• Last Updated:
  • Jul 27th, 2020 1:04 pm
[OP]
May 6, 2006
356 posts
423 upvotes
Brampton

GTA Lumber and Drywall Suppliers

I'm considering finishing the basement and want people's opinion on who provides the best quality for 1/2" drywall and lumber. Quantities are large for example 225 studs (2"x4" x 8') so price is a factor too. From what I've seen individual pieces of 2x4 at big box stores are not the greatest. I'm worried the poor associate to gather that much lumber will spend zero time to picking straight pieces and I'll end up with discarded terrible pieces.
3 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11739 posts
6928 upvotes
Paris
gwn wrote: I'm considering finishing the basement and want people's opinion on who provides the best quality for 1/2" drywall and lumber. Quantities are large for example 225 studs (2"x4" x 8') so price is a factor too. From what I've seen individual pieces of 2x4 at big box stores are not the greatest. I'm worried the poor associate to gather that much lumber will spend zero time to picking straight pieces and I'll end up with discarded terrible pieces.
I think right now you will have an issue getting any of this stuff from anywhere.

Lowes has frequent sales on drywall and I know contractors who buy trucks of it when they do.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1960 posts
1695 upvotes
GTA
gwn wrote: I'm worried the poor associate to gather that much lumber will spend zero time to picking straight pieces and I'll end up with discarded terrible pieces.
Given how much you are going to order, you're going to experience this no matter where you order from. Order extra and return what you don't use.

Also, have you considered steel studs?
Sep 19, 2014
488 posts
254 upvotes
Markham, ON
gwn wrote: I'm considering finishing the basement and want people's opinion on who provides the best quality for 1/2" drywall and lumber. Quantities are large for example 225 studs (2"x4" x 8') so price is a factor too. From what I've seen individual pieces of 2x4 at big box stores are not the greatest. I'm worried the poor associate to gather that much lumber will spend zero time to picking straight pieces and I'll end up with discarded terrible pieces.
225 studs aren't that much...I think they are $4 a stick so $900 total.

If you get a new pallet nicely wrapped most of them will be good regardless of where you buy them.
most 2x4 only get horribly twisted and warped when in a loose bundle and they are allowed to move around.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)