Off Topic

Guy who wielded a baseball bat in St. Thomas assault that sent someone to hospital is a Toronto Lawyer

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2018 1:22 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15195 posts
4862 upvotes
Here 'n There

Guy who wielded a baseball bat in St. Thomas assault that sent someone to hospital is a Toronto Lawyer

Wow, this story is weird. It was all over the news just a few days ago: St. Thomas woman describes disturbing baseball-bat assault that hospitalized husband

So tonight it was revealed that the guy with the bat is a Toronto Lawyer named Mark Phillips who works for Barapp Law in Toronto as a personal injury lawyer (well he did up until this happened as his name is now off the law firm website). They showed a video on the news from before this happened of him being interviewed in a suit about how he helps his clients. I guess he took his profession too much to heart and was not only chasing ambulances to acquire clients but also creating the injuries himself!

No doubt he went squirrely.
38 replies
Aug 7, 2014
563 posts
233 upvotes
His great grandfather, Nathan Philips, was the former mayor of toronto and is the namesake of Nathan Phillips Square, located outside Toronto city hall.

He will likely be disciplined by the law society, for conduct unbecoming of a lawyer, and may be disbarred.

His profile in Linkdin
https://ca.linkedin.com/in/mark-phillips-b7a42a74
Last edited by psudolam on Dec 13th, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4297 posts
2660 upvotes
Burnaby
eonibm wrote: Guy who wielded a baseball bat in St. Thomas assault that sent someone to hospital is a Toronto Lawyer

Wow, this story is weird. It was all over the news just a few days ago: St. Thomas woman describes disturbing baseball-bat assault that hospitalized husband

So tonight it was revealed that the guy with the bat is a Toronto Lawyer named Mark Phillips who works for Barapp Law in Toronto as a personal injury lawyer (well he did up until this happened as his name is now off the law firm website). They showed a video on the news from before this happened of him being interviewed in a suit about how he helps his clients. I guess he took his profession too much to heart and was not only chasing ambulances to acquire clients but also creating the injuries himself!

No doubt he went squirrely.

yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion advertising]
Insert here list of companies with referral programs
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5629 posts
2199 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
Wow, he really let go of himself , look at his work profile image compared to the video. Perhaps there is some mental health issues going on?:

His bio:
ABOUT MARK PHILLIPS
Mark Phillips is a determined personal injury lawyer who is devoted to helping personal injury victims receive the compensation they deserve.

Mark graduated with distinction from the University of Toronto with an Honours Bachelor of Arts degree. He attended Queen’s University Faculty of Law, and in the year 2007, he was awarded his LL.B degree. He was called to the Ontario Bar in 2008.

Prior to joining Barapp Law, Mark worked with top personal injury law firms, serving clients throughout Ontario. In 2014, he joined Barapp Law and is an integral member of the team. Mark is a tireless advocate for his clients’ interests. He has a solid reputation as a highly skilled negotiator who achieves excellent results for his clients.

Mark has gained substantial exposure to all areas of litigation practice. He continues to help his clients in the following practice areas:

Motor Vehicle Accidents, Slip and Falls, Municipality Liability, Disability claims and Occupiers’ Liability Claims.

Mark extends his services to clients living in the cities of Toronto, Barrie, Whitby, Mississauga, Hamilton, Kitchener, Markham, Guelph, Brampton, London, Peterborough and Sudbury.

Mark is a huge sports fan. When he’s not watching the upcoming game, he spends his time reading, watching movies, and travelling.
Last edited by dealseaker101 on Dec 14th, 2017 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
42562 posts
5943 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Turns out he is the great grandson of prominent toronto family & former toronto mayor "nathan philips".
Thats who they named city hall after!

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/lond ... -1.4446289

His best friend since childhood is Chinese! He even hooked him up with a career as a paralegal!
Last edited by UrbanPoet on Dec 14th, 2017 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15195 posts
4862 upvotes
Here 'n There
I wonder how the law firm he works/worked at is going to be affected by this. Perhaps there was a hidden camera and it was really a photo shoot for their new commercial about why you might need a personal injury lawyer...

Here he is 3rd from the left. You'd think they would have gotten the Photoshop out by now and removed him from the picture!

Mark Phillips, Barapp Law: "I not not only am a personal injury lawyer but I can create your injury too!"

Barrap Law.png
Last edited by eonibm on Dec 14th, 2017 8:34 am, edited 7 times in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3078 posts
1235 upvotes
Montreal
A personal injury lawyer, injuring random people with a baseball bat, who doesn't know the difference between Spanish and French and thinks ISIS is connected with the aforementioned communities... LOL

Who said education is representative of someone's intelligence?
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
18617 posts
3253 upvotes
Toronto
eonibm wrote: Barrap Law.png
What a colorful cast of characters
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2701 posts
1358 upvotes
I think people are doing what they do best, jumping to conclusions. We don't know his side of the story. Come on people, you know better. How many times have people trolled others, turning their camera on to capture ONLY the other side misbehaving.

Anecdotally, I remember getting dropped off at Pearson Airport and witnessing a mild verbal confrontation between a taxi driver and a person picking up someone. The cab driver, who appeared Muslim by his garb, started to taunt the person by saying "my religion allows me to do X or Y." He was essentially baiting the person to say something racist against Islam.
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
9902 posts
651 upvotes
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote: I think people are doing what they do best, jumping to conclusions. We don't know his side of the story. Come on people, you know better. How many times have people trolled others, turning their camera on to capture ONLY the other side misbehaving.

Anecdotally, I remember getting dropped off at Pearson Airport and witnessing a mild verbal confrontation between a taxi driver and a person picking up someone. The cab driver, who appeared Muslim by his garb, started to taunt the person by saying "my religion allows me to do X or Y." He was essentially baiting the person to say something racist against Islam.
He hit another man with a baseball bat 3 times. A family who has nothing to do with what he is saying. According to the victim, he tried to hit the 13 yr old kid and his dad stepped in. This man tried to hit a minor with a baseball bat.

Quit making up some random story that has nothing to do with the thread.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2010
1300 posts
645 upvotes
Ajax, ON
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote: I think people are doing what they do best, jumping to conclusions. We don't know his side of the story. Come on people, you know better. How many times have people trolled others, turning their camera on to capture ONLY the other side misbehaving
How ironic, you mean like things that you can not prove but people believe anyways, like for example the illuminati conspiracy theory? Come one Micelli...you know better
May 5, 2012
156 posts
82 upvotes
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote: I think people are doing what they do best, jumping to conclusions. We don't know his side of the story. Come on people, you know better. How many times have people trolled others, turning their camera on to capture ONLY the other side misbehaving.
Yes, we do not know if the other guy was misbehaving (verbally) before and even if so, we do know that the other guy was beaten up with a baseball bat. When was the last time you argued with someone and you need to beat him up with a baseball bat?

As a lawyer, he should know better.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2701 posts
1358 upvotes
kevindurant1 wrote: He hit another man with a baseball bat 3 times. A family who has nothing to do with what he is saying. According to the victim, he tried to hit the 13 yr old kid and his dad stepped in. This man tried to hit a minor with a baseball bat.

Quit making up some random story that has nothing to do with the thread.
The hitting three times was not captured on video (at least I did not see it). You seem to be following the narrative of the complainant, without having heard the accused's side. But that is none of my business.
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
18617 posts
3253 upvotes
Toronto

The most likely explanation is that he has schizophrenia or a similar issue and went off his meds for a bit. It fits the same pattern as what happened with Rohinie Bisesar (educated respectable person who suddenly did something violent and out of character). This Latino family probably just came across him at exactly the wrong time.