[OP]
May 11, 2009
430 posts
233 upvotes
Vancouver

[GVRD] 75Mbps Internet for $40 No Contract No Data Limit

Deal Link:
Price:
Surf Internet, similar to Teksavvy, resells Shaw internet in BC. I've been on their $40 plan for a couple years now, which got me 30 down/5 up. It looks like this price gets you 75 down / 7.5 up now. I'll be calling in to ask for this change tomorrow.

Some notes:
- sizeable upfront cost for modem and installation
- they don't do contracts, and prices should be for life
- i've had a modem die on me, and they've promptly replaced it for free
- it's a small operation they run, I believe out of Coquitlam
- you can get them if you can get Shaw cable at your place. Lower mainland only I believe.
- yes, their website is shit, but who cares if the product is good?

Previous thread about the same ISP: surf-internet-bc-lower-mainland-tv-inte ... t-1940831/
125 replies
Nov 7, 2008
455 posts
186 upvotes
Vancouver
Hmm, on the "build your own plan" page, there's an option to commit to a year of service and they'll waive the installation fee. I'm currently with Teksavvy cable 30 for $40/month, so the 75Mbps plan looks good for the same price.

I'm gonna ask them if I can use my existing Thomson/technicolor DCM475 modem with their 75Mbps and 150Mbps plans. From what research I've done, it'll probably work with 75Mbps plan.. if they allow it.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1990 posts
653 upvotes
Ottawa
One-Time Fee of $85, 5m $19.99. can I use my own modem ?
L.I.F.E. - Let It Flow Effortlessly - R. McDougal/ Isle of View
Enjoy your candle of life. May it warm you & light your way.
[OP]
May 11, 2009
430 posts
233 upvotes
Vancouver
kanata2004 wrote: One-Time Fee of $85, 5m $19.99. can I use my own modem ?
Based on the other Surf thread, it seems possible to use your own modem.
Nov 28, 2010
158 posts
47 upvotes
So I'm on Internet 30 plan for the same price of 39.99 and called a few days ago to switch to this plan. They charge $20 to change the price plan and also wanted $126+tax for me to purchase a new modem even though I bought a modem from them last year, except it's not compatible. I would love to switch but for $146 + tax I'm not sure it's worth it right now. They also told me I wasn't allowed to use my own modem. Hopefully other ISPs will be on board with this price point as well.
Aug 31, 2017
9 posts
ww wrote: So I'm on Internet 30 plan for the same price of 39.99 and called a few days ago to switch to this plan. They charge $20 to change the price plan and also wanted $126+tax for me to purchase a new modem even though I bought a modem from them last year, except it's not compatible. I would love to switch but for $146 + tax I'm not sure it's worth it right now. They also told me I wasn't allowed to use my own modem. Hopefully other ISPs will be on board with this price point as well.
Yeah I was told the same thing. If anyone is thinking of signing up for their Internet 5 or 15 give me a shout and I could sell you my modem! I'm currently on 30 thinking of upgrading to 75. The modem is from Surf themselves so I can't see them refusing to use it.
Apr 5, 2003
896 posts
249 upvotes
White Rock, BC
Will Teksavvy get these faster speeds? Been waiting for them to improve. I'm also on the 30/5 plan for $40 but don't want to go through the hassle of switching if Teksavvy is going to bump their speeds up soon anyways.
Jul 12, 2015
50 posts
10 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Do you know what kind of modem is required for this new plan?
I am currently on Internet 30 plan too and guess I am using an old modem.
Wondering if it could be cheaper to buy a new modem from anywhere else rather than buying it from SurfInternet.
Aug 25, 2010
97 posts
45 upvotes
noodles wrote: Will Teksavvy get these faster speeds? Been waiting for them to improve. I'm also on the 30/5 plan for $40 but don't want to go through the hassle of switching if Teksavvy is going to bump their speeds up soon anyways.
I use to have Teksavvy's cable 30/5 plan. I wanted to get Shaw's 150 plan so I asked Teksavvy if they will be getting new plans soon like the 150/15. They said they don't know when they'll be able to get new plans because Shaw doesn't want to negotiate with them about that.

I like Teksavvy, but I ended up switching to Shaw last month for the faster plan.
[OP]
May 11, 2009
430 posts
233 upvotes
Vancouver
Well I just called, and they said it's $126 for a new modem to get these speeds, and $20 to change the plan, just like ww reported. I asked if the $20 was something they charge or Shaw, and guy said it was Shaw, not them.
Also asked about buying my own modem, and they said you could but he wouldn't recommend it because their modems are "software provisioned" for Shaw/Surf. If you brought your own modem they'd charge you $110 to apply those software provisions - whatever that means.

