smile in his pics and not look like he's about to rip a fart....

otherwise his charts are good....
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
11548 posts
14814 upvotes
Toronto
GalvToronto wrote: it is full data with minimal divergence to TRREB Market Watch.
Listings that are updated after Feb 1st to firm sale state usually go into Feb reports, not January.
Really? Then why does it take TREB so long to make such a simple report?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2017
1366 posts
1156 upvotes
sircheersa wrote: Really? Then why does it take TREB so long to make such a simple report?
You're living in Canada (c)
It takes 6 months to give you a visa, 10 weeks to print a marriage certificate for you
Member
Sep 25, 2009
475 posts
387 upvotes
Supply & Demand + record low interest rates, very simple.

Spring is gonna be wild for burb detaches.
Sr. Member
Jul 7, 2019
745 posts
619 upvotes
C01 and C08 still getting killed.
Was hoping to see some green MoM.
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
11548 posts
14814 upvotes
Toronto
light2 wrote: Supply & Demand + record low interest rates, very simple.

Spring is gonna be wild for burb detaches.
Spring will be very interesting. And I don't think governments intervene like they did in 2017 for two reasons.

Rent and condos are down so there is no affordability crisis at the bottom of the market.

They need tax revenue, badly.
Member
Sep 25, 2009
475 posts
387 upvotes
sircheersa wrote: Spring will be very interesting. And I don't think governments intervene like they did in 2017 for two reasons.

Rent and condos are down so there is no affordability crisis at the bottom of the market.

They need tax revenue, badly.
Anytime the government has intervened there were negative side effects. When 2017 policies happened with the stress test, it catapulted entry level homes (condos, towns). This built up huge pent up demand for detach market, which is now in full swing.

For real-estate policies, government is better off regulating/transparency of Realtors than to implement pricing policies. Just my 2Cents.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
3966 posts
4375 upvotes
Toronto
sircheersa wrote: Spring will be very interesting. And I don't think governments intervene like they did in 2017 for two reasons.

Rent and condos are down so there is no affordability crisis at the bottom of the market.

They need tax revenue, badly.
there was a good real estate show on 1010 am last night.....lots of talk about how bad the double LTT is in toronto and agents hate it....

it is killing inventory and transactions, people are not moving when it costs them $100k just to sell and buy a house.....

might as well put on another story and spend it on your house ......
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2017
1366 posts
1156 upvotes
light2 wrote: Anytime the government has intervened there were negative side effects. When 2017 policies happened with the stress test, it catapulted entry level homes (condos, towns). This built up huge pent up demand for detach market, which is now in full swing.

For real-estate policies, government is better off regulating/transparency of Realtors than to implement pricing policies. Just my 2Cents.
Also it is hard to deny the policies of 2017 provided an additional safety buffer to the market downside risks. In other words, some price gains were transformed into eliminating downside risks.
Today we have a new wave of price gains and virtually no downside risks because they were eliminated back then.
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
11548 posts
14814 upvotes
Toronto
joepipe wrote: there was a good real estate show on 1010 am last night.....lots of talk about how bad the double LTT is in toronto and agents hate it....

it is killing inventory and transactions, people are not moving when it costs them $100k just to sell and buy a house.....

might as well put on another story and spend it on your house ......
Yes exactly it's insane. The cost to move is such a massive deterrent.
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
11548 posts
14814 upvotes
Toronto
GalvToronto wrote: Also it is hard to deny the policies of 2017 provided an additional safety buffer to the market downside risks. In other words, some price gains were transformed into eliminating downside risks.
Today we have a new wave of price gains and virtually no downside risks because they were eliminated back then.
Yes people who were very happy about the 2017 dip completely ignored this fact. It added a lot of security to the market going forward.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2017
1366 posts
1156 upvotes
January 8th and still no official TREB Market Watch data :)
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
11548 posts
14814 upvotes
Toronto
GalvToronto wrote: January 8th and still no official TREB Market Watch data :)
They're really milking the attention for this big report to drop.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
8394 posts
928 upvotes
Durham Inventory increased by 94% month over month. This means the market will be flooded by units soon and a crash is imminent. /s
October 2015 for sale, PM for details!
PS3 EA Sports Active 2 $20
195-65-15 Winter tire with alloy wheel $500
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
8394 posts
928 upvotes
GalvToronto wrote: Also it is hard to deny the policies of 2017 provided an additional safety buffer to the market downside risks. In other words, some price gains were transformed into eliminating downside risks.
Today we have a new wave of price gains and virtually no downside risks because they were eliminated back then.
The government can always eliminate/reduce/restrict the capital gain exemption so real estate will no longer be a tax free investment that can be easily leveraged.

Will they?
October 2015 for sale, PM for details!
PS3 EA Sports Active 2 $20
195-65-15 Winter tire with alloy wheel $500
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12344 posts
11187 upvotes
elty wrote: Durham Inventory increased by 94% month over month. This means the market will be flooded by units soon and a crash is imminent. /s
wtf is inventory really up 94% or pulling our leg? I've noticed inventory has definitely moved up swiftly in pockets i pay attention to. 94% seems steep tho lol

Top