PC & Video Games

Guess the Xbox Series X price (Canadian$$$)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2020 11:12 am
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2397 posts
2517 upvotes
GTA
mrtvgame wrote: Like I have mentioned above, if it is that high, it is unlikely it will be an exact exchange rate. Then again, people have no problem forking over $1200 for a new phone or $1400 for an iPad.
Very true, but the mental hurdle on that price would be a difficult one for potential buyers. People will spend $1200 on an iPhone they can probably only use for 4 years tops, but it is a daily portable device whereas an Xbox etc. isn't. Considering a console is in essence a bunch of PC parts you could cobble together yourself for much less, that would mean a lot of the price tag is the gaming framework and services. iPhones are of course subsidizing the same thing, but it's not as easy to procure those parts and build it yourself.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
2146 posts
852 upvotes
Montreal, QC
mrtvgame wrote: Like I have mentioned above, if it is that high, it is unlikely it will be an exact exchange rate. Then again, people have no problem forking over $1200 for a new phone or $1400 for an iPad.
true. i don't expect it to be that price too. we're most likely getting in the $600-$700. going to be hard to fork that kind of money. good thing for trade-ins promo and PC points
Deal Addict
May 24, 2007
1117 posts
686 upvotes
London, ON
I'm not sure where the idea that they won't price at or near the exchange rate is coming from. What precedent is there for a game console or similar electronic device to be priced significantly lower (than exchange) in Canada?

I can understand the argument about sticker shock, but I don't think that's typically been a deterrent. We've had $60 USD / $80 CAD games as a common thing for years. (Yes, $80 is less of a shock than $800.)

An argument about the economy and customer buying power + a non-essential entertainment product. . . That would be a worldwide problem. That pricing strategy is probably considering the US market more than Canada, and I have to imagine the average American console buyer is in a worse economic position than a Canadian counterpart.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
2035 posts
2621 upvotes
Windsor
AnonymousBroccoli wrote: I'm not sure where the idea that they won't price at or near the exchange rate is coming from. What precedent is there for a game console or similar electronic device to be priced significantly lower (than exchange) in Canada?
The recent one - Xbox One X.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4501 posts
1635 upvotes
Ajax
AnonymousBroccoli wrote: I'm not sure where the idea that they won't price at or near the exchange rate is coming from. What precedent is there for a game console or similar electronic device to be priced significantly lower (than exchange) in Canada?

I can understand the argument about sticker shock, but I don't think that's typically been a deterrent. We've had $60 USD / $80 CAD games as a common thing for years. (Yes, $80 is less of a shock than $800.)

An argument about the economy and customer buying power + a non-essential entertainment product. . . That would be a worldwide problem. That pricing strategy is probably considering the US market more than Canada, and I have to imagine the average American console buyer is in a worse economic position than a Canadian counterpart.
All kinds of examples. Xbox 360 at one point was priced under exchange rate. It was a move by Microsoft to move more units as Sony did go with standard exchange rate for PS3 in the beginning. I am guessing the average console buyer in each country are not necessarily the early adopters. Regardless of price, we know PS5 is going to sell out and be in demand. Not clear is Series X will be in the same boat.

Also for a number of years, with the E3 promos we had up here, we were actually cheaper than the US pricing.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34162 posts
3894 upvotes
Winnipeg
699 with one controller and one launch title game (digital)
69 for extra controller
79 for standard price game
Deal Addict
May 24, 2007
1117 posts
686 upvotes
London, ON
mymuro wrote: The recent one - Xbox One X.
When it was announced, exchange was climbing around $0.75, and they priced at $0.833, which was surprisingly good, yes. (~$66 lower, which is admittedly higher than I recalled.) By the time it launched, CAD was jumping around more like $0.80 for a few months, so ultimately less great. (Maybe around $30 lower.)

That was also a case where they were following a year lead on a cheaper direct competitor (PS4 Pro) from a somewhat dominant market leader. They kept the same $100 difference as the US pricing. This time, they're announcing and launching similarly-powerful consoles around the same time, probably for around the same US price.
Last edited by AnonymousBroccoli on Sep 6th, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2007
1117 posts
686 upvotes
London, ON
mrtvgame wrote: All kinds of examples. Xbox 360 at one point was priced under exchange rate. It was a move by Microsoft to move more units as Sony did go with standard exchange rate for PS3 in the beginning. I am guessing the average console buyer in each country are not necessarily the early adopters. Regardless of price, we know PS5 is going to sell out and be in demand. Not clear is Series X will be in the same boat.

