• Dec 22nd, 2010 12:30 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 26, 2010
316 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto

GTA Vehicle tax scrapped in 2011

Remember the scam from that scumbag mayor miller. The false tax that never went to the roads and took them 3 years to admit it wasn't used as promised. Well Rob Ford has scrapped it. Starting Jan 2011 no more $60 tax for renewing your plates. This tax pissed me off because it was nearly a 100% increase.
30 replies
Jun 23, 2010
4 posts
yyz
:twisted: This thing started in Sep 2008. For those have birthdays between Sep and Dec, you would have paid 3 times ($180). For all others, 2 times ($120)
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2004
2179 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
Lot of people will now switch their addresses back to a Toronto address now lol

When the tax came out, many switched to a address in Brampton, Markham etc to avoid the 60$ tax. The star had an article about this. I think the city lost lot of money on this.

Montreal will see their version of vehicle registration tax next year. A $45 vehicle registration tax on Montreal Island will be instituted in 2011, though exemptions will be made for school-transport buses, taxis and the company Communauto's car-sharing vehicles.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/num ... z17iVNiSae
"Our lives are defined by opportunities. Even the ones we miss."
Apr 18, 2010
578 posts
91 upvotes
Well be prepared for higher taxes elsewhere or fewer services.
You want services, you gotta pay for them.

So many people on these forums think you can have a free ride.
Banned
Jan 19, 2009
2300 posts
99 upvotes
fredf wrote: Well be prepared for higher taxes elsewhere or fewer services.
You want services, you gotta pay for them.

So many people on these forums think you can have a free ride.

go away pinko.

problem is wasteful spending on dumbshit like bike lanes on jarvis and the "homeless hilton".
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
LOL

so many stupid people, where do you think the $$ is going to come from to replace the lost revenue?
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
Dina_E wrote: go away pinko.

problem is wasteful spending on dumbshit like bike lanes on jarvis and the "homeless hilton".

you rather sit in traffic cause bikes will take up the entire traffic lane and you rather have the homeless sleeping outside on ur lawn? nice :facepalm:
Jul 12, 2010
39 posts
3 upvotes
gilboman wrote: you rather sit in traffic cause bikes will take up the entire traffic lane and you rather have the homeless sleeping outside on ur lawn? nice :facepalm:

No, you run the bikers down with your car, and feed half the homeless to the other half. That would feed the homeless for about a week, then of the remaining you feed half to the other half, and so on.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2004
3171 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
The Toronto budget was 6.4B in 2003 (the year before Miller took office) and the 2010 budget is 9.2B.

Use your common sense . . . .
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
DragonZealot wrote: The Toronto budget was 6.4B in 2003 (the year before Miller took office) and the 2010 budget is 9.2B.

Use your common sense . . . .

Are you saying you have none? Just inflation would've brought 6.4 billion upto 7.9 billion in 2010 dollars, and then there's all the aging infrastructure costs as well. Costs only go up , as well as inflation, are you that stupid? no wonder you have an idiot mayor who thinks scraping a few g's in Councillors budgets will let him kill a $60 car tax and build subways.

all high on cheap crack/meth
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2004
3171 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
gilboman wrote: Just inflation would've brought 6.4 billion upto 7.9 billion in 2010 dollars

all high on cheap crack/meth
23% inflation in 7 years from 2003 ? Who is on cheap crack? or just lack of common sense?

If you don't know how to do compound rate, use the following inflation calculator:
http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/rates/inflation_calc.html

The Canada compouond inflation from 03 - 10 is 14%, not 44% as in Toronto's budget. And even if it should be 7.9B in 2010, Toronto will spent 9.2B in 2010. Between 7.9B and 9.2B, where is the descrepency of 1,300 Million dollors went to???

Javis street bike lanes, St Clair LRT -- are those aging infrastructures? And city hall expenses . . . .

Ford does not have to magic wand to solve all problems, nobody does. Leaders take the matter to the right direction only. Whether it arrives the destination depends on lots of other things. With the new office at least we know the expenses will be reined and the train won't derail.
Apr 18, 2010
578 posts
91 upvotes
Let's see: we all wants centres for our kids' to play and learn sports skills, public libraries, decent roads, public transit..... but you don't want to pay taxes... hmmm, that's pretty clever.

No one likes waste. And, of course, in any large organization there is waste. I'm sure none of you have ever wasted anything.

But look at Bell Canada, Rogers, how about Nortel. Those are all private companies that don't know crap about customer service or organizational matters.

But you guys want the government run like a business. Well, which business is so well run that government should emulate.

You and Don Cherry can call me a pinko, but unless you wish to get violent and force me outa' town, we're all going to have to live together. So how about discussing this maturely and with some critical capacity. Or are you guys such losers that you can't even do that?
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
DragonZealot wrote: 23% inflation in 7 years from 2003 ? Who is on cheap crack? or just lack of common sense?

If you don't know how to do compound rate, use the following inflation calculator:

The Canada compouond inflation from 03 - 10 is 14%, not 44% as in Toronto's budget. And even if it should be 7.9B in 2010, Toronto will spent 9.2B in 2010. Between 7.9B and 9.2B, where is the descrepency of 1,300 Million dollors went to???

