• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2020 11:07 am
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
4893 posts
368 upvotes
Ancaster
heynow9991 wrote: OP here

Yea, Why would I pay them anything? They are pretty much trying to con my insurance company out of a million dollars. Why the hell would I want that to happen? What do you think will happen to my rates? How old are you? Im just sitting here shaking my head.

I have no updates.

So far I have collected all the evidence, contacted all the witnessess and gotten to the point where I was talking to the opposing lawyer, who was basically saying we are going to release you from the suit. Then I changed tactics because I had a lawyer assigned to me by my insurance company, and I told the opposing lawyer I needed advice before I make any moves. So I tell all this to my lawyer and guess what, nothing happens. All I needed to do to end this is go show them my evidence and they would go away. That is what I should have done. Instead I wait, with this hanging over my head. Its been more than 2 months since I almost had this wrapped up and no updates from my lawyer.
It's good that you didn't hand over the video. I'm not sure it would have ended it for you.

Imagine being a plaintiff and being offered evidence relevant to your case, under full consent, outside of the controlled setting of a discovery. It's potentially a freebie to further strengthen/focus your case.

Let the lawyers handle it. You're at a huge risk of doing something (inadvertently) to sink your own ship here.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6703 posts
2994 upvotes
At this point wouldn't the statute of limitations have expired?
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
12576 posts
7458 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Op fled the country.
Last seen Jul 27, 2018 12:59 PM
choclover wrote: At this point wouldn't the statute of limitations have expired?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Mar 5, 2017
31 posts
93 upvotes
OP here. we are having discovery in March, 2020. it will be very interesting. Does anyone know if I can video the discovery?
Sep 20, 2010
176 posts
215 upvotes
Hamilton
Just subscribed after reading this whole thread.
Oct 11, 2013
98 posts
18 upvotes
Almost American
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Op fled the country.
Last seen Jul 27, 2018 12:59 PM
LOL as he should. Someone slips on Ice because Canada is made of ice. OP out millions now.

What a great country to live in.
Nov 14, 2004
893 posts
235 upvotes
I don't think I've ever read a 9+ page thread on RFD before this one lol

If there are any takeaways thus far it's that you never come here for legal advice. Or any advice for that matter. The type of people this site attracts LOL

Good luck OP!
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
194 upvotes
Markham, ON
Dear OP,

I sort of wish you let the other side make a claim through your insurance company.

It's funny that they asked for a million dollars. Did they even breakdown of why they want a million dollars?

Did you think about what you want if you win?

If I was in your position, I want this matter to be over. I would want my legal costs to be covered and other reasonable expenses spend trying to show them that they has no case against you.

I would skip over all those malicious stuff. That would be another case.

For now, the issue is, are you responsible for the slip and fall and you repeatedly said you are not.

If the court agrees that you are not responsible, you might be able to get some money back to cover lawyer fees and other reasonable expenses. Keep a record of all of your expenses so you can easily let your lawyer know how much you spent on this case so far.

If you don't choose to settle outside of court, a judgement will have to be prepared
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2011
1797 posts
424 upvotes
Ottawa
In the future, maybe just hire a lawyer from day #1 to respond. Give him/her the summary of what's happened and the evidence you have, then let the lawyers handle the communication between themselves.

Ask somebody more qualified, but these legal fees would probably be a tax deductible too.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
1577 posts
1025 upvotes
FreezingCanada wrote: In the future, maybe just hire a lawyer from day #1 to respond. Give him/her the summary of what's happened and the evidence you have, then let the lawyers handle the communication between themselves.

Ask somebody more qualified, but these legal fees would probably be a tax deductible too.
OP didn’t choose their lawyer, the legal fees are being paid by their liability insurance.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2011
1797 posts
424 upvotes
Ottawa
IEpicDestroyer wrote: OP didn’t choose their lawyer, the legal fees are being paid by their liability insurance.
I know, he will should have gotten his own to begin with.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6703 posts
2994 upvotes
IEpicDestroyer wrote: OP didn’t choose their lawyer, the legal fees are being paid by their liability insurance.
Reminds me of someone I know who got sued (as a business) and then their insurance company hired a lawyer in bad faith to make things difficult for the client (the insured). Then the person I knew had to hire their own lawyer on their dime to fight with the insurance company. Those insurance companies can be really sneaky. As you are providing them with evidence to help them fight your fight, they can turn the evidence around and try to use it to fight the person they are insuring instead of the person who is suing. There really needs to be exposure out there about the shenanigans these insurance companies pull.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11945 posts
3278 upvotes
GTA
choclover wrote: Reminds me of someone I know who got sued (as a business) and then their insurance company hired a lawyer in bad faith to make things difficult for the client (the insured). Then the person I knew had to hire their own lawyer on their dime to fight with the insurance company.
If these lawyers had any ethics at all, then they wouldn't even entertain screwing the insured person. But it's all about the $$$. I have seen first hand how scummy lawyers can be, not saying all of them btw. Even saw one flat out lie to a judge.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)