Also for a number of years, with the E3 promos we had up here, we were actually cheaper than the US pricing.
I can't remember the entire generation, but at launch, pretty sure the 20 GB Xbox 360 was $400 USD / $500 CAD ($0.80). As far as I can tell, between price announcement in August 2005, and launch in November, actual exchange was better: around $0.82-0.84. (~$480 CAD)

PS3 was announced around $600 USD / $660 CAD, which was about right for exchange. Then when CAD dipped around launch, plus low supply and high demand, I definitely recall some retailers (Future Shop?) bumping the price to $700 CAD.

I don't recall what Xbox did to counter PS3 (and Wii) launch, but this thread suggests it was still $500 CAD, with retailers maybe throwing in games or controllers.
hot-fs-xbox-360-prem-w-5-games-367855/

PS5 does seem wildly more anticipated than XSX. That's the main reason I figure Xbox might try to undercut price, despite mostly being a bit more powerful.

I'm not sure how to factor E3 pre-order deals into it. I have to imagine that's been major Canadian retailers trying to drive sales when customers are hyped, and certain publishers going along with it. Even for less-great sales, like getting Avengers for $55, that'd be better than the US from any calculation.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2007
1117 posts
686 upvotes
London, ON
Unconfirmed leaks (edit: XSS now confirmed) coming out tonight claiming prices of:

Xbox Series S: $299 USD ($390.56 CAD)
Xbox Series X: $499 USD ($651.81 CAD)

That's been the typical US MSRP on the respective current-gen Xbox One models. If true, it'd be pretty cool if they kept it the same here as well. Though I still feel like it'd be a stretch for XSX.

Xbox One Series S: $380 CAD?
Xbox One Series X: $600 CAD?

(Obviously Xbox One will drop at some point. XB1X is no longer being produced, and has been as low as $380 this year; currently at $480.)
Jul 14, 2014
910 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto, ON
AnonymousBroccoli wrote: Unconfirmed leaks (edit: XSS now confirmed) coming out tonight claiming prices of:

Xbox Series S: $299 USD ($390.56 CAD)
Xbox Series X: $499 USD ($651.81 CAD)

That's been the typical US MSRP on the respective current-gen Xbox One models. If true, it'd be pretty cool if they kept it the same here as well. Though I still feel like it'd be a stretch for XSX.

Xbox One Series S: $380 CAD?
Xbox One Series X: $600 CAD?

(Obviously Xbox One will drop at some point. XB1X is no longer being produced, and has been as low as $380 this year; currently at $480.)
Yeah, would be nice to have the S at $379cad and the X at $599.

But I'm not holding my breath.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5366 posts
1001 upvotes
calgary
If 499$ USD is where this lands that's actually a pretty good price considering the tech.

On the flip side though Nvidia just dropped their 3000 series and the prices are very competitive as well.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
2035 posts
2621 upvotes
Windsor
9394 wrote: As per the Xbox Series S/X thread:

Series X - $449USD/$579CAN
Series S - $249USD/$379CAN
You were right about the price of Series S(in Canada anyway). Let's see the Series X's.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7932 posts
4545 upvotes
Toronto
If that Series S can actually hit 1440p/60fps or even 1080p/60fps consistently with high-ultra like detail settings for $379 then that'd be a game changer for console gaming and I'm not sure why anyone would bother with the XSX at that price point. Combine that with the value of game pass and that's actually insane. Might be the first time I buy a console at launch in years if the performance is actually up to par.
Jun 10, 2003
652 posts
89 upvotes
Halifax
ReeGee wrote: If that Series S can actually hit 1440p/60fps or even 1080p/60fps consistently with high-ultra like detail settings for $379 then that'd be a game changer for console gaming and I'm not sure why anyone would bother with the XSX at that price point. Combine that with the value of game pass and that's actually insane. Might be the first time I buy a console at launch in years if the performance is actually up to par.
I was planning on picking up a used xbox one for cheap when everyone starts selling them just for gamepass. Before the presentation I wasnt even considering an xbox next gen but I might now.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7932 posts
4545 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder if MS would ever consider allowing people to dual boot with Windows 10 on these new console because that could really shake things up and provide a level of value their competition isn't capable of matching but that's probably asking too much at that price point