• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2013 10:19 pm
[OP]
Feb 4, 2009
66 posts
22 upvotes
Chatham

GU10/MR16 5/9W LED spotlight 330lm dimmable w/Cree 20% off w/coupon Q3ZLSG

I was looking for some quality LED spotlights for a while and heard that Cree leds are one of the best, so I started looking online and found www.lumileds.ca. They are selling a brand I never heard of called crystaleds but they are using Cree chip, after reading a guide on their website, I learned a lot and I ordered last week some GU10 and MR16 LED spotlights for my basement/office recessed lights.I installed them yesterday and I'm very happy, they are brighter that my old halogens. I had previously ordered some from china but I was not happy, at least these are UL certified and the build quality is excellent with a magnesium heat sink.
What's funny is I found in the box a paper with instructions to register as a dealer account online with a 20% off retail price using a coupon code.
I don't know if it was an error but I went on their website and created a new account, entered promotion code : Q3ZLSGand voila.
Don't know if there is an expiration date but it worked, I only bought 4 lights and it's not worth it for me to return them and re-order with the coupon (the saving would be equal the shipping back and forth), but I will certainly order more at $17 a piece for 9W Cree that's an decent price compared to the one at HD at $25.
86 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
1377 posts
512 upvotes
Good timing! I was just looking for something like this today. I almost started a thread asking for help.

How is the beam compared to a normal halogen 50w? I initially looked for LEDs a couple of years ago, but at that time the beam was very narrow and only good for spot lighting -- plus it was 5x the price as today. Is the beam diffuse enough for room lighting?
Dec 4, 2011
311 posts
265 upvotes
Guelph
peterman3 wrote: I installed them yesterday and I'm very happy, they are brighter that my old halogens.

When you said they are brighter than your old halogens, were you replacing 30W or 50W halogens? The site description says these are a 50W halogen replacement, but I just wanted to clarify whether you think they're actually equivalent/brighter than a 50W or just brighter than a 30W. Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9413 posts
7652 upvotes
Kitchener
I see $18.40 after discount + taxes + shipping, NOT $17. Comes to $28.31 for ONE bulb, forget it, I only need one (for a ceiling fan), not really interested in 'warm white' either, prefer a purer white.
Mar 20, 2007
949 posts
546 upvotes
Toronto
I wish they have PAR30 LED.
[OP]
Feb 4, 2009
66 posts
22 upvotes
Chatham
shopper_of_things wrote: Good timing! I was just looking for something like this today. I almost started a thread asking for help.

How is the beam compared to a normal halogen 50w? I initially looked for LEDs a couple of years ago, but at that time the beam was very narrow and only good for spot lighting -- plus it was 5x the price as today. Is the beam diffuse enough for room lighting?
My old halogen have a beam angle of 30, these LED have a 45%, everything is covered.
May 8, 2002
821 posts
152 upvotes
Too bad it is only 330 lumens at a 45 degree beam angle. Cree LED chip is nice. Anybody have experience ordering from NeoMagnetic GADGETS? Their GU10 products output more lumens at a higher wattage and wider beam angle. The price is nice at $18.95 but the Epistar LED chip is certainly not better than Cree. I would visit their store if I was in Montreal.
[OP]
Feb 4, 2009
66 posts
22 upvotes
Chatham
AnnV11 wrote: When you said they are brighter than your old halogens, were you replacing 30W or 50W halogens? The site description says these are a 50W halogen replacement, but I just wanted to clarify whether you think they're actually equivalent/brighter than a 50W or just brighter than a 30W. Thanks!

I replaced 50 watt halogens, I have an Extech light meter I will try to post tonight or tomorrow morning some picture of the readings with both the halogen and the led.
[OP]
Feb 4, 2009
66 posts
22 upvotes
Chatham
The Kid wrote: Too bad it is only 330 lumens at a 45 degree beam angle. Cree LED chip is nice. Anybody have experience ordering from NeoMagnetic GADGETS? Their GU10 products output more lumens at a higher wattage and wider beam angle. The price is nice at $18.95 but the Epistar LED chip is certainly not better than Cree. I would visit their store if I was in Montreal.
Watch out for the fake 9W advertising, people are advertising 9W because they use 3 chip of 3w each, but each led is powered at 50-60%, (the lumileds use 3 chip of 3w each which makes 9W but still they advertise 5W, the actual power that the light bulb uses).I almost got caught on aliexpess when someone was selling 9W Cree GU10, when I contacted him to make sure they are 100% cree, he answered me that they are the "chinese Cree not the American one". BS, Cree chips are only produce in USA. I rather pay a bit more and have a UL listed product, there is too much garbage online...
For the lumens output check if the lights are warm white or cool white, usually cool white have 20% more lumens. I don't like the cool white, warm white is very close to halogen. Epistar chips are the lowest quality and the cheapest on the market I bought 2 on aliexpress for about $10/each shipped but they lasted only 2 months, plus the light was very blue.
Oct 25, 2006
276 posts
71 upvotes
dearsir wrote: I wish they have PAR30 LED.

