• Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2021 12:08 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 29, 2019
174 posts
133 upvotes

Guelph or New Tecumseth for new House

As the title suggests, I am in a conundrum of whether to buy my first house in Guelph or New Tecumseth.

Me and my wife have our jobs near YYZ Airport and the crazy prices of houses in GTA left us with tough choice between a condominium in GTA or a town house in suburb with around 45min commute each way.

We choose the second option, thinking we would be commuting together, save more buying a freehold townhouse far away instead of paying around $1k fees just for condo maintenance. Also we like to have backyard, even if they are small.

This would be our first home, and we are really struggling to make the decision regarding the location, Guelph with a college and being big and surrounded by Kitchener and Cambridge seems more vibrant, but the house in New Tecumseth is bit cheaper, and we think the traffic is going to be less.

Could you guys please share your two cents regarding the pros and cons of both locations.

We would be very grateful.
Last edited by patel21 on Dec 29th, 2020 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
33 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 27, 2004
5846 posts
3763 upvotes
Toronto
Guelph
Full-time Realtor
Jul 4, 2018
410 posts
329 upvotes
Guelph ... no brainer
University,, GO... Waterloo Kitchener jobs, government jobs
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3368 posts
1321 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Stay in the GTA and live in a shoebox on the 69th floor of some building with a fruity name like The Cloud with maintenance fees of $2000/mo.
<removed>
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
11555 posts
10039 upvotes
Can you move out of the GTA? Guelph to Airport everyday is going to be a miserable commute. Or get another job close to Guelph.

I like Guelph but thats a miserable commute if your driving during rush hour.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2010
1256 posts
1479 upvotes
Toronto
Guelph is nice but commuting from Guelph to the airport daily sounds almost impossible. If you have to commute to the Airport, and pick between these two options, New Tecumseh is the only choice I would make.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3780 posts
285 upvotes
Travelling on the 401 at any time of the day is bad - it's very unpredictable. Travelling during rush hour is a nightmare! New Tecumseth may be a better option, taking the back roads if the highways are busy.

For purely living purposes, I'd choose Guelph over New Tecumseth.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2019
174 posts
133 upvotes
Yes, New Tecumseth does seem to have less traffic, and a lot more areas of GTA are accessible from there, then from Guelph.
But properties in Guelph seems increase more in valuations.
Oh God.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22056 posts
8462 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Traffic is going to wear you down over time, and as people move out of TO its going to get much worse in the coming years.
You can't get time back, so is is worth being on the road more and more and more when you can choose less?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Jan 29, 2013
308 posts
135 upvotes
toronto
I moved to New Tecumseth this year. I dont miss the heavy traffic of GTA, prices were way cheaper on town house when I booked pre-const. Once a while we have to go to Barrie (about 30km) for shopping for big stores. I looked at Guelph too that time and driving 401 coming GTA changed my mind. Look for builder Treetop in New Tecumseth if interested in brand new home.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
11555 posts
10039 upvotes
patel21 wrote: Yes, New Tecumseth does seem to have less traffic, and a lot more areas of GTA are accessible from there, then from Guelph.
But properties in Guelph seems increase more in valuations.
Oh God.
Have you considered buying property in new tecumseth and renting it out and then renting in the city? As you get older you can always move back to your house... lots of people are doing this nowadays.
Last edited by Sanyo on Dec 29th, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2010
1256 posts
1479 upvotes
Toronto
The worst part of this is you can't even simulate the Guelph morning commute during the pandemic. Well you could try, but it would be a lesser version of the real thing. I really think you are underestimating how bad this commute will be.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2019
174 posts
133 upvotes
Sanyo wrote: Have you considered buying property in new tecumseth and renting it out and then buying in the city? As you get older you can always move back to your house... lots of people are doing this nowadays.
Ok, so I buy house in New Tecumseth, rent it out and then continue renting my GTA appt. Hmm that doesn't seem like a very bad idea
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
11555 posts
10039 upvotes
patel21 wrote: Ok, so I buy house in New Tecumseth, rent it out and then continue renting my GTA appt. Hmm that doesn't seem like a very bad idea
Yeah check how much the rents go first there and see rental demand... if it’s worth it then do that. And then rent in the city.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2019
174 posts
133 upvotes
DaMan12 wrote: The worst part of this is you can't even simulate the Guelph morning commute during the pandemic. Well you could try, but it would be a lesser version of the real thing. I really think you are underestimating how bad this commute will be.
Do you think commute from New Tecumseth would be any better than Guelph after pandemic ?
Jan 21, 2011
810 posts
334 upvotes
GTA
I second New Tecumseth. I would of preferred Guelph or Rockwood, but it used to take 45 mins to 2 hours to get home in Mississauga from downtown Toronto core. Guelph is another 45 mins drive from Mississauga. Not sure how much highway expansion is going to help. Property taxes and water quality is another negative for Guelph and area (water softener needed)

Some parts of New Tecumseth suffers from water quality issues as well, although I think it might be iron related.

You will be looking at about a 35 - 45mins commute depending on which part of New Tecumseth.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2019
174 posts
133 upvotes
lamin wrote: I second New Tecumseth. I would of preferred Guelph or Rockwood, but it used to take 45 mins to 2 hours to get home in Mississauga from downtown Toronto core. Guelph is another 45 mins drive from Mississauga. Not sure how much highway expansion is going to help. Property taxes and water quality is another negative for Guelph and area (water softener needed)

Some parts of New Tecumseth suffers from water quality issues as well, although I think it might be iron related.

You will be looking at about a 35 - 45mins commute depending on which part of New Tecumseth.

Wow, I didn't even knew to check water quality of the areas where we buy house.
Thanks for the tip.
Dec 12, 2011
203 posts
224 upvotes
Toronto
This is such a tough choice to make. But guelph seems to be the better choice in terms of potential and if theres a better chance you can find employment in guelph (kitchenener or waterloo), that's where I am choosing. Its definitely not going to be a 45 minute drive however.
Jan 14, 2008
510 posts
280 upvotes
Toronto
OP what is the budget of your target homes?