Guy fell on neighbors property and is sueing me

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2020 8:19 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
195 upvotes
Markham, ON
Funny, that people are saying bad things about lawyers. You cannot be a judge unless you have experience working as a lawyer.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1050 posts
492 upvotes
Just like teachers, doctors, engineers and other professions, there are good and bad lawyers.

What most people find difficult to respect is that many of these professions do not seem to realize that their professions affect people and not addressing or speaking up about ethical failings of their membership results in poor public trust in those professions.

You certainly do not need to have worked at a lawyer to tell right from wrong, but lack of trust due to unaddressed and shady responses to ethical failures has encouraged society to judge too soon and too often these days (or sometimes not nearly enough!).
Poppwl wrote: Funny, that people are saying bad things about lawyers. You cannot be a judge unless you have experience working as a lawyer.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7452 posts
3565 upvotes
Chickennbeans wrote: Just like teachers, doctors, engineers and other professions, there are good and bad lawyers.

What most people find difficult to respect is that many of these professions do not seem to realize that their professions affect people and not addressing or speaking up about ethical failings of their membership results in poor public trust in those professions.

You certainly do not need to have worked at a lawyer to tell right from wrong, but lack of trust due to unaddressed and shady responses to ethical failures has encouraged society to judge too soon and too often these days (or sometimes not nearly enough!).
Another problem with the law industry (in BC anyways) is that the profession, like realtors, is SELF-REGULATED. This leads to all kinds of problems when it comes to complaints, violations, etc. What is the incentive for the regulating body to properly discipline themselves? In theory, oversight is supposed to hold a profession to the highest standard but not sure how much faith the public have when they are their own overseers.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2008
1105 posts
465 upvotes
daivey wrote: i agree.. so much BS out there and fakes and phonies looking for free score... bunch of asshats.
99% of lawyers, give the rest a bad name
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7452 posts
3565 upvotes
junkmail2002 wrote: 99% of lawyers, give the rest a bad name
It's true. I had to interview 99 before I found a good one, the last time I needed one. I am exaggerating but I probably called 10 before I found the one that had the intelligence, integrity and skill that I needed. Surprisingly, he was one of the more affordable lawyers and when hired him, I learned that his opponents were a little fearful of him because I think he earned a reputation for being successful in his cases and highly cogent with his arguments.
[OP]
Mar 5, 2017
36 posts
114 upvotes
OP here.

I have a deposition monday via Zoom. The opposing lawyer will be questioning me. I am waffling back and forth between telling the lawyer off and being a real pain in the ass or being a good little boy and just answering her questions. I will definately let her know that I am furious about this. I think that anyone in my position would have a right to be. How strongly I communicate this is left to be seen.

Why am I pissed? At this point everyone has seen the security video of the jackass walking onto my property. Jackass has seen it, his lawyer has seen it, my lawyer has seen it, but still this continues...

Jackasses deposition is in December
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7452 posts
3565 upvotes
heynow9991 wrote: OP here.

I have a deposition monday via Zoom. The opposing lawyer will be questioning me. I am waffling back and forth between telling the lawyer off and being a real pain in the ass or being a good little boy and just answering her questions. I will definately let her know that I am furious about this. I think that anyone in my position would have a right to be. How strongly I communicate this is left to be seen.

Why am I pissed? At this point everyone has seen the security video of the jackass walking onto my property. Jackass has seen it, his lawyer has seen it, my lawyer has seen it, but still this continues...

I detest the unpredictability of court cases because even if you are in the right, there is no guarantee of justice. I wish you the best of luck and can only suggest to do your best. I think being truthful and honest is best but that is just my humble opinion.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12094 posts
3405 upvotes
GTA
Thanks for the update OP. It's mind boggling how this has gone this far.
May the force be with you.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Feb 2, 2011
382 posts
427 upvotes
I Agree.
Thank You, @heynow9991.
I Appreciate Your Continuous Updates For 3+ Years...
Keep Fighting The Good Fight !!!
:arrowd: It only takes a few seconds to "THUMBS UP" before leaving! Much Appreciated :)
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2517 posts
2148 upvotes
Montreal
Did you ask your lawyer if you're allowed to record the deposition yourself? (Just to make it easier to remember what was asked)

If everyone, including the opposing counsel, agrees that the event happened on someone else's property, how does your lawyer explain that you haven't been dropped from the case?

Did you bring in your snow removal company as a party?

What is the million dollar for? Pain and suffering? Lost wages? Punitive damages?

Thanks for the regular updates.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13379 posts
8347 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
now let us see the video of this jackass.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1050 posts
492 upvotes
Honestly, the best way to make these people feel bad (and certainly look bad) is to be overly nice to them. Make sure you extend them every courtesy possible. Then when you sue their ass off, they look like the biggest jack a's.

Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
1298 posts
386 upvotes
Antarctica
The people being very childish in this thread and trying to dump on the OP sound butthurt because their scam got exposed to a few more people on a public forum.

Tail-ender-scammers, slip-and-fall-actors, and so on are the scum of our society. I wish they rightly get their due share of misery in return. I have seen a scammer actually get injured seriously without any compensation after the trial concluded that he did it as part of the scam ring and I would say he got what he deserved.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1262 posts
576 upvotes
Ontario
Canada is a one party consent country, and if your part of the conversation you can record it.

GL OP hope you win and get compensation for them dragging it out for so long unnecessarily...
Last edited by IcarusLSC on Oct 12th, 2020 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5244 posts
3798 upvotes
Edmonton

How did it go?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)