Home & Garden

Gutters replacement at home - what to look for?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2020 9:30 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
7131 posts
3542 upvotes
Montreal

Gutters replacement at home - what to look for?

My aluminium gutters are getting old, they are not fixed well to the house, they are with nails and they leak at a couple of places, one being just above the side entrance..

I wanted to install Alu-Rex Clip N Guard – Gutter System on them, but my roofer recommended me calling someone else to change gutters instead.

I have gutters on all sides of house, total 132 feet ( 42 X 2 and 24 X 2 ). 2000 square foot of roof. I have a pretty "sharp" roof.

I am looking for information about new gutters to be able to know what is important or not, when I will get quotes from installers pretty soon.

Questions:
1) How did you decide between 5 inch and 6 inch gutters? 6 inch worth it ?
2) What to look for ?
3) Any reference / approximation on cost, to compare with quotes I will get ? I am thinking around $1,500.

On my list:
- 5 inch k-style gutters (unless 6 inch is worth it)
- 0.032 inch gauge heavy duty thickness aluminium (instead of 0.027 inch)
- seamless gutters (instead of box-store by section)
- invisible hanger system (no nails)
- no more leaves in gutters with some kind of screen

Interesting sites in my research (no affiliation with them...)
http://www.askthebuilder.com/aluminum-g ... -seamless/
http://www.improvenet.com/r/costs-and-p ... um-gutters

Thank you.
24 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4232 posts
871 upvotes
Ottawa
Eavestrough contractors will always use seamless; they make it in a trailer they bring to site.

The steepness of your roof is called pitch. An experienced contractor will know what size of gutter to use given the pitch and area of the roof being drained and the effect that a screen or "gutter helmet" will have on water flow.

Make sure downspouts at the bottom are extended at least six feet away from your house, and not located in areas where people could trip over them or draining water could freeze on a walkway or driveway, away from doors and basement windows.

Make sure the installer uses kickout flashing at ends and inside corners to avoid heavy rainfall from pouring over the edge of the roof.

Drains from a high roof across a lower roof need to be piped the whole way across the lower roof to avoid excessive erosion of shingles.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2167 posts
676 upvotes
Montreal
MacGyver wrote:
Thanks, that's a great informative post.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4265 posts
1508 upvotes
WFH
$1500 with gutter guard is a fair price to be targeting. Up sizing to 6" will cost you another ~$1K and your roof area is nowhere near justifying this extra capacity. If anyone offers or suggest 6" strike them off your list of potential contractors.

Heavier guage will resist buckling when someone puts a ladder against it. Seamless (formed on site) is the standard for anyone doing this full time. Hangers instead of nails are much stronger and will result in less issues in future.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
7131 posts
3542 upvotes
Montreal
Thanks for information / replies !
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
7131 posts
3542 upvotes
Montreal
Seems like I am the only client asking for specifications about the gutters used when I get a quote. :razz:

I was asking for details and some were surprised by the type of questions I asked.