If you are looking for some Par30s and Par38 LEDs, you can contact these guys, www.greenimagetech.com. They offer free shipping if you purchase over a certain amount, can't remember. Price for the par30 was $32 and $38 for the Par38.
[OP]
Feb 4, 2009
66 posts
22 upvotes
Chatham
IntrepidRT wrote: I see $18.40 after discount + taxes + shipping, NOT $17. Comes to $28.31 for ONE bulb, forget it, I only need one (for a ceiling fan), not really interested in 'warm white' either, prefer a purer white.

It's not worth it if you buy 1 but if you get 6+ with the discount and flat rate shipping it become interesting, 5% GST for anyone out of quebec is better than you local HD store.
[OP]
Feb 4, 2009
66 posts
22 upvotes
Chatham
kalekainxx wrote: If you are looking for some Par30s and Par38 LEDs, you can contact these guys, www.greenimagetech.com. They offer free shipping if you purchase over a certain amount, can't remember. Price for the par30 was $32 and $38 for the Par38.

I have seen 7W or 9W PAR30 at costco few weeks ago for $19.99 luminus brand, check your local costco
Feb 24, 2003
397 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
Peterman: <thanked>
I'm very interested in replacing all my kitchen GU10 50 Watt halogens. Do the GU10's ( 5W) you ordered also replace 50 Watt halogens? I've been waiting for LED that is AT LEAST as bright as what I already have with halogen.

Also: you say the colour is close to halogen - anything more specific you can offer would be helpful. i.e. is it a tad yellowish in colour (like halogen)?

MANY THANKS!
May 8, 2002
821 posts
152 upvotes
peterman3 wrote: Watch out for the fake 9W advertising, people are advertising 9W because they use 3 chip of 3w each, but each led is powered at 50-60%, (the lumileds use 3 chip of 3w each which makes 9W but still they advertise 5W, the actual power that the light bulb uses).I almost got caught on aliexpess when someone was selling 9W Cree GU10, when I contacted him to make sure they are 100% cree, he answered me that they are the "chinese Cree not the American one". BS, Cree chips are only produce in USA. I rather pay a bit more and have a UL listed product, there is too much garbage online...
For the lumens output check if the lights are warm white or cool white, usually cool white have 20% more lumens. I don't like the cool white, warm white is very close to halogen. Epistar chips are the lowest quality and the cheapest on the market I bought 2 on aliexpress for about $10/each shipped but they lasted only 2 months, plus the light was very blue.

No doubt quality costs. I don't mind the "bluer" colour as long as the GU10 LED bulbs output high lumens at a decent beam angle. I purchased some cool white LED GU10s that delivered 475 lumens and found them too dim for my tastes. I ended up getting these. UL listed, Cree LED chips, 50 degree beam angle, 7 Watts and 720 lumens. They are not dimmable and are expensive. Hopefully they last more than 5 years.
[OP]
Feb 4, 2009
66 posts
22 upvotes
Chatham
bitbrain wrote: Peterman: <thanked>
I'm very interested in replacing all my kitchen GU10 50 Watt halogens. Do the GU10's ( 5W) you ordered also replace 50 Watt halogens? I've been waiting for LED that is AT LEAST as bright as what I already have with halogen.

Also: you say the colour is close to halogen - anything more specific you can offer would be helpful. i.e. is it a tad yellowish in colour (like halogen)?

MANY THANKS!
Here are the pics and measurements in my bathroom (about 5 ft from the ceiling) :

GU10 LED 5W lumileds warm white 3000K 45 degree angle(new)

http://postimage.org/image/bsdeu53qb/

[IMG]http://postimage.org/image/bsdeu53qb/[/IMG]

GU10 Halogen Globe 50W 30 degree angle(old one)
[IMG]http://postimage.org/image/yrakwfgph/[/IMG]
http://postimage.org/image/yrakwfgph/
[OP]
Feb 4, 2009
66 posts
22 upvotes
Chatham
bitbrain wrote: Peterman: <thanked>

MANY THANKS!
check the pics above, the lumileds 5W LED warm white is brighter than the halogen although in the picture it looks more yellow, I guess it has to do with my camera. But you can still see that the LED I bought gives 798 lux and the 50w halogen give 779 lux @ about 5 ft or 1.5m
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20141 posts
8175 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
I would have to go through a lot of bills and a lot of replacement bulbs to make the $400+ after discount it would take to replace the bulbs in just my basement back in "led savings". That and I'm guessing they are a lot dimmer than a standard 50W GU10.

Edit: This translates into waiting longer before bothering.
Feb 24, 2003
397 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
peterman3 wrote: Here are the pics and measurements in my bathroom (about 5 ft from the ceiling) :

GU10 LED 5W lumileds warm white 3000K 45 degree angle(new)

http://postimage.org/image/bsdeu53qb/

[IMG]http://postimage.org/image/bsdeu53qb/[/IMG]

GU10 Halogen Globe 50W 30 degree angle(old one)
[IMG]http://postimage.org/image/yrakwfgph/[/IMG]
http://postimage.org/image/yrakwfgph/

interesting. The LED photo looks warmer than the halogen.

Thanks once again Peterman!
Feb 24, 2003
397 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
bitbrain wrote: interesting. The LED photo looks warmer than the halogen.

Thanks once again Peterman!

Only takes paypal? Strange...

"Crystaled" seems to be a name unique for this vendor(?) Google only finds references to this seller. Strange...