• Sep 12th, 2021 2:20 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1211 posts
314 upvotes
Vancouver

Gutter downspout noise

There's some water dripping noise as the water hits the elbow of the downspout.

I inserted a sponge into the downspout gutter, and the noise went away.

1. Would it cause clog in my downspout gutter?
2. Would the sponge developed mold?

Any better solutions?
7 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22042 posts
8454 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Yes.
Yes.
It will also impede flow.

You can try a plastic elbow. Not sure if it will help but should not be an expensive experiment.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
6075 posts
4365 upvotes
Better solution : close your window when it rains. The sponge will modify the flow, making a waterfall from the gutter during heavy rain risking water infiltration under the first shingles row
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
1829 posts
2321 upvotes
I had a similar problem, and put a small piece of carpet at the elbow. Note: This is right where the elbow opens up from the main roof onto a small stub roof below, so it is always accessible.

- It hasn't created a clog over several years,
- It may slip out,
- Properly located gutters will NOT backup into the 1st row of shingles, the gutters should overflow first - which can happen during an extreme downpour.

Yes, this a classic DYI solution that is amateurish but effective.

Closing the window isn't a reasonable solution - it just makes it impossible to sleep from heat vs repetitive noise.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1211 posts
314 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks, I think i am going to do something similar and replace the sponge with weather stripping foam (which i have some left) and is a lot smaller (see below).

https://www.amazon.ca/Stripping-Windows ... 13&sr=8-11

Do you replace your carpet inside the downspout every year to clean up the mold?

Will check the extension length of the downspout to ensure it is away from the shingles. My roof has built-in fascia gutter, so there is ice and water membrane underneath the shingles near the gutter, which should offer water leak protection even if small amount of water backflow into the first row of shingles.

The gutter downspout is attached to the head side of the bed......so we can still hear the noise even after we close the window.
robsaw wrote: I had a similar problem, and put a small piece of carpet at the elbow. Note: This is right where the elbow opens up from the main roof onto a small stub roof below, so it is always accessible.

- It hasn't created a clog over several years,
- It may slip out,
- Properly located gutters will NOT backup into the 1st row of shingles, the gutters should overflow first - which can happen during an extreme downpour.

Yes, this a classic DYI solution that is amateurish but effective.

Closing the window isn't a reasonable solution - it just makes it impossible to sleep from heat vs repetitive noise.