Real Estate

GTA Real Estate Prices to soar even higher when the Blue Jays win the World Series!?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 3rd, 2015 9:41 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3855 posts
1260 upvotes
Toronto

GTA Real Estate Prices to soar even higher when the Blue Jays win the World Series!?

This thought just occurred to me after last night's game.

There seems to be no limit (tongue in cheek comment) when it comes to GTA RE pricing, and any little "perk" to living in the GTA results in a ridiculous boost in housing.

If the Jays win the World Series this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see another big climb in prices... people wanting to live in a "winning" city.
25 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9611 posts
8984 upvotes
Markham
It's gonna climb regardless. BoC probably gonna drop rates soon. Then everyone's gonna pull their cash out of their mattresses and stocks to buy homes. Nothing beats 1.65% mortgage finance and a tanking stock market.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5637 posts
3397 upvotes
Is this thread for real?

Besides, Toronto prices have been failing month over month since May.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3855 posts
1260 upvotes
Toronto
fdl wrote: Is this thread for real?

Besides, Toronto prices have been failing month over month since May.
That's a typical trend for GTA RE.... there's always a decline after the spring market leading into the summer. And usually has a bit of a peak during September and tapering off again in October before the winter. This is nothing new.

You're better off looking at year over year, which I believe is still up for the GTA compared to last year, this time.
Jan 30, 2006
859 posts
287 upvotes
I think prices will double because of that
Chinese people, who are the main driver of RE prices, really care about baseball

some of them even know this is sport and maybe 2 or 3 know it involves ball and stick

so definitely extreme price appreciation is guaranteed
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5637 posts
3397 upvotes
Repooc wrote: That's a typical trend for GTA RE.... there's always a decline after the spring market leading into the summer. And usually has a bit of a peak during September and tapering off again in October before the winter. This is nothing new.

You're better off looking at year over year, which I believe is still up for the GTA compared to last year, this time.
Sure, but where is the correlation to jays winning streak lol.

Maybe you are on to something. Was there a bump in RE prices when Tulo and Price arrived. Hmmm.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7347 posts
740 upvotes
Toronto
Steep decline if Price signs in NY/BOS/CHI/LA in the off season.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9611 posts
8984 upvotes
Markham
frogger wrote: Steep decline if Price signs in NY/BOS/CHI/LA in the off season.
It is all about money. If the Jays *Rogers* are willing to shell out $30mil / 7 years, then he'll stay. Someone's gonna offer that. But then again, $30mil / 7 years is $40mil CAD / 7 years. Rogers is way too cheap for this.

Enjoy while it lasts, Price has almost no chances of signing here when NYY knock on the door with $32 mil / 7 years after they realize that CC cannot pitch himself out of a room.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1969 posts
948 upvotes
Repooc wrote: This thought just occurred to me after last night's game.

There seems to be no limit (tongue in cheek comment) when it comes to GTA RE pricing, and any little "perk" to living in the GTA results in a ridiculous boost in housing.

If the Jays win the World Series this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see another big climb in prices... people wanting to live in a "winning" city.
To the moon!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7347 posts
740 upvotes
Toronto
Anikiri wrote: It is all about money. If the Jays *Rogers* are willing to shell out $30mil / 7 years, then he'll stay. Someone's gonna offer that. But then again, $30mil / 7 years is $40mil CAD / 7 years. Rogers is way too cheap for this.

Enjoy while it lasts, Price has almost no chances of signing here when NYY knock on the door with $32 mil / 7 years after they realize that CC cannot pitch himself out of a room.
Sell 700,000 less tickets than they could have for the season and playoffs and back to the dark ages in a few years when other FA depart.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9611 posts
8984 upvotes
Markham
frogger wrote: Sell 700,000 less tickets than they could have for the season and playoffs and back to the dark ages in a few years when other FA depart.
Each of the 700 000 ticket holders will need to spend $57 to break even at Price's cost @ $30 mil USD / $40 mil CAD.

Not saying I don't want Price. Heck this guy is electric. But seriously you think Rogers is gonna fork that over? They couldn't even do Ervin Santana for $16 mil for 2 years.
Sep 7, 2009
684 posts
275 upvotes
The last time the Blue Jays won the World Series was in the early 90's. Take a look to see what happened to GTA real estate prices during that decade.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7347 posts
740 upvotes
Toronto
Anikiri wrote: Each of the 700 000 ticket holders will need to spend $57 to break even at Price's cost @ $30 mil USD / $40 mil CAD.

Not saying I don't want Price. Heck this guy is electric. But seriously you think Rogers is gonna fork that over? They couldn't even do Ervin Santana for $16 mil for 2 years.
You still have to pay someone to pitch in his place though.. A decent top 3 in the rotation starter going rate has got to be around 15 million per these days unless you get lucky with youth. I agree though, I would be shocked if Rogers paid anyone as much as 24 million a year for 5 years, let alone what it takes to retain Price. Anyways, everyone should enjoy this season for what it is as hopefully there is not too large a drop off next season and they can still contend for a wild card spot at least.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5637 posts
3397 upvotes
Really depends on how much rogers think he adds to TV revenue. Ratings have been through the roof.

