Automotive

Guy rear-ends me, refuses to give info, then takes off.

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2019 7:32 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2006
1263 posts
367 upvotes
Toronto

Guy rear-ends me, refuses to give info, then takes off.

Just wanted to share this story.

Driving work truck, stopped at a red light, got hit from behind by a cargo van, nothing major but it was audibly noticable and shook the truck a bit, barely any damage but since it was a company vehicle, I couldn't let it go and had to cover my ass.

Dude refused to exchange info, refused to give me his name or number, threatened to call the cops to blame me for the accident, then took off after I started to call the police myself. Luckily I got a picture of his van, plate, and of him.

Reported the incident at the collision centre and the cops there said they'd send a unit that night. That idiot turned a nothingburger into something much worse. Idiot.
54 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5875 posts
1255 upvotes
Montreal
This happened recently.

My friend was in rush hour traffic on the Met in Montreal and was apparently clipped by someone who was trying to get ahead of him in his lane. The contact was so slight that he wasn't even sure it happened. Both drivers kept going. A day later he saw some paint from the other car on his bumper and basically just wiped it off.

A month later, he gets a summons in the mail. When he called to find out what it was all about, he was told that the other driver had complained that he had hit-and-run. In my friend's view, he had been the one who had been hit and not the reverse. As the court date approached, he received a call from the court that, if he loses his case, he would lose 8 points on his driving record, a stiff fine, and a possible license suspension. Alternatively, he could pay a ticket of of $308 for tailgating and just lose 2 points.

He was pretty upset but still wanted to fight it. He's over 80 years old and was concerned that they could rule to take away his license and then he would have to stop working. In the end, he accepted their settlement.

Anyway, the moral is make sure you get your complaint in ASAP.
Phils
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1781 posts
504 upvotes
this is how the world is turning sorry to hear OP. I was talking to my Gf the other day about this you dont call the Cop unless theres 2000.00 damage to a car , so say i hit a car he and they say its 3000.00 damage and i say its NAh its only 1000.00 dollar damage when do we call the cops? wonder why more people are just leaving the scene of the accident dont have to call the cops so i dont have to stay here either (unless car is not driveable) .
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13773 posts
8811 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Dude might be driving without insurance.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3299 posts
1637 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Dude might be driving without insurance.
^This, or he might be driving a company vehicle without permission. Call your work insurance company, start a claim, and send in the pictures as proof of evidence.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6595 posts
6265 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Destroy him, but also send a christmas card.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35227 posts
21211 upvotes
Center of Universe
shawn01 wrote: this is how the world is turning sorry to hear OP. I was talking to my Gf the other day about this you dont call the Cop unless theres 2000.00 damage to a car , so say i hit a car he and they say its 3000.00 damage and i say its NAh its only 1000.00 dollar damage when do we call the cops? wonder why more people are just leaving the scene of the accident dont have to call the cops so i dont have to stay here either (unless car is not driveable) .
In ON, you're supposed to go to the nearest collision centre, if the vehicle is driveable.
Only call emergency if someone is injured or it's a very serious collision that is impeding traffic.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9653 posts
1691 upvotes
Just say he was threatening you and call that cops. Get a good photo shot at this face and license plate is good enough to convict.
Sep 25, 2018
659 posts
1204 upvotes
Same thing happened to relative, guy drive into stopped traffic at 70km/h, totalling relative's car, and took off before anyone could react. The dashcam footage was not clear enough to show anything because the guy took off so fast.

Luckily police tracked him down so the insurance waived the deductible.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15648 posts
16799 upvotes
Oakville
Phils wrote: This happened recently.

My friend was in rush hour traffic on the Met in Montreal and was apparently clipped by someone who was trying to get ahead of him in his lane. The contact was so slight that he wasn't even sure it happened. Both drivers kept going. A day later he saw some paint from the other car on his bumper and basically just wiped it off.

A month later, he gets a summons in the mail. When he called to find out what it was all about, he was told that the other driver had complained that he had hit-and-run. In my friend's view, he had been the one who had been hit and not the reverse. As the court date approached, he received a call from the court that, if he loses his case, he would lose 8 points on his driving record, a stiff fine, and a possible license suspension. Alternatively, he could pay a ticket of of $308 for tailgating and just lose 2 points.

He was pretty upset but still wanted to fight it. He's over 80 years old and was concerned that they could rule to take away his license and then he would have to stop working. In the end, he accepted their settlement.

OP, suggest your company install front/rear dashcams. Cheap insurance.

Did the other guy have any evidence/video? Otherwise there's no reason to believe he didn't just pick a random car to accuse.

AlicW93740 wrote: Same thing happened to relative, guy drive into stopped traffic at 70km/h, totalling relative's car, and took off before anyone could react. The dashcam footage was not clear enough to show anything because the guy took off so fast.

Luckily police tracked him down so the insurance waived the deductible.
No way he drove off after 70kph impact. Just have slowed down before impact. Glad to hear he was caught.
Jun 12, 2009
840 posts
283 upvotes
You did the right thing OP. Can't let that go as it will likely enable him to repeat this behavior.

Most important, and difficult, part is to remain in control of your emotions. Most people are reasonable once the Adrenalin level drops, but some are not. These are the folks we have to deal with the way you did.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6112 posts
4728 upvotes
gizmo8 wrote: Invest $400 and buy a front and rear camera.Its worth the security of knowing you have video proof.I told my better half if she ever gets into a accident pull out the camera phone and start recording and if the other person tries and stop her threaten them with assault charges.There are lots of people out there that isn't insured,high on drugs,driving without permission of the owner,not license or suspended.
Good point for general people, whole different level of discussion when it's a company truck.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19870 posts
7989 upvotes
Toronto
Have a dash cam and report all incidents even if apparently tiny. You never know how the other party can turn something seemingly superficial into a life changing incident. This is what scams are made of.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, Simplii
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12070 posts
6955 upvotes
Markham

The lesson here for everyone including myself ...even if damage may be negligible, if you have a dashcam, pull the video and archive it because it will likely be recorded over within a few days or a week (depending on how big your SD card is and how much you drive).
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12070 posts
6955 upvotes
Markham
will888 wrote: Have a dash cam and report all incidents even if apparently tiny. You never know how the other party can turn something seemingly superficial into a life changing incident. This is what scams are made of.
If damage is negligible and if you go to collision reporting to report a hit and run, doesn't the insurance company 'mark' your file despite no claim being made?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5875 posts
1255 upvotes
Montreal
gr8dlr wrote: If damage is negligible and if you go to collision reporting to report a hit and run, doesn't the insurance company 'mark' your file despite no claim being made?
With my insurance company, just calling them to inquire about what to do constitutes a claim even if it doesn't have anything to pay.
Phils
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2754 posts
2032 upvotes
Toronto
Phils wrote: With my insurance company, just calling them to inquire about what to do constitutes a claim even if it doesn't have anything to pay.
And here I thought Ontario was bad.

The guy had a few to drink probably and took off, not to generalize but many in cargo van's and construction workers in general have a few during the work day.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15648 posts
16799 upvotes
Oakville
Xtrema wrote: Good point for general people, whole different level of discussion when it's a company truck.
Why is it any different for a company vehicle? Also, no need to spend $400. $100 for a front /rear setup is plenty good enough.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15648 posts
16799 upvotes
Oakville
Xtrema wrote: Be careful where you point those cameras and have a solid policy to handle data or you may be infringing on your employees privacy.

https://www.todaystrucking.com/will-in- ... hallenges/
Looks like that's referring to pointing the camera at the driver. I don't think anyone does that, unless you're using a pricey 360 degree camera. Though I could certainly understand if a company wanted to know if a driver was driving distracted.