Off Topic

GTA: are people are behaving poorly on the road during covid-19?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2020 10:04 pm
[OP]
Mar 6, 2014
697 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto

GTA: are people are behaving poorly on the road during covid-19?

I started to notice this more and more, but it began around March or April when covid-19 started in Toronto.

People just drive really fast and have next to no respect for other drivers. Back then the media reported this and pinned it on that fact that there were not many cars on the road, so people started racing.

6 months later, I actually feel there are more cars on the road than pre-covid because everyone is afraid of taking public transit, but the driving is actually getting worst. I'm not a slow driver by any means, but is there really a reason to cut me off to pull into a strip mall when there are no cars behind me? Can't people just let off the gas pedal and pass from behind me when it is safe, instead of having me hard brake for you? On the 401, how many seconds do you save by cutting through traffic on the emergency shoulder? I see this every time I'm on the 401.

My theory is that all of the safe drivers that signals for at least 3 seconds before changing lanes, hold their steering wheels with two hands at 9 and 3 o'clock and yield for other drivers are AT HOME, afraid of getting covid-19. What you are left with are the rest of the people, the same people who would cut you off because he or she doesn't give a f**k about anyone., who are the same people who doesn't care if they get covid-19 and pass it onto their elderly parents, friends and relatives.

Another theory is that 2020 has been a difficult year and people just don't have a lot of patience or courtesy for anything.

Whatever it is, this needs to stop.
47 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13548 posts
8513 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
buy 1 or 2 dashcam, thank me later.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9322 posts
1731 upvotes
Toronto
If anything the pressures related to and surrounding covid 19 have brought out who we really are.
You can only suppress so much.
It ain't pretty but it's who we are.
[OP]
Mar 6, 2014
697 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
Cheapo-Findo wrote: buy 1 or 2 dashcam, thank me later.
I'm seriously thinking of buying one. Before I would see some crazy stuff on the road once in a while now I see it everyday.

I was on the 401 a few weeks ago, I was late for an appointment so I was already driving a bit faster than usual (in a safe manner of course), I look at my rear view mirror and I saw this car that was so close to me, I couldn't see his headlights or front grill... I could only see the front hood! What is this, NASCAR? Am I on a race track? Even on track day, you won't see people drive like that on Mosport.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5189 posts
1972 upvotes
Toronto
I don't think this is new, at least not in the GTA. I think what's happening is that we are seeing a return to normal after a few months of light traffic. I don't think many people are deliberately avoiding going out any more - maybe not for a joyride, but I feel like now most people are going to the store if they want to get something from the store. People have always cut each other off and driven selfishly. We're just seeing survival-of-the-craziest Toronto coming back after a few months of a (relative) ghost town, and we're not used to it anymore.
[OP]
Mar 6, 2014
697 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
Manatus wrote: I don't think this is new, at least not in the GTA. I think what's happening is that we are seeing a return to normal after a few months of light traffic. I don't think many people are deliberately avoiding going out any more - maybe not for a joyride, but I feel like now most people are going to the store if they want to get something from the store. People have always cut each other off and driven selfishly. We're just seeing survival-of-the-craziest Toronto coming back after a few months of a (relative) ghost town, and we're not used to it anymore.
That could be true. GTA driving has always been bad. Maybe I used to drive a lot more and I was desensitized to the chaos.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13548 posts
8513 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
thinking??? JUST DO IT man!
Statistics101 wrote: I'm seriously thinking of buying one. Before I would see some crazy stuff on the road once in a while now I see it everyday.

I was on the 401 a few weeks ago, I was late for an appointment so I was already driving a bit faster than usual (in a safe manner of course), I look at my rear view mirror and I saw this car that was so close to me, I couldn't see his headlights or front grill... I could only see the front hood! What is this, NASCAR? Am I on a race track? Even on track day, you won't see people drive like that on Mosport.

Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8278 posts
2880 upvotes
Mississauga
On the 427 northbound, between 407 and 7, it's reduced to two lanes and is usually quite backed up during after work hours.

Two lanes to the left are blocked off with the black/orange striped construction pylons because that's the side that construction is working on further down. Yet you have idiots who think they are more important than everyone else, dart into that side and storm all the way down and cutting back into the highway.

It boggles my mind that people would let these jacka$$es back into the lane. Never in a million years would I yield to such low lifes.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
8983 posts
2574 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
Statistics101 wrote: I'm not a slow driver by any means, but is there really a reason to cut me off to pull into a strip mall when there are no cars behind me? Can't people just let off the gas pedal and pass from behind me when it is safe, instead of having me hard brake for you? On the 401, how many seconds do you save by cutting through traffic on the emergency shoulder? I see this every time I'm on the 401.

My theory is that all of the safe drivers ... are AT HOME,

What you are left with are the rest of the people, the same people who would cut you off because he or she doesn't give a f**k about anyone., who are the same people who doesn't care if they get covid-19 and pass it onto their elderly parents, friends and relatives.
So if you are out driving, are you in the first group or the second group? :)
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

“Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
[OP]
Mar 6, 2014
697 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
kenchau wrote: On the 427 northbound, between 407 and 7, it's reduced to two lanes and is usually quite backed up during after work hours.

Two lanes to the left are blocked off with the black/orange striped construction pylons because that's the side that construction is working on further down. Yet you have idiots who think they are more important than everyone else, dart into that side and storm all the way down and cutting back into the highway.

It boggles my mind that people would let these jacka$$es back into the lane. Never in a million years would I yield to such low lifes.
It was pre-covid, but I have seen people gone in a shouting match from something just like this. People cut lanes like that all the time, the worst is the fork south bound 404, going towards the 401. You ALWAYS see people who wants to cut into the 401 lane at the very last second because the 401 lanes are usually backed up.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13548 posts
8513 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
either that or just plug into cig.
Statistics101 wrote: Thanks, looks like a good deal for front and rear combo.

Is it a DIY installation? Pull power from the fuse box or cigarette lighter? I'm not that handy.

Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8278 posts
2880 upvotes
Mississauga
Statistics101 wrote: It was pre-covid, but I have seen people gone in a shouting match from something just like this. People cut lanes like that all the time, the worst is the fork south bound 404, going towards the 401. You ALWAYS see people who wants to cut into the 401 lane at the very last second because the 401 lanes are usually backed up.
I don't care as much if people are lane cutting from another valid driving lane. Like if people want to go into a merge lane that doesn't end for 500m, feel free - it's a driving lane.

But to drive into what has been sectioned off as a construction zone, that was a first to see on Wednesday, That's just illustrative of society going to yet another new low. And worst is when others follow. One person does it, then you can see other drivers start peering their head over there, humming and hahhing about whether they should follow suit. Of course, there are some that do. I would say they are even worse than the first person that did it.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
4780 posts
1121 upvotes
Abbottabad
401 east/west between Milton And Mississauga. They are widening the highway so they’ve gotten rid of the shoulders. 18 kilometers of a bloody mess of a road if one little car breaks down. But hey, should be completed by 2022.