Personally I'm worried about what that contract will look like in year 5,6,7
Banned
Aug 24, 2015
22 posts
25 upvotes
North York, ON
Anikiri wrote: It's gonna climb regardless.
Toronto is the most significant city in North America - just like Hong Kong is Asia's world city. Also, since Toronto was built on a series of small mountainous island, land continues to be extremely scarce. Third, while Canadians might be the most indebted people in the world after Greece, unlike Greece, we have booming resource based economy (oil and metal prices are excellently priced and rising) and our economy is technically (but only technically) in a technical recession - but I don't want to get too technical about that.

Not a house of cards build on record low interest rates and astronomical debt - not at all. I cant see how this can possibly end! To the moon!
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9611 posts
8984 upvotes
Markham
fdl wrote: Really depends on how much rogers think he adds to TV revenue. Ratings have been through the roof.

Personally I'm worried about what that contract will look like in year 5,6,7
Not our money. Well.. I guess it is.. since I use some of their services. But we're a top 4 market that spends barely like a top10 market. We are probably closer to a top3 market if you consider Canada as a whole to be The Jays turf.

Places like Dallas, Philly, and Detroit are outspending us by >20%.

Rogers is a terrible owner who isn't willing to spend. Just think about it this way. How much money would Rogers have had to give up if they wanted to purchase TV and Broadcast rights for the Jays. But since they own the Jays... they don't have to pay a cent. Yet this money isn't filtering into the payroll.

We should be spending around $160 to $180 mil every year assuming the fanbase numbers. Considering that the Dodgers are spending 300 mil (lolz), we cannot even do half of that. Sad ownership.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9611 posts
8984 upvotes
Markham
Firethemall wrote: Toronto is the most significant city in North America - just like Hong Kong is Asia's world city. Also, since Toronto was built on a series of small mountainous island, land continues to be extremely scarce. Third, while Canadians might be the most indebted people in the world after Greece, unlike Greece, we have booming resource based economy (oil and metal prices are excellently priced and rising) and our economy is technically (but only technically) in a technical recession - but I don't want to get too technical about that.

Not a house of cards build one record low interest rates and astronomical debt - not at all. I cant see how these can possibly end! To the moon!
Everyone who presumably has "figured out" when prices will tank and that prices invariably will tank big time, has since been shut out of the market and may never be able to enter. For every one person that is trying to sell, you have four people willing to buy and probably another eight sitting in the shadows waiting to pounce if prices drop.

Sure there will be corrections, but at the end of the day, it won't drop enough for you to get into the game. Even if it does, you'd have no job to pay the mortgages at that point. And if they drop to a point where every average Joe in Toronto can buy a SFH, the city would probably end up like Detroit at that point.
Banned
Aug 24, 2015
22 posts
25 upvotes
North York, ON
Anikiri wrote: Everyone who presumably has "figured out" when prices will tank and that prices invariably will tank big time, has since been shut out of the market and may never be able to enter. For every one person that is trying to sell, you have four people willing to buy and probably another eight sitting in the shadows waiting to pounce if prices drop.

Sure there will be corrections, but at the end of the day, it won't drop enough for you to get into the game. Even if it does, you'd have no job to pay the mortgages at that point. And if they drop to a point where every average Joe in Toronto can buy a SFH, the city would probably end up like Detroit at that point.
lolz how someone can be completely convinced that their special tree will of course grow to the the moon. Also love the "we're all screwed if it happens" thus it can never ever happen.. head burred in sand lol.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9611 posts
8984 upvotes
Markham
Firethemall wrote: lolz how someone can be completely convinced that their special tree will of course grow to the the moon. Also love the "we're all screwed if it happens" thus it can never ever happen.. head burred in sand lol.
Mate, stick to your guns and wait it out. No reason to buy, the market is insane. I agree. Just wait it out, it's the best strategy yet. Everyone on greaterfool has been doing it for 15+ years.
Jan 19, 2004
199 posts
41 upvotes
Anikiri wrote: Everyone who presumably has "figured out" when prices will tank and that prices invariably will tank big time, has since been shut out of the market and may never be able to enter. For every one person that is trying to sell, you have four people willing to buy and probably another eight sitting in the shadows waiting to pounce if prices drop.

The renters + condo owners that want to upgrade will soon be looking to buy a SFH and thus I agree with you there. However, there comes a breaking point whereby the potential buyers into the marketplace will not be able to afford such a large price for a SFH. Who in their right mind would have saved enough to afford a home to sell for $1 million on a combined DINK of approximately $150K? Even then, that's assuming both of them have a great job netting $75K each. They would have to save up at least $500K to even afford a mortgage of $500K and even then they'd be stretched thin.

Enter the suburbs like RH, Markham, etc, whereby the lots are getting smaller (18 foot TH) and the THs are growing upwards (3 floors now) and those will probably appreciate a little more given the affordability of the THs (around $500K-$900K) and this amount is very affordable with a reasonable mortgage.

But back on topic, the Jays "if" they win, won't necessarily warrant people moving closer to Toronto just to watch the Jays. That's folly. Toronto real estate is going to be hot because it's Toronto, nothing to do with the Jays being good.