Javis street bike lanes, St Clair LRT -- are those aging infrastructures? And city hall expenses . . . .

Ford does not have to magic wand to solve all problems, nobody does. Leaders take the matter to the right direction only. Whether it arrives the destination depends on lots of other things. With the new office at least we know the expenses will be reined and the train won't derail.

how do you get compound inflation to be 14%??? seriously? do a standard 3% a year and you end up at 7.9billion

you have 0 knowledge of the infrastructure needs of the city, have you looked at the roads? when were most of the roads/sewers built? do you notice the bursting sewers all the time? take a good look at when the majority of the infrastructure of the city was built and look at the calender. They are near the end or well past their expectancy already. Let's not even talk about the downloaded social services.

and yes you are on cheap crack, since when did the city of toronto use CPI to run things? yea i'm sure cityhall paves roads with loafs of bread and underwear. But this is what happens when you have an uneducated stupid electorate I guess, you end up with a moron as mayor

But since I'm all about helping the disadvantaged, I suggest you look at population differences between 2003-2010 in Toronto, the number of immigrants/low income increases in the city during that time frame and maybe..just maybe think of the social costs needed to accommodate them.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
2623 posts
162 upvotes
gilboman wrote: LOL

so many stupid people, where do you think the $$ is going to come from to replace the lost revenue?

Ok the Vehicle Registration tax raised $64 million. No one argues with that. What did the $64 million get spent on? Can anyone answer that?

If not, then we can remove the raising of the $64 million, and remove the spending of that $64 million on unknown items, agendas and contracts. With Zero Impact.
The $64 million never went to roads as it was supposed to, so removing that $64 million means we get the same result (no $64 million for roads because they never got $64 million for roads to begin with)
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
2623 posts
162 upvotes
Mayor Miller would inflate the budgets intentionally, so that he could claim he had a surplus at the end of each year. lol.

When in fact he should balance a real budget. Del Grande actually has a formidable background to hopefully accomplish this. What he needs though is honest feedback from programs, clients, representatives and councillors as to need vs wants.

We've been operating at inefficient, bloated contracts/salaries/budgets for a long time. Go back to fixing the necessities, and not about expanding programs because it sounds like a good idea (and giving the contracts to our friends).
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2005
2649 posts
48 upvotes
Bay Area
fredf wrote: So how about discussing this maturely and with some critical capacity. Or are you guys such losers that you can't even do that?

Hypocrisy at its finest.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2001
2823 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
DragonZealot wrote: The Toronto budget was 6.4B in 2003 (the year before Miller took office) and the 2010 budget is 9.2B.
It's weird cuz even with the huge spending increases, the city still wanted to close down public pools, and suffered that horrific garbage (city worker) strike.
Hi5exposure Photography
http://www.hi5exposure.com
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
2623 posts
162 upvotes
urameatball wrote: It's weird cuz even with the huge spending increases, the city still wanted to close down public pools, and suffered that horrific garbage (city worker) strike.
Haha I think cause the garbage strike saved us money, literally. Maybe the savings from that is our actual surplus that Miller handed to Ford.
Because 24,000 of the city's 30,000 being out of work receiving no salary from the city for 6 weeks is still more than paying 2 weeks of overtime for garbage workers only (not all city workers got overtime).

Assuming 52k a year, thats $1000 a week. Which means $6000 of saved Salary per employee on strike. Total Savings equals $144,000,000 (144 Million). I dont care if paid $40 million to clean up the city, thats still $104 million saved. lol. And thats using my low estimates of assuming everyone for the city only makes $52,000 a year.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2004
3171 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
gilboman wrote: how do you get compound inflation to be 14%??? seriously? do a standard 3% a year and you end up at 7.9billion

I suggested above link for calculating inflation. If you don't know how to click and punch in the numbers, I cannot help you with that.

Based on Bank of Canada from above link, the average inflation rate from 2003 - 2010 is 1.9%, not 3%. Your information is incorrect.

gilboman wrote: you have 0 knowledge of the infrastructure needs of the city, have you looked at the roads? when were most of the roads/sewers built? do you notice the bursting sewers all the time? take a good look at when the majority of the infrastructure of the city was built and look at the calender. They are near the end or well past their expectancy already. Let's not even talk about the downloaded social services.
I am aware of the degrading infrastructure. With budget going up at such high rate, we still have these issues. Should we look at finding more money by reducing waste or should we just keep billing the rate payers?
gilboman wrote: and yes you are on cheap crack, since when did the city of toronto use CPI to run things? yea i'm sure cityhall paves roads with loafs of bread and underwear. But this is what happens when you have an uneducated stupid electorate I guess, you end up with a moron as mayor
I olny said they should be looking into wasteful expenses. I never said they should not fix the infrastructure or should not help the disadvantaged. I don't know why you are so angry about my stand (which I dont have one here) on infrastructure and homeless.

You have insulted me and others. I don't see it makes much sense to respond to you anymore.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)