Will have to think about it... $150 + tax to get upgraded was not what I was hoping for.
Feb 15, 2015
286 posts
290 upvotes
Surrey, BC
That's a good deal. I switched to can-com (shaw reseller also) last month. 60 mbps for $50 a month (it'll be upgraded for free to 75 this fall), no contract, no modem fee. Switching was really easy too.
May 12, 2008
86 posts
42 upvotes
Vancouver
I was with Surf for a year. The old modem was kinda crappy. It would crash on and off and I would have to reboot it to get internet. Otherwise for the price it's good. When I jumped back to Shaw for their internet 150 promo, Surf internet was being a little sneaky about stopping the service. I e-mailed AND called to make sure he'd stop the charge on the day the service was transferring over to Shaw and he promised over the phone it would be..... and sure enough, he didn't.

I had to e-mail and then call him again so he would stop the pre-authorize charge for the following month and pro-rate me for a refund for the days I was already with Shaw. He did stop the charge, but never gave me the refund. I got tired of chasing after him (it's a one man operation) so I just left it as is. It left a bad taste in my mouth.
Feb 16, 2017
386 posts
371 upvotes
headhunt3r wrote: Well I just called, and they said it's $126 for a new modem to get these speeds, and $20 to change the plan, just like ww reported. I asked if the $20 was something they charge or Shaw, and guy said it was Shaw, not them.
Also asked about buying my own modem, and they said you could but he wouldn't recommend it because their modems are "software provisioned" for Shaw/Surf. If you brought your own modem they'd charge you $110 to apply those software provisions - whatever that means.

Will have to think about it... $150 + tax to get upgraded was not what I was hoping for.
Probably to mess with your internet whenever/however they want. Nobody else does that as far I as know
Apr 26, 2003
957 posts
132 upvotes
Vancouver
zonda wrote: I use to have Teksavvy's cable 30/5 plan. I wanted to get Shaw's 150 plan so I asked Teksavvy if they will be getting new plans soon like the 150/15. They said they don't know when they'll be able to get new plans because Shaw doesn't want to negotiate with them about that.

I like Teksavvy, but I ended up switching to Shaw last month for the faster plan.
People have been asking them the same thing on every forum they regular. All they give are non-answers. It doesn't make sense that Shaw won't give them 150 simply because every other mom and pa reseller ISPs are offering 150.
Banned
Mar 4, 2011
660 posts
493 upvotes
Surrey
I've been with them for 1.5 years, I can attest that it's $126 for a refurbished Hitron Modem, needed to go past speeds of 25 MBPS. The previous one they sold me was a Motorola modem that can only do 25 MBPS max. There is also a $20 switch fee as well.
I figured with that $163.13 after tax for upgrading, spreading it over 1 year, my 75 MBPS internet would be $52.16
But I'd also nab a "new" modem from it, which retails at $112 from Amazon, so if we take that cost of $112 out, it would be $41.66 a month.

So for the switch, I'd say that Surf Internet pockets the $20 service charge as well as maybe $60-$80 for the modem, totally $100.
So in giving them an extra $100 needlessly, it increases your price by $8.33, which on top of the $39.99 regular price, is $48 for 75 MBPS internet for one year.

I dunno, if the prices stay like this, I'd stay with them indefinitely, so in the long run, it'll be worth it.
Fulfillment: 1930, 1966, 1975, 1980, 1981 9.20 14:00, 1984 3.14
Feb 5, 2005
637 posts
89 upvotes
They told me on the phone that the $39.99 price was for 5 yrs.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1990 posts
653 upvotes
Ottawa
Skidz wrote: They told me on the phone that the $39.99 price was for 5 yrs.
That's nice. After 5 years, we may all use 300m instead of 30m.
L.I.F.E. - Let It Flow Effortlessly - R. McDougal/ Isle of View
Enjoy your candle of life. May it warm you & light your way.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2006
1136 posts
575 upvotes
Good deal for thouse outside vancouver area look into can-com instead(shaw) , a bit more monthly but no setup fees modem fees etc. Not to mention top quality service...
Sep 8, 2006
783 posts
279 upvotes
Richmond
headhunt3r wrote:

Some notes:
- sizeable upfront cost for modem and installation
they waive installation now if you prepay for 12 months.