PC & Video Games

Guess the Xbox Series X price (Canadian$$$)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2020 11:12 am
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4389 posts
1353 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote: I wonder if MS would ever consider allowing people to dual boot with Windows 10 on these new console because that could really shake things up and provide a level of value their competition isn't capable of matching but that's probably asking too much at that price point
I think that's asking a bit much, and also potentially cutting out a big revenue source if people will just use Steam or whatever to acquire their games...
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7932 posts
4545 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote: I think that's asking a bit much, and also potentially cutting out a big revenue source if people will just use Steam or whatever to acquire their games...
maybe but the increase in hardware sales could also potentially balance out the estimated loss in direct Xbox games sales. The vast majority of people would probably still buy and use it like a regular Xbox console but it could just be a cool option that would make their hardware appealing to different audience that typically wouldn't consider a console otherwise. The appeal and potential there would actually go far beyond gaming with the right marketing
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5366 posts
1001 upvotes
calgary
ReeGee wrote: I wonder if MS would ever consider allowing people to dual boot with Windows 10 on these new console because that could really shake things up and provide a level of value their competition isn't capable of matching but that's probably asking too much at that price point
I'd really like to see that.... Can you imagine a HTPC with that form factor and those internals going for 380$? That would be amazing.

I don't think that jives with their business model though, they are for sure eating a loss on these consoles and are doing so in part because they are guaranteed some return in game purchases directly from their store and live/gamepass subscriptions.

I really like the look and form factor of the thing after seeing it in some videos, much more than the Series X and the PS5. Admittedly at first though I thought I was just looking at a picture of the adaptive controller.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2397 posts
2517 upvotes
GTA
People buy consoles because they want to avoid the complications of using or gaming on a PC. The XBox touts itself as having multi-console support through Gamepass. I suspect the niche market for this would surpass the amount of people that wanted Linux support on PS2 and PS3 by a couple of dozen.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7932 posts
4545 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote: I'd really like to see that.... Can you imagine a HTPC with that form factor and those internals going for 380$? That would be amazing.

I don't think that jives with their business model though, they are for sure eating a loss on these consoles and are doing so in part because they are guaranteed some return in game purchases directly from their store and live/gamepass subscriptions.

I really like the look and form factor of the thing after seeing it in some videos, much more than the Series X and the PS5. Admittedly at first though I thought I was just looking at a picture of the adaptive controller.
With those specs at that price they could effectively take over the entire desktop prebuild market and there's lot of other potential uses for those specs such as content creation and production among other things if they could run Windows.

I'm not sure what MS/Xbox business model is anymore but they don't seem married to being a console gaming company anymore the same way Sony and Nintendo are. They already blurred the line by putting Game Pass on PC so why not flip the script the other way around and make console hardware optional Win 10 PCs? It almost seems like a waste to have that hardware at that price locked to just playing console games while they also own the most popular OS in the world. They could still have it boot and primarily highlight Xbox and games to promote game sales while still allowing Win 10 access.
BernardRyder wrote: People buy consoles because they want to avoid the complications of using or gaming on a PC.
A Microsoft OS running on standardized Microsoft built hardware would remove most if not all of the perceived complication of using a gaming PC which typically comes from the varying hardware configurations from different manufactures.
Nov 10, 2005
329 posts
166 upvotes
Yes, being able to run Windows on the XSX would be incredible. They wouldn't even have to use the internal SSD... you could just run the OS from the external NVMe.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2397 posts
2517 upvotes
GTA
ReeGee wrote: A Microsoft OS running on standardized Microsoft built hardware would remove most if not all of the perceived complication of using a gaming PC which typically comes from the varying hardware configurations from different manufactures.
It's a swell sounding idea, sure, but doesn't seem ideal in reality. When you say Microsoft built hardware, maybe you mean Microsoft-certified hardware, since it has an AMD CPU and GPU, and some unidentified manufacturer's storage solution. Which would make this like any gaming PC, but with even more specialized hardware, therfore needing as many if not more resources on MS's part to be supported, functional, and easier to use with Windows 10. And that assumes people only have issues with PC hardware and not the software. Users like myself get Windows 10, but a whole lot of people really like iOS because iOS is much easier to use.
And besides, Windows 10 already has a successor in the works, which is a different than what we're used to seeing and more modular: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... s-polaris/
Sure, maybe they would port this to the new XBox, but by the time it comes out it would just be the current XBox, making me doubt even more they would port a new Windows OS to a possibly mid-life console. And again, this seems to ignore the elephant in the room: Gamepass, which touts itself as making gaming cross-platform for both XBox and PC users.
MS isn't in the market to create set-top PC-boxes for the masses. I lived through that supposed reality back in the 1990's, where it thankfully died.
c'mon get happy!
Aug 20, 2009
7857 posts
2708 upvotes
Grimsby
ReeGee wrote: If that Series S can actually hit 1440p/60fps or even 1080p/60fps consistently with high-ultra like detail settings for $379 then that'd be a game changer for console gaming and I'm not sure why anyone would bother with the XSX at that price point. Combine that with the value of game pass and that's actually insane. Might be the first time I buy a console at launch in years if the performance is actually up to par.
Given that the One X even had issues maintaining 1080p/60fps in many titles, let alone an internal render target of 1440p, I doubt that will be the case but I guess we'll see. Nothing wrong with an entry level box that can play next gen stuff at 1080p and a solid 30-60fps. I still think the price could be lower given the modest storage and lack of a disc drive though but I'm not unhappy with it.
I wonder if MS would ever consider allowing people to dual boot with Windows 10 on these new console because that could really shake things up and provide a level of value their competition isn't capable of matching but that's probably asking too much at that price point
Errr haha that's some pie in the sky stuff. It's a closed platform that they have no intention of opening, let alone adding a secure boot load option for people to hack around with. They would be absolutely nuts to even consider it. The majority of the market would never need or want this functionality either. It would go off about as well as dual booting the PS3 with Linux did and probably have similar piracy results. There would be so many other challenges that it's not even worth considering.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
2035 posts
2621 upvotes
Windsor
mymuro wrote: $499 USD/ $599 CAD like the launch of Xbox One X
Bingo
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
6418 posts
4393 upvotes
Redmask wrote: People who correctly picked the price:

Talamasca
mymuro
Cheapo-Findo
spike1128

Kudos ladies and gents!
Yo yo, I got the Series S price correct! Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11904 posts
2100 upvotes
Mississauga
Redmask wrote: People who correctly picked the price:

Talamasca
mymuro
Cheapo-Findo
spike1128

Kudos ladies and gents!
Yay! I was way off on the Series S price though. It's $379.99 and I predicted $459.99. I didn't think Microsoft would go that low!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7932 posts
4545 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote: Errr haha that's some pie in the sky stuff. It's a closed platform that they have no intention of opening, let alone adding a secure boot load option for people to hack around with. They would be absolutely nuts to even consider it. The majority of the market would never need or want this functionality either. It would go off about as well as dual booting the PS3 with Linux did and probably have similar piracy results. There would be so many other challenges that it's not even worth considering.
Ya i'm just thinking out loud for fun and discussion here and don't really think that would happen. That said the PS3 running Linux on its wonky proprietary specs isn't remotely comparable to the potential practical use of a current MS console capable of running Windows 10 imo. The piracy concern is like saying anyone playing games on Windows 10 right now is a pirate while the userbase and sales on legit platforms prove the opposite. Game piracy generally isn't what it used to be now that we're dealing with 100-200GB releases and various forms of always online DRM, especially Xbox/MS UWP which is rarely cracked and more hassle than it's worth even when it is.

No they probably won't do any of this but it wouldn't be that complicated or comparable to a PS3 running linux imo
Aug 20, 2009
7857 posts
2708 upvotes
Grimsby
ReeGee wrote: Ya i'm just thinking out loud for fun and discussion here and don't really think that would happen. That said the PS3 running Linux on its wonky proprietary specs isn't remotely comparable to the potential practical use of a current MS console capable of running Windows 10 imo. The piracy concern is like saying anyone playing games on Windows 10 right now is a pirate while the userbase and sales on legit platforms prove the opposite. Game piracy generally isn't what it used to be now that we're dealing with 100-200GB releases and various forms of always online DRM, especially Xbox/MS UWP which is rarely cracked and more hassle than it's worth even when it is.

No they probably won't do any of this but it wouldn't be that complicated or comparable to a PS3 running linux imo
The compatibility concerns with hardware alone are outrageous, let alone supporting it and worrying about software as well. Think about the entire supply chain of hardware and associated software/drivers. There's a reason Windows 10 was hacked up and modified for the Xbox One and Series X. They wanted a very small subset of devices to support to keep it lean and stable. And piracy is still very much A Thing, UWP games are routinely cracked (Flight Simulator for example) and pirates have big pipes and don't care about space or bandwidth allocations. Look at what happened to the Switch with a single hardware based exploit. Microsoft and Sony would be absolutely insane to voluntarily open up the boot loader. The existence of legitimate sales does not mean that piracy does not exist, nor does it mean that companies stop caring about it.

And the upside of even attempting that is...access to a dying HTPC market that has been supplanted by STBs and cellphones. I mean listen, would it be cool to have a Surface style Xbox PC? I guess. It would probably only run UWP apps though and support a very limited hardware subset which sort of defeats the purpose.

Anyways it's never going to happen so there is little point in us debating it. I think eventually all of these companies will be forced to open up their platforms but who knows what that will look like.

We have our Xbox prices finally. Hopefully Sony follows suit soon.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4389 posts
1353 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote: And the upside of even attempting that is...access to a dying HTPC market that has been supplanted by STBs and cellphones. I mean listen, would it be cool to have a Surface style Xbox PC? I guess. It would probably only run UWP apps though and support a very limited hardware subset which sort of defeats the purpose.
Somewhat related to @ReeGee's thinking though is that thought that it wouldn't be difficult for MS to pivot to gaming PCs if they really wanted to. If they've already got the architecture down, with solid manufacturing processes in the Surface/Surface Book/Surface Studio line of devices, what's stopping them from creating a Surface Gaming line of PCs? They've probably already got the necessary deals in place to save on costs for hardware anyway... And it would be another way to capture more of the gaming market.

Really the only thing that would halt all this is MS' business side, which probably looks at their devices as ways to propagate Office 365 and other moneymaking products and services, and gaming is likely far from their minds.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1