• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2020 1:54 am
Deal Addict
May 31, 2006
1499 posts
359 upvotes
Richmond, BC
Great deal, thanks OP!

I head this year they might be bigger as the season was delayed.

T&T was like $34.88/pound I believe so this is a killer deal
May 18, 2020
3 posts
13 upvotes
Used code oceans5 for 5% off - 5 lbs for $85.50, cash on delivery

Can't wait!
Feb 13, 2011
810 posts
190 upvotes
Vancouver
placed two orders with different date and pick up location with different coupon codes oceans3(3% off) and oceans5 (5% off) Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Jun 19, 2006
556 posts
54 upvotes
Vancouver
Hitiron wrote: Interesting, just bought from Walmart for 32/lb. might give a try for cash upon pick up option. Cannot trust with credit card yet. Thanks
Were the ones you bought Head-on or Head-off?
Jan 17, 2010
860 posts
318 upvotes
Port Coquitlam
donvaz wrote: Were the ones you bought Head-on or Head-off?
I guess 32/lb is for live spot prawns? Head-off would be horrible to me...
Dec 11, 2005
345 posts
120 upvotes
hot_potato wrote: What's the best way to eat these? Just curious..
I love just steam them and dip them in spicy garlic soy sauce.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2009
1130 posts
418 upvotes
T Dot
hot_potato wrote: What's the best way to eat these? Just curious..
i heard eating it raw is really sweet. never tried personally
Dec 17, 2006
317 posts
93 upvotes
Personally, I love them raw and squirming... taste the sea!
Jun 21, 2009
997 posts
247 upvotes
Vancouver
Salmon ain't bad for a fillet at $13.50/lbs. These fillets are far superior to most store bought.
Dec 10, 2006
815 posts
226 upvotes
Japan
If these are fresh right off the boat, and not in some supermarket's dirty tank (T&T), then you are good to go eating them raw. Twist head off, eat the tail, suck the head. You can dip some soy and wasabi if you like. The taste will be stupidly sweet. If you don't want to suck the head, then keep all the heads, boil in water and add in miso to taste. Enjoy your miso spot prawn soup.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2686 posts
969 upvotes
Kingston
Never knew what a spot prawn was...RFD is educational too!
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
1500 posts
441 upvotes
Vancouver
rageguy wrote: If these are fresh right off the boat, and not in some supermarket's dirty tank (T&T), then you are good to go eating them raw. Twist head off, eat the tail, suck the head. You can dip some soy and wasabi if you like. The taste will be stupidly sweet. If you don't want to suck the head, then keep all the heads, boil in water and add in miso to taste. Enjoy your miso spot prawn soup.
for years id go down to the dock when the boats came in and buy a few pounds, eat a bunch raw on the dock and then take the rest home to cook. Usually on the dock i could find fresh running water in a hose and id give it a little rinse right before i ate. the last time no running water, and i ended up sick pretty bad for a few days. (not saying the fresh water rinse does anything, more anecdotal than anything). So sure you can eat them right off the boat .... but be forewarned ;)
Nov 24, 2013
142 posts
68 upvotes
Burnaby
kaycee8877 wrote: for years id go down to the dock when the boats came in and buy a few pounds, eat a bunch raw on the dock and then take the rest home to cook. Usually on the dock i could find fresh running water in a hose and id give it a little rinse right before i ate. the last time no running water, and i ended up sick pretty bad for a few days. (not saying the fresh water rinse does anything, more anecdotal than anything). So sure you can eat them right off the boat .... but be forewarned ;)
i wouldn't eat them raw unless they were alive when i bought them. those boats just put throw them into ice but you don't know long they've been dead or how clean their containers are. I'm pretty snobby spot prawn eater, I buy them from supermarkets fresh up to 4 hours before dinner, throw them into a cooler with water and ice bring them home to kitchen sink with water (within 30 min drive) and usually about 50% are still alive having survived the trip (i buy up to 2 pounds). Like another poster, i just steam them (not over cook, never overcook seafood anyways) and their meat is stiff unlike the ones i buy that are already dead.