Thank you RFD effect :D
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4265 posts
1508 upvotes
WFH
cashinstinct wrote: ...some were surprised by the type of questions I asked.
Nope, just good salesmen. They understand the psychology behind making a sale - make the customer feel smart, informed and in control.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
7131 posts
3542 upvotes
Montreal
dirtmover wrote: Nope, just good salesmen. They understand the psychology behind making a sale - make the customer feel smart, informed and in control.
did not work with me, sounded like idiots :razz
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16718 posts
9493 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I, too, am thinking about replacing my gutters as well as putting in some leaf guard type system. In my research, I found a Consumer's Report article on leaf guard type systems and their best value buy was the Amerimax Hinged Steel Gutter Cover. In Canada, Lowes carries it - https://www.lowes.ca/gutter-parts-and-a ... 33273.html - for $12.99 to cover 15 feet. Currently, it's on sale for $11.04. From what I've found, it's been well reviewed and the price is reasonable - here's a link to the Amazon.com listing for reviews - https://www.amazon.com/Amerimax-Hinged- ... 0N07Z6FM9G
Jan 18, 2007
338 posts
26 upvotes
craftsman wrote: I, too, am thinking about replacing my gutters as well as putting in some leaf guard type system. In my research, I found a Consumer's Report article on leaf guard type systems and their best value buy was the Amerimax Hinged Steel Gutter Cover. In Canada, Lowes carries it - https://www.lowes.ca/gutter-parts-and-a ... 33273.html - for $12.99 to cover 15 feet. Currently, it's on sale for $11.04. From what I've found, it's been well reviewed and the price is reasonable - here's a link to the Amazon.com listing for reviews - https://www.amazon.com/Amerimax-Hinged- ... 0N07Z6FM9G
I was once told that leaves may still accumulate on top of leaf guard, get wet/decompose/turn to sludge and clog the guard, making the gutters useless. In other words you still need to worry about cleaning the leaf guards. Not sure how often that happens or how true that statement is - sounds reasonable to me.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16718 posts
9493 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
budric wrote: I was once told that leaves may still accumulate on top of leaf guard, get wet/decompose/turn to sludge and clog the guard, making the gutters useless. In other words you still need to worry about cleaning the leaf guards. Not sure how often that happens or how true that statement is - sounds reasonable to me.
These guards are different in that they are bowed upwards so they should allow any collected leaves to dry out and blow off the guard as the mesh should let the wind carry the leaves. As a bonus, these are hinged so it should be a simple matter of flip the section up and then flipping the section back down.

I can understand the 'install into the gutter' leaf guards as they are bowed into the gutter making a natural indentation for the leaves to collect. To add insult to injury, the wind can't travel through the guard to blow them off causing them to collect.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
7131 posts
3542 upvotes
Montreal
Thanks everyone. Ended up getting and installed for $1,460 +taxes in Montreal area :

- 5 inch k-style gutters
- 0.032 inch gauge heavy duty thickness aluminium
- 3 downsprouts (3X4 size) extended at least six feet away
- t-rex 5200 gutter guard / hangers
Apr 19, 2012
237 posts
32 upvotes
GTA
I'm being quoted $2400 in the GTA for 247ft of eaves and 120ft of downspouts. 5ft k style eaves with 3x4 downspouts. No leaf guard... this seems very high compared to the above?

The leaf guard system is $3.50/ft.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
7131 posts
3542 upvotes
Montreal
I don't know the prices in GTA, but in Montreal I got 3 quotes under $1,500 for around 150 ft of eaves with leaf guard system and 45 ft of downsprout.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
26627 posts
3545 upvotes
Montreal
cashinstinct wrote: Thanks everyone. Ended up getting and installed for $1,460 +taxes in Montreal area :

- 5 inch k-style gutters
- 0.032 inch gauge heavy duty thickness aluminium
- 3 downsprouts (3X4 size) extended at least six feet away
- t-rex 5200 gutter guard / hangers
Who was your contractor?
Jul 15, 2009
67 posts
3 upvotes
Saint-Laurent
Please give me your constructor ,

Thanks
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1456 upvotes
Richmond
craftsman wrote: These guards are different in that they are bowed upwards so they should allow any collected leaves to dry out and blow off the guard as the mesh should let the wind carry the leaves.
You live in Vancouver, and you're speaking of the theoretical possibility of fall leaves drying out and blowing off your gutter guard? What Vancouver do you live in? Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Jan 9, 2020
1 posts
Toronto
hey guys just joined, I know that this is kinda of an old thread but it something that I need as I bought a townhouse in Toronto recently and it seems like it needs gutter replacements (they were concrete and there are cracks) so I am looking for good contractors and advise.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
4130 posts
2941 upvotes
Toronto
landy5277 wrote: hey guys just joined, I know that this is kinda of an old thread but it something that I need as I bought a townhouse in Toronto recently and it seems like it needs gutter replacements (they were concrete and there are cracks) so I am looking for good contractors and advise.
try homestars
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16727 posts
6954 upvotes
landy5277 wrote: hey guys just joined, I know that this is kinda of an old thread but it something that I need as I bought a townhouse in Toronto recently and it seems like it needs gutter replacements (they were concrete and there are cracks) so I am looking for good contractors and advise.
You'll get more attention by making a new thread I think - just use an informative title and people will try to help. Being in the GTA you should be able to get some